Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired a Benelli Nova 12 ga pump and I was wondering if anyone else here has some. I have heard good things about it, and especially liked the capability to handle 3.5" Mag shells.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,391 Posts
Also have an 870.

I have nothing against the Bennelli. Some don't like the futuristic layout. I like the shell cutoff and ruggedness.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have shot the Nova and find it rather light to be shooting magnum loads. I think I would opt for the optional recoil reducer that goes into the stock if I was to own one. Gander Mountain at Kenosha had everyday price of $199 ea last week. Thought it to be a good deal, but no recoil reducer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ScottD said:
I have shot the Nova and find it rather light to be shooting magnum loads. I think I would opt for the optional recoil reducer that goes into the stock if I was to own one.
Though I don't have a stiff aversion to recoil (most of my rifles are .30-06 and .303 British calibers), I'm wary of shooting many of the 3 1/2 inch Magnums without the recoil reducer. I may get it before the Spring seal hunting season comes around. Apparently its pretty easy to install yourself.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,391 Posts
I'd go with the recoil reducer.

The funny thing about hard kicking loads is that when the adrenilin is pumping and you have more clothes on, it dosen't seem that bad. My brother found this out on his SBE he bought this year.

Just shooting causually in "T" shirt weather, the roman candles rock his boat a bit. However get a bunch of ducks screaming through the decoys and it dosen't bother him at all.

The warm weather proposition for the 3.5" may be turkey season. Lighter clothing may enhance felt recoil a bit.

BTW. A little known fact about turkey hunting with heavy kicking guns. DO NOT BRACE YOUR SHOULDER TO A TREE AND PULL THE TRIGGER! This has hurt many a hunter. You need some give behind that shoulder.

That said, the 3.5" is really not needed on a regular basis. It's nice to have the option, especially with Steel Shot, but there are a lot of 2 3/4" & 3" loads that do the job well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yah, during hunting season up here, the weather's pretty cool, so one does tend to be bunded up. Perhaps that's why the recoil doesn't bother me much. Agreed on the utility of the 3.5" Mag shells too. Other than for geese and seals, I probably won't be using them much.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not talking about skipping ice pans to club the little whitecoats (the ones Hollywood and the animal rights crowd think are so cute and cuddly), but rather shooting adult seals (some of them quite large) in open water from a boat. Most times all you can see is the bobbing head, so it can be pretty challenging to close the distance quickly and quietly, and then try and hit that fairly small (and tough) target. Its fun, and good eating too.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,391 Posts
Oh yeah,
I figured it wasn't the stereotypical seal bashing. Figued something different. Just intrigued. How do you cook them? What parts are best to eat. Is there a lot of fat?
What kind of limits are there? Do you have seal tags:)?

I need to know these cultural things for when I go to Newfoundland again :right:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, I don't do much cooking myself, but I do like it bottled. Most of the meat is found in the flippers and shoulders, and not much anywhere else. There isn't much blubber in the springtime, but in any event, most of it is close to the pelt. IIRC, the bag limit was around a half dozen last year. Its a fairly heavily regulated hunt, as I sure you can imagine (given all the negative publicity), and I have to participate as an apprentice under someone with all the paperwork. Apparently, even that system is gone by the wayside now, but I am grandfathered in. There aren't any tags.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Shaun, I assume you've had no trouble with the synthetic stock or slide in cold weather ? That's been my only concern. Hoping to get to use mine soon, hunting murres (also called turres) at sea.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nova pump

I'm Hoping to get a new Nova 12ga. pump 3 1/2" soon, Ive heard nothing but great things about this gun. I hope to drop many ducks and geese in the next couple years. Thanks for the information guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts