Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. Anyone have experience with Bergara rifles? If so, impressions?

I'm one of those internet "surfer" types who skip around different gun-related websites to read reviews by users, which of course are 99% of the time subjective as opposed to objective, but the consistently positive comments about Bergara makes that Spanish brand noteworthy. In a way I have a Bergara, that being the barrel on a CVA Accura V2 muzzleloader, but that's not the same thing as an entire rifle. The Bergara rifle that catches my attention most is the Premier HMR Pro... sexy!

So while Bergara appears to have quite a good reputation amongst owners, I'd be mostly interested in GnG member perspectives. Hopefully others may find interest as well. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Hi All. Anyone have experience with Bergara rifles? If so, impressions?

I'm one of those internet "surfer" types who skip around different gun-related websites to read reviews by users, which of course are 99% of the time subjective as opposed to objective, but the consistently positive comments about Bergara makes that Spanish brand noteworthy. In a way I have a Bergara, that being the barrel on a CVA Accura V2 muzzleloader, but that's not the same thing as an entire rifle. The Bergara rifle that catches my attention most is the Premier HMR Pro... sexy!

So while Bergara appears to have quite a good reputation amongst owners, I'd be mostly interested in GnG member perspectives. Hopefully others may find interest as well. Thanks.
I have a Bergara B14-HMR in .308 winchester.

B-14 HMR (Hunting and Match) Rifle - Bergara Rifles USA

Great rifle. Excellent trigger and the bolt /action is smooooooth.

I got mine for about $1,200 at the time but they have actually since come down in price to around $1,000 or a little under. The HMR was if I remember correctly one of their premier series of rifles at the time I got mine but they have since re-organized their rifle line up and now it's in their standard series I think.

I've had mine for almost 3 years now or so. It's sub MOA with factory match ammo just as advertised. I currently have 860 rounds logged through it that particular rifle about 95% of that being 168g Federal Gold Medal Match.

The HMR was supposed to be a hybrid hunting / target/precision rifle but it's on the heavier side for a hunting rifle at the upper end of 9 lbs. Especially depending on how you outfit it. Mine has an Atlas Bi-Pod and a Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 F1 scope on it.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
I have a B-14 Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor. It's actually the one I put the Riton scope onto and it shoots awesome for me.
The bolt is very smooth. Trigger is great. Overall, a nice gun that shoots way better than I do - I'm using it to learn though.
Supposedly it's nearly the same as a Remington Model 700. I couldn't find the 34mm scope mounts I wanted for it, but some listed for the 700 fit this nicely.
(TACAV's set-up sounds a lot nicer than mine, but I'm sure mine cost less - and I'm jealous)

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
my only complaint is they don't make the B-14 in 25-06,, buncha buttholes over there.

oh, you do know Bergara built an entire factory, and then started building their own rifles from scratch just on the profits from selling barrels to replace the junk remington was putting on their 700's.

anyway.
you'd have to give me just about any other rifle on the shelf to stop me from simply buying a Bergara sight unseen.
they are what Remington had been trying to build for the last 20 years,,, only they got it right.

Reactions: TACAV

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Derp.

I actually have the HMR Pro series rifle not the B14 HMR. They look almost the same externally otherwise but mine has the spiral fluted bolt.

Premier HMR Pro Rifle - Bergara Rifles USA

Thats what i get for looking at the website condensed on my phone.

Reactions: Kellen and ChaZam

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Derp.

I actually have the HMR Pro series rifle not the B14 HMR. They look almost the same externally otherwise but mine has the spiral fluted bolt.

Premier HMR Pro Rifle - Bergara Rifles USA

Thats what i get for looking at the website condensed on my phone.
Very nice, Tacav.
Also looking at the Fierce Reaper (folding stock), all carbon, but quite a bit higher cost. That seems to be the one dig against the HMR, it's heavy for a hunting rifle, around 9.8 pounds or so. I'm hoping to keep the a new rig (without scope) down to 7.5 pounds or less. Surprising how a couple pounds difference in a rifle can be pretty obvious after a 14-hour day in the mountains...

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Very nice, Tacav.
Also looking at the Fierce Reaper (folding stock), all carbon, but quite a bit higher cost. That seems to be the one dig against the HMR, it's heavy for a hunting rifle, around 9.8 pounds or so. I'm hoping to keep the a new rig (without scope) down to 7.5 pounds or less. Surprising how a couple pounds difference in a rifle can be pretty obvious after a 14-hour day in the mountains...
Yea i guess it depends on how you hunt. The HMR Pro weight is actually light compared to a military sniper rifle that might get humped around for a while too out in the field. But if you are hunting it might be one of those, if I don't have too then why should I?" sort of things.

If you are only walking a realtively short distance to a fixed deer stand it might be Ok. Or if you are taking really long shots at the extreme end of the caliber's effective range the accuracy and chassis advantages of the system might be worth it. But since you said you are up in the mountains, depending on what mountains, those shots might be still be pretty short. (like the difference between across the narrow valley with lots of tree cover in PA meaning shorter shots vs camped the flat open valleys and plains that you can get with some of the mountains out west.

You might also want to look at the Sig Cross. Its a chassis hunting rifle with a folding stock that weighs in at just about 6.5 lbs.

SIG CROSS Rifle, Bolt Action Hunting | SIG SAUER CROSS Rifle

It only comes chambered in .308, 6.5CM and .277 Fury though. Its their take on the Q Fix rifle that costs about $2k more.

Reactions: Kellen

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
i just changed out the vortex scope to a little bit larger Leupold on the Bergara 0-6.
i noticed the weight change from that.
i have a little stock wrap with a side bag on it i carry 5 rounds, a knife,a lighter, my tag and a small flashlight in it.
i never noticed the weight of the stuff in the stock or the wrap, but that scope was just enough i did notice.

one other little thing i will say about it.
i'm kind of recoil sensitive, and tend to load my stuff a touch light to make a difference.
but this is really the first 0-6 i have been able to sit down behind at the bench and run off an easy 50 or more rds. if i wanted to.
granted i'm just running a 155gr bullet at 2800+fps so it's not like i'm trying to make a 300 win mag out of the thing, but i'd rather shoot it than my 308 which is running over 100fps slower.

Reactions: Kellen

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I'm thinking that G&G member @Brandhard has a Bergara. Perhaps he'll chime in and tell you a little about it Kellen...
About a year ago, I bought a Bergara B14 HMR Wilderness in .308. Haven't shot it too much mostly due to lack of ammo (I live in California due to work), but happy with it so far. Sorry I couldn't give a thorough review. Will add that there were no obvious defects, and it looks and feels like a quality piece should. Just don't have the time behind it to give much meaningful feedback.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I have held several, they are all amazing. I haven't held their chassis rifles but expect big things. Amazing bolt and trigger on their $7-900 rifles and of course their barrels are great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts