Beirut explosion

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by gsbuickman, Aug 4, 2020.

1. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

Wow, holy sh!t Stimpy. Idk wth happen but I have a sneaky suspicion this probably isn't good in one form or another but check out the recent explosion in Beirut it's nuts.

jwrauch, neophyte, goat roper and 5 others like this.
  2. shanebrews

shanebrews G&G Evangelist

The official report is that a warehouse full of high explosives went up.

jwrauch, neophyte, ChaZam and 3 others like this.

3. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    That is what I heard also. Its {It was} a storage warehouse on the river. They say something explosive was stored in there. Some are speculating old ordinance stored and was unstable. Some say fertilizer or other explosive chemicals.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    neophyte, ChaZam, mauser9 and 3 others like this.
  4. shanebrews

shanebrews G&G Evangelist

Israel was quick to deny any involvement.

neophyte, BigEd63, ChaZam and 3 others like this.
  5. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    The last report I read said it was a warehouse full of fireworks. That's consistent with film I saw of the explosion. Lots of smoke, bright yellow flashes, not flames or gunshots, and then a major kaboom without the kind of shock wave that takes down buildings, though it knocked the cameraman down.

I think this is an ordinary industrial accident, not a military strike or a terrorist act. Those still happen, even in war zones like Lebanon.

6. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Holy Sh!t is right!! Just caught it on the news. Some say it was chemicals but could be other stuff as well. Many dead and loads injured they said.

7. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    Thats crazy how violent the explosion was after the fire started. Those big buildings next to the warehouse looked like toys beside that fire bomb.

8. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

wow! when did that happen?

ChaZam likes this.
  9. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

This morning I think. Looked like a mushroom cloud from the atomic bomb.

10. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

jwrauch, BudW, FortyXDM and 7 others like this.
  11. Leftyfixit

Leftyfixit G&G Enthusiast

The same stuff that was used in the Kansas city blast. It is a fertilizer additive with a kick. It is highly volitile.

neophyte and TXplt like this.
  12. FN FAL

FN FAL NOT a new member Forum Contributor

"was" being the key factor here. Was being improperly stored

Was that not Oklahoma City ? or did I miss something else.

I think it goes to show the destruction at OKC was something other than a few barrels of ammonium nitrate and diesel fuel mix. 2700 tons did not take down surrounding buildings and I would consider the building at OKC way better built than these.

13. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

Who knows what it was and we'll probably never know but whatever it was it was impressive and that looked like a hell of a shock wave. Just my 02¢ and I'm not saying it was or wasn't but it seems to me that fertilizer has become me one-size-fits-all answer these days. Who knows at the end of the day it's probably just a distraction.

jwrauch, blaster, neophyte and 2 others like this.
  14. Ranger4

Ranger4 G&G Evangelist

A fertilizer mix can take many forms, just like say propane bottles in an enclosed space. The OKC bombing used 4,800 pounds of ammonium nitrate, not much really. Any rancher will know that if you want to refurbish an over grazed pasture, it is common to hit it with 100 pounds of nitrogen per acre. That said, enough to cover 48 acres is all they had for the OKC bombing. It is also common for progressive farmers and ranchers to watch the weather and apply fertilizer immediately before a heavy rain is forecast. Ranching is just like any other business, if you can maximize grass at one location you can save the cost of moving livestock and any additional costs of water, fence repair and even land rent at a second grazing location. Point is they are not going to stop selling nitrogen which in turn produces food.

The bombing all across the Mideast and most other places where nitrogen has been used for bombs was simply by soaking the nitrogen with diesel fuel and then igniting it. In fact, this was a common method of refurbishing old water wells that had lost their ability to provide water. The farmer or well guy would simply dump 50 pounds of nitrogen into the well, a gallon or two of diesel and then go to lunch when he got back he would drop his detonator into the well, blow it and then wait until a day or two and see if it had worked. The explosion pushes out any dirt, sand and debris that flowed toward the well, possibly opened up cracks in the shale and let water flow back to the well head.

I am told it worked often as not. So Terry Nichols and Timothy McVeigh growing up in rural Kansas did not have to be chemists, every farmer in the state knew the danger of that 4,800 pounds of fertilizer and how to fire it up. I do think they have changed the formula a little so that it is harder to get diesel to soak into it so now it is less explosive and harder to ignite. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fertilizer-used-in-terror-bombs/

I have no clue what happened in Beirut, they do not have 88,000 safety regs like we do in the US, so probably was just some unfortunate accident. Time will tell, maybe. FWIW

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  15. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Reminds me a lot of the huge explosion at a fertilizer plant in West, Texas back on April 17, 2013...

16. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    And I just thought it was a Lebanese drivers education course.

jwrauch, Dannyboy53, mauser9 and 2 others like this.
  17. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

This is exactly what I was thinking—but even years before that. The Texas city disaster. Gotta lot of history repeating itself lately.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_City_disaster

ChaZam and neophyte like this.
  18. draftingmonkey

draftingmonkey G&G Evangelist

Could be more than that...clipped this from the BBC. They also lost the bulk of their grain reserves stored next to where the ammonium nitrate was located, from a 3 month reserve supply to less than one. With the chaos that has been happening in Lebanon lately, makes me wonder if it was really an accident???

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-middle-east-53664184

Why was ammonium nitrate being stored at the port?
    Lina Khatib, who leads the Middle East and North Africa Programmes at Chatham House in London, has questioned exactly why so much of a potentially explosive substance was being stored so close to residential neighbourhoods.

"Who needs 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate?" she asked. "It is known that this substance is used for making explosives and it is also known that Hezbollah, the Lebanese armed group, is often smuggling material like this into Lebanon through the port, so it is plausible that Hezbollah might have some sort of link to the ammonium nitrate that exploded at the port but, of course, it's too early to tell.

"But certainly this is not a normal circumstance. Lebanon's agriculture industry certainly had not been benefiting from tonnes of fertilizer sitting in a port for six years."

Lebanon left with 'less than a month' of grain reserves
    Lebanon's economy minister says the country has just enough grain reserves for "a bit less than a month" after the blast destroyed its main silo.

Raoul Nehme told news agency Reuters that the country needed at least three months' worth of grain stored for its food security.

However, there are ships on the way with more. Lebanon now faces the challenge of finding somewhere new to store it.

19. Sav .250

Sav .250 G&G Evangelist

This mornings Sentinel news paper.

" ..........The blast was caused by the detonation of more than 2,700 tons of ammonium nitrate that had been stored at the dock in a warehouse since it was confiscated from a cargo ship in 2014."

Ranger4, rando, ChaZam and 2 others like this.
  20. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

2,700 tons is a helluva lot!! No wonder the blast was so incredible.