Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had an issue with my AR 15 Build at about 5000 rounds in. Noticed the buffer retainer had bent slightly and the buffer face had mild scars to show where it was hitting the pin. Well, took some measurements and found out the hole in the receiver had been drilled .01 too close to the buffer. That and the genuine colt M16 spec bolt carrier, had been milled in spec but very much so on the short side of it.It allowed the buffer to hit the pin just hard enough to bend it after 5000 rounds.
Well, the 1 year warranty on the receiver had long since ran out.
This gave me 4 solutions at the time.
* Re drill and bush the receiver, taking a chance at ruining it.
* Buy another bolt and carrier and hope it works.(expensive)
* Get a captured buffer and spring set up.(expensive)
* Have a ridge milled around the buffer to miss it hitting the pin.(almost did this)
I chose the 5th solution. Do nothing at all and just keep an eye on it.
Well after another 1000 rounds it finally has bent - fatigued, to the point I either need to break off the pin, before the AR does and eats it. Then live with the buffer flying across the room every time I split the rifle(which it does right now any way).
Or try a fix.
Really do not want to change out any moving parts, or do any machining as the rifle works flawlessly, and the damage to the buffer is just superficial.
Well found this at Galloway for 20 bucks. Since I have used some of their other no nonsense solutions in the past with only the best of success and satisfaction. Figure give it a try.
It just arrived today.Will be posting picks of the repair later this week.

upload_2020-11-12_18-32-38.jpeg

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,399 Posts
Ummmm...there's another solution.....

Just loosen the castle nut, unscrew the buffer tube a little bit, and take it and the spring out (WARNING: the pin is tiny and sharp and might go ping under the spring tension so wear eye pro working around ANY springs). The gun runs fine without a buffer retainer. It makes it a little more of a PITA when you open up the upper and the spring/buffer assembly come out but this is no big deal either and it's easy to put back in before you close things up again (and it gives you a chance to wipe the gunk off of the spring and buffer anyway if you're into that kind of thing). The only thing that can happen is you forget it isn't there and the buffer spring/buffer come out when you open it but this isn't a big deal either.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ummmm...there's another solution.....

Just loosen the castle nut, unscrew the buffer tube a little bit, and take it and the spring out (WARNING: the pin is tiny and sharp and might go ping under the spring tension so wear eye pro working around ANY springs). The gun runs fine without a buffer retainer. It makes it a little more of a PITA when you open up the upper and the spring/buffer assembly come out but this is no big deal either and it's easy to put back in before you close things up again (and it gives you a chance to wipe the gunk off of the spring and buffer anyway if you're into that kind of thing). The only thing that can happen is you forget it isn't there and the buffer spring/buffer come out when you open it but this isn't a big deal either.
Yep,forgot to mention the part deleat option.
Thing is, I am the type that would always forget and end up getting whacked by the buffer, usually in the eye. If I leave myself a way to get injured, or lose or damage a part,....it will eventually happen. lol
So I figured $20 more on a rifle, I have gotten a bit of use out of, is not a big deal to prevent that.
Already have the part so were in it, as they say.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ok here is what I am dealing with. Both receivers are in spec but stacked on the wrong side, of each other, detent hole is slightly off. And bolt Carrier on the short side of specs. Not one thing an issue in itself, but add them up and this is what you get.
If specs are right, and you have not developed tolerance stacking...the rear of the bolt career should be just hitting the buffer, at the point of closing the receivers together. Not as in the pick.
Wish I would have known to look for this when I built the gun, but live and learn, lol
IMG_20201113_124406343_HDR~2.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Now here is what it caused to happen, I believe if I had used a cheap retainer, it would not have faired these well after 6000 rounds.
Notice the chapter marks on the edge of the buffer. Of course this is a severely ran over a long time case. So mine may be a bit more prominent than most, more like chew marks. :eek:
IMG_20201113_125508948_HDR~2.jpg

Ps. Pay no attention to the hillbilly fitment, file fitting job, on the out of clocked Cheap buffer tube.

Imagine all the aluminum shavings that worked their way thru this gun before finding a way out.Can any one say used and abused, lol

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Y
They sure are proud of that little thing!
E
P
Yep, but unfortunately it is the least expensive, easiest fix, without going part delete.
With Galloway, it has always been pay once, cry once, then done. At least in my experience.
Tell you what, it is an awwful pretty, flawlessly machined, and polished piece of stainless. Almost too pretty for my ugly old yote gun.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,399 Posts
My ST-T2's have the same ring from the BCG but part of normal wear.

What REALLY confuses me is one of them has a single dent in the buffer dead-center--almost like an exactly round punch. It hasn't gotten worse; it's just there like someone took a whack at it with a punch then left it alone.

No idea what it is or how it got there.

Perhaps I dropped it on something protruding and then forgot I'd dropped it. But it's weird.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had to take a file to the end of the buffer tube, to get it to butt up against the step in the new part properly.
If you need to file fit do not get in a hurry, You could go too far and ruin it.
Just took 2 swipes, test fitted, 2 more test fitted, and so forth till it fit right with everything lining up. IMG_20201114_162024952_HDR~2.jpg

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Very nice! unfortuante issue, but you handled it admirably!

thats one of the things I love about ar's, if your willing with a little skill and the right tools, you can fix most stuff or upgrade at home for no cost other then the new parts.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very nice! unfortuante issue, but you handled it admirably!

thats one of the things I love about ar's, if your willing with a little skill and the right tools, you can fix most stuff or upgrade at home for no cost other then the new parts.
But just in case things get rough make sure you have a tactical bottle opener on one of your Combo tools. And a UTube account.:D:D:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts