Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I haven't been in a place to do much with guns for a number of years. Lord willing that's changed this year. I posted in the Glock forum that I had bought a 43x. I also ordered a Bergara B14 HMR Wilderness in 308. I had strongly considered 6.5 Creedmoor, but between the fact that I do want to hunt deer, and possibly elk with it; and the fact it the 6.5 isn't available right now, 308 it was. I've now got to find a scope for it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My wife and I haven't been in a place to do much with guns for a number of years. Lord willing that's changed this year. I posted in the Glock forum that I had bought a 43x. I also ordered a Bergara B14 HMR Wilderness in 308. I had strongly considered 6.5 Creedmoor, but between the fact that I do want to hunt deer, and possibly elk with it; and the fact it the 6.5 isn't available right now, 308 it was. I've now got to find a scope for it.
Nothing wrong with the 6.5. But the odds of finding 308 ammo vs 6.5 ammo in small town stores is not even close. The big few, 223, 243, 30-30, 308, 270, 30-06 and maybe 7mm mag and 300 Win mag, are in every feed store that sells ammo in the west. And, you can load anything between 100 grain and 250 grain, yes I have some 250 .308 bullets. In my reloading room, I probably have well over a dozen different bullets that fit 30 cal today and everyone who reloads will have a few. And while everybody makes it not everybody stocks it. I just checked ammoseek, they show only 12 people selling 6.5 at the lowest price of $1.74 per round and 80 selling 308 starting at 79 cent per round. That's my take on it.

I have very little advice on scopes. I have maybe 3 dozen scoped rifles, some very cheap scopes and some not so cheap. I have fixed 4 power up to 24x and I have killed lots of deer, antelope and elk out to beyond 500 yards with maybe 50 beyond 200 yards. I say all that to say most of them were killed with $75-$150 scopes. Except for the first and last 20 minutes of the day or a very cloudy day, there is not a great deal of difference in clarity out to 250 yards. The $100 scope will pass 94% of light on a sunny day and a $1,000 scope may pass 97%, but none will ever get beyond about that 97%. So, just decide what your needs are and then go to large gun store and take the cheapy and the better one and look across the store with each and compare small labels on merchandise across the store. Then decide. Manufacturing today has solved all the waterproofing and fogging issues, so whether you buy the $100 Leupold or the $1,000 one those issues do not matter. My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
23,739 Posts
Vortex has some good scopes and even their cheapest entry level scopes have their great warranty. Primary Arms in Houston markets some scopes branded in their name that seem to be regarded pretty well too, some quite affordable and others a little more pricey. Another brand that is quickly carving out some market share in the optics marketplace is Sig Sauer. I still have a Sig BDX scope and one of their smartypants BDX rangefinder combo that I haven't paired up and tested out yet.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I'm not very impressed with Vortex scopes unless you're talking about the Razor series. Their lower tier scopes have always been plagued with issues. Yes, They have a great warranty, and more than likely, you will need it at least once if you buy one.

Primary Arms scopes are another cheap brand that I'd stay away from. I have one of their 4-14x FFP Mil-dot scopes, it's junk! Yes, The glass is decent, but it doesn't track very good, and the turret feel is terrible.
Their top end scopes are now made at LOW in Japan, but I'd buy a better known brand name before I'd pay the same price range as Primary Arms.

A lot depends on the type's of shooting you will be doing, as well as the budget you have for a scope.
For a hunting style scope, I'd look at brands like Zeiss, Meopta, Nightforce, Bushnell, Steiner, Swarovski, and Leupold.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I agree with Vortex (they also have a big discount for veterans, as much as 40% I think) another brand I like is Leupold.
Where do I find info on the Vortex discount for Veteran? Thanks.

Reactions: Ron The Legend

·
Less well known member
5,001 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thanks. Have you actually bought things through that program? Vortex just uses a marketing company and they do not get good reviews.Expertcity.com discounts for LEO/Military/Vet : ar15 (reddit.com)

The "ProVoice" program requires way too much personal information and they (the marketing company) puts an app on your computer so probably not for me. Like Vortex but the reviews say you can get just as good a deal on Amazon. So, if you have personally used it I would appreciate the feedback.

