Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask because I'm looking at this bullet mold that throws these out:

Tin Cylinder Nickel Liquid Aluminium

Rectangle Mammal Font Magenta Circle

Because I'm wanting something as close to the 230gr Hornady XTP in profile and weight. Plus maybe current velocity as I can get.

Anyone use this or something similar in weight and profile?

·
Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I know. Well I got a notification about only one left. So I pushed "the panic button" so to speak.
I was hoping that I'd have time to research.
But you're right I'll just have to see.

This is for my Range Officer government model I traded for last year. So far it's gobbled up XTPs & Rem 185 JHP handloaded ammo without troubles. I've made a point of only using their factory 7-rd mags so far. Which may not be here or there.

·
Registered
12,401 Posts
it'll work just fine.
the TC type nose was the original design for the 9mm, hardly anyone uses it anymore, but it still feeds perfectly and is viable for self defense.

anyway look at it kind of squinty next to a hornady XTP bullet, you'll see.

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
Ed,
See if any retailers are selling this type of bullet, if not perhaps a friend has a mold...try some and see how they work.. As stated above some 1911 can be finicky, I can usually get a 1911 to work...all can have idiosyncrasies..Take a look at Missouri Bullet Company ; I have had outstandingly good results with their bullets..

·
Premium Member
6,028 Posts
I have that mold, and used bullets from it in a couple of Taurus PT 1911 pistols, and a Tiger SR1911. Functions flawlessly in all 3. I think you will like it a lot.
I wish I still had my Taurus PT1911!!! :( :(

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Any out of the box 1911 that doesn't handle RN cast bullets is junk and should be sold, unless a gunsmith can fix it for a very minimal charge. I wouldn't spend more than 50 bucks trying to make it right.
Any 1911 can be easily made to run ball or round nose bullets. A very simple design anybody can fix, and only about three simple issues can cause one to not function, assuming proper ammo and the shooter understands limp wristing.

Think about it, the gun has to move on a time schedule, the bullet fires, the barrel is held in place for a nano-second for pressure to release, then the bullet leaves and recoil pushes the slide backwards. If the empty case does not eject, there is only a couple of reasons why it did not. If the extractor tension is far out of spec then it might not hold the case. Simple fix, adjust the tension or replace it, a cheap fix. The second reason could be a really rough chamber, unlikely but a simple polish with a Flex Hone or finishing reamer would correct that. Should take no more than a couple minutes.

If the gun does not load a new round, also a simple fix. Often a magazine problem where the magazine has lips that hold the cartridge, simple to replace. Sometimes weak springs might cause the problem as well and may not hold the new round in proper position.

Another issue is a rough feed ramp and chamber, simple fix, remove no metal but polish the ramp and chamber to a mirror shine.

All new Guns have rough spots on the slide rails and other moving parts that smooth out over time. Just saying, it does not take a gun Smith to fix the common issues with a 1911. Probably more utube videos on the 1911 than any other platform, most are good.

Just saying, no need to sell your new car if it does not run well. Just figure it out.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
I bought this one several years ago to use in my Ruger 45acp Revolver and it shoots out of my Kimber 1911s just fine.

I didn't pay anywhere near this price for it though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts