Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, have to say I'm excited! Been looking at Thermal's again for awhile and kicked a lot of stuff around and finally took the plunge today.

For anyone interested Bering's been around for awhile and is based out of Texas. Anyway I already have a FLIR PTS233 which was their most basic thermal when they were still making them (1.6x 320x240 60hz with a 12 micron core and fixed focus lens), and although it's it's decent I wanted something with a higher magnification.

So I've been looking and after doing a lot of research found that Bering has a new model (just started shipping this Month / Sept 2020) called the Super Hogster which is a 2.9x 384x288 50hz model with 12 micron core and adjustable focus 35mm lens and a retail of $3,195 with the QD mount installed (non QD is slightly less). If you want the QD the model # BE43045T With the "T" at the end being for the QD mount.

For anyone who's looked at the "Hogster" series in the past they used a 17micron core with lower magnifications (1.4x for the 25mm and 2x for the 35mm) and did not have any built in video recording (had to use an external DVR if you wanted to record), but from most of the forums and Reviews I've read they are highly rated for their price point (currently $2,300 for the 25mm and $2,700 for the 35mm models) and durable, and also have four different profiles you can save for use on different rifles.

One thing I did learn while researching was that the reason for the significantly higher prices on thermals with greater magnification is that the Lens, which is made of germanium is the most costly piece in the scope, even moreso than the sensor. This is also the reason that manufacturers are going to 12 micron cores because the smaller the sensor the more magnification they can get out a given sized lens. (similar to crop factors on digital cameras).

Anyway here are a couple of links on the Super Hogster, Since they are new there's not a large volume of info out there yet.

Super Hogster @ Night Vision Universe (which is where I orded from, they also give a military / LEO discount which saved me a little on list price:
https://nightvisionuniverse.com/pro...288-50hz-be43045t?_pos=6&_sid=33d3ffc4a&_ss=r

YouTube Videos:

Once I get it in and get to play with it for a while I'll likely do a Review on YouTube.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
How well do these work in a less than rural environment?
Just a wondering.

Can't swing that now probably end up with PVS-14 if I can manage it.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
How well do these work in a less than rural environment?
Just a wondering.

Can't swing that now probably end up with PVS-14 if I can manage it.
My experience is that they work good in industrial environments and residential, but your targets of interest may not stand out as much depending on the materials (ie how much heat they hold etc.). Generally you can often make out the scene better due to thermal differences, but at the expense of target aquisition.

I will say this though, Just the other night I was playing around with a Armasight Vulcan 3.5x Gen 3 Alpha NV scope and a Flir PTS233 320x240 1.6x The areas I was observing were the edge of a Woods and a Field with a good bit of taller grass and underbrush.

The difference between the two were immense... A rabbit at approx. 40 yards I could pick out easily with the Thermal (though I had to observe to ID because of the brush), and even knowing where it was at I could not see it with the Gen 3. I also ID's a deer at 70 yards in tall grass / weeds easily with the Thermal and again until the deer stood up straight and looked at me I couldn't see him with the NV even knowing where he was, and in either case if I had the thermal on a Rifle I would have felt comfortable taking a shot, but wouldn't have known they were even there with traditional NV.

Now don't get me wrong, NV has it's place - If you plan on getting around in the dark a PVS-14 is Golden, especially a Gen 3 and thermal can't compare. But for Targeting Thermal IMO is the way to go.

As far as picking up a PVS-14 goes you can get parts kits for around $600-800 not including the tubes then keep an eye on FleaBay for MX-11769 or MX-10160 gen 3 image tubes (the 769's are manual gain and the 160's are auto gain- Aviation type, so the gain knob in on the front doesn't do anything) I've built a couple of Gen 3 PVS-14's for around $1,200 each using New Old Stock blemished image tubes (tube prices vary widely so you have to keep an eye out and look for a seller with plenty of good reviews). The only other thing to be aware of is that if you do a DIY it's not going to be nitrogen purged though it is possible to somewhat purge using an inert gas during assembly if you're creative (I haven't purged mine, and haven't had problems but then I assembled them indoors in a/c with low humidity and don't deal with huge temperature extremes where I'm located either).

So depending on your needs the price difference between an entry level thermal and a regular NV scope isn't very far apart, and though Gen 2 might be tempting there is a world of difference between a budget Gen 2 and Gen 3.

I have a channel on YouTube that has a number of videos pertaining to NV / Thermal that might illustrate things better if you're interested, link below.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIWGWROnY1ORW4ZSuGopPA?view_as=subscriber

1 - 3 of 3 Posts