Reactions: Ron The Legend

·
Less well known member
5,001 Posts
I bought a scope for a Rem 700 a year ago, the discount was 40%. I don't recall going through a third party though.

It took about a month to receive it. I got a $1200 scope for around $800.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I bought a scope for a Rem 700 a year ago, the discount was 40%. I don't recall going through a third party though.

It took about a month to receive it. I got a $1200 scope for around $800. View attachment 158231
Thanks, I chatted with Vortex today. They do it both ways, if you go thru ExpertVoice which is the marketing company they prefer you go though it can take a month or two. They said I could deal direct with Vortex and get the 40%, but that is not 40% or normal priced, it is from the MSRP. I am looking at a Viper 6.5 x 20 x 50, which they say I can get for $699 plus shipping less 40% so I can buy it for $420 plus shipping. I checked the exact model on Optics Planet, Bass Pro and Cabelas. Their everyday price is $499 at all 3 dealers. so after shipping the savings is only about $50.00. So, I think I will just wait and see if they go on sale after Christmas. Thanks for the lead.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

It took about a month to receive it. I got a $1200 scope for around $800. View attachment 158231
How happy are you with it?
My main experience with Vortex has been the Strike Fire and SparkII red dots. They don't hold a candle to an Aimpoint CompM4 or even M2. But I'm comparing an optic to one that's 4 times its price. How does a $1200 Vortex compare against a $1200 Leupold or a Steiner?

·
Less well known member
5,001 Posts
How happy are you with it?
My main experience with Vortex has been the Strike Fire and SparkII red dots. They don't hold a candle to an Aimpoint CompM4 or even M2. But I'm comparing an optic to one that's 4 times its price. How does a $1200 Vortex compare against a $1200 Leupold or a Steiner?
All of my rifles but one, have either a Leupold or Vortex on them. I would say that they are pretty even.
I can't speak to the Steiner because I've never even seen one.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I suppose the proper questions would have been what is the primary intended usage going to be for the rifle/scope combination and approximately how much is the scope budget?
I'm prepared to spend around a grand. I would like to be able to use it out to 1000 yards if I want, but also to be able to hunt. I'm trying to set this rifle up as a compromise between a hunting rifle, and a bench rifle. I'm still pretty young, I can handle lugging the thing around.
I think I want front focal plane, windage and elevation adjustments, in either mils or MOA so I can dope particular loads. I don't really know what I want for magnification, although because I'm planning to hunt, I'd like it go fairly low.

While this is above my price range, it's the kind of thing I had in mind. There is one on sale at the local sportsmans, down to 1200 bucks...

·
Premium Member
23,739 Posts
I'm prepared to spend around a grand. I would like to be able to use it out to 1000 yards if I want, but also to be able to hunt. I'm trying to set this rifle up as a compromise between a hunting rifle, and a bench rifle. I'm still pretty young, I can handle lugging the thing around.
I think I want front focal plane, windage and elevation adjustments, in either mils or MOA so I can dope particular loads. I don't really know what I want for magnification, although because I'm planning to hunt, I'd like it go fairly low.

While this is above my price range, it's the kind of thing I had in mind. There is one on sale at the local sportsmans, down to 1200 bucks...
Here's a place up in Colorado that a friend turned me onto. He ordered a expensive scope from them that was a demo that they had clearance priced. (all I've ordered from them is some ammo) They do handle some uber expensive stuff but also have some substantial discounts at times on blems, demos, clearance items, discontinued models. It'll be difficult to find a scope that'll be suitable for 1000 yard target shooting and still be suitable for typical hunting ranges and stay fairly close to the $1000.00 price range. If I was in that spot though I would lean more towards buying a scope with the best glass and light gathering ability that I could get and give up a wee bit on high powered magnification.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts