close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"Best" .380ACP handgun?

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by john_r, Nov 28, 2017.

1. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Yeah...not a bad gun....and shootable (have both a G43 and a Shield and have shot friends' G42)

BUT

I've never personally seen the logic of not upsizing to a 9 in a frame that's substantially equivalent in the G43. More power, cheaper ammo, better ammo choices.

MosinRuger, neophyte and TACAV like this.
  2. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

yea i agree with all that but I suppose if you are just someone who is really recoil sensitive or something it might be more worthwhile.

blaster, MosinRuger, FortyXDM and 2 others like this.

3. FortyXDM

FortyXDM G&G Evangelist Staff Member

Recoil is the ONLY reason I don't carry a .460 S&W 12 ounce pocket gun !!!!

blaster, TACAV and Wicked109 like this.
  4. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

I bought an Accu-Tec 380 many many years ago, it really resembles the PPK in looks and style. It is extremely accurate because it has a pressed in barrel (not floating). If I knew then what I know now about firearms, I probably would not have bought a 380. Will I keep it, probably - so I won't get in the mood to buy another one. Don't get me wrong, 380s are fine, daughter has her Ruger LCP Custom and she loves it. I like it too, but would rather get a compact 9mm like the Springfield XDs...it has accuracy and comfort covered.

Jaison likes this.
  5. TACAV

Lol recoil is why I carry .38 spl +P’s in my scandium framed Smith and Wesson snubby vs .357 magnums.

And even then you will still have a bleeding hand by the end of a whole box of ammo.

Wicked109 likes this.
  6. FortyXDM

FortyXDM G&G Evangelist Staff Member

Exactly .... That is why I won't consider carrying any gun that I can't like at the range (for at least 50 rounds)

7. TACