Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yep. 30mm or 1 inch, high or medium, depending on 40, 44 or 50 mm objectives. Luepold, Redfield, or maybe Warne is my choice.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yep. 30mm or 1 inch, high or medium, depending on 40, 44 or 50 mm objectives. Luepold, Redfield, or maybe Warne is my choice.
I ended up buying a Steiner with 34mm tube, 4-16x, 56mm objective. the rifle doesn't have iron sights, so I'm trying to figure out if I can get by with medium height or if I need high

·
Registered
698 Posts
Camera land has the Athlon Cronus BTR scopes on sale. It sucks that you already bought a Steiner, the Cronus BTR is a much better scope.

I've got an Athlon Cronus that in my eye's is much better than the Steiner T5Xi that I have. And I just bought a Delta Stryker HD that beats both of them.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
If the Begara has a scope rail on it, Medium rings should work just fine. I run medium ARC M10 rings on all my 34mm tubed scopes with 56mm objective lenses, and have plenty of scope / barrel clearance.

Appreciate the advice, judging by the photos, you've got the experience to know.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Where do I find info on the Vortex discount for Veteran? Thanks.
Go to Vortex website and you'll find it. It's under Vortex Nation, Military and Law Enforcement.

You have to email them a copy of your DD-214 and they will approve you in a few days. It's a great program. I haven't seen any other company out there that does this for Vets. Leupold discounts active duty and LEO but not Vets. At least that was a few years ago. Maybe things have changed a bit.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Joe. This is close to what I put new glass on my deer rifle with. The 6;5x20 that came off is destined for my M1A. VX-3i 4.5-14x50mm | Leupold
I have purchased 2 of the VX31 4.5-14x40MM with 30mm tubes in the past year. I went with the CDS models. I have nothing but good to say about them so far. One went on my 270 Win and the other on my 300 H&H. I bought them both off of Optics Planet when they were on sale.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Go to Vortex website and you'll find it. It's under Vortex Nation, Military and Law Enforcement.

You have to email them a copy of your DD-214 and they will approve you in a few days. It's a great program. I haven't seen any other company out there that does this for Vets. Leupold discounts active duty and LEO but not Vets. At least that was a few years ago. Maybe things have changed a bit.
Thanks. You might see my post #12 above. I talked to them direct and checked actual street prices of the model I was interested at 3 places, Optic Planet, Bass Pro and Cabelas. The 40% is off the MSRP. The actual everyday price less the 5% everyday discount for vets at places like Bass Pro and Cabelas with shipping and tax issues, put it cheaper to buy it at Cabelas for me. Probably even less if I can catch a sale. And I prefer to deal locally anyway because if I do not like it I can take it back a week later with no hassle.

Luepold does have a similar program, it applies to all vets, active duty, law enforcement, all federal employees, hunting guides, etc.

Reactions: Brandhard

·
Premium Member
23,743 Posts
Awesome, have you been able to verify that those rings are indeed going to be high enough for the scope?

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
View attachment 159108

UPS delivered my rail and rings today.
You need the scope to match those! I have one Nightforce that I ordered for a customer who has more money than he knows what to do with. He came back a year later and says, "I like the scope, but think I want a fixed power. You interested?"

I told him I was but couldn't afford more than maybe $700 for it. He said, "Deal!"

Now I own a slightly used Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56. They are fantastic, but none of their stuff will fall into your <$1000 range I don't believe.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
You need the scope to match those! I have one Nightforce that I ordered for a customer who has more money than he knows what to do with. He came back a year later and says, "I like the scope, but think I want a fixed power. You interested?"

I told him I was but couldn't afford more than maybe $700 for it. He said, "Deal!"

Now I own a slightly used Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56. They are fantastic, but none of their stuff will fall into your <$1000 range I don't believe.
I ended up going a little higher than I intended. Went with a Steiner.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Nice! And it looks like you got the correct ring height for that.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

Finally did some shooting this afternoon. Best group of the day. Aim point was the bottom of the black box. Federal Fusion 165 grain.
I wasn't able to find any ammo, but a guy from work gave me 3 boxes of 308 he had, which was super cool of him, especially given the circumstances lately.
Now I want to try shooting with some match ammo, and an improved shooting setup. Right now I was resting on my sawzall. Did use a rice sock under the buttstock though.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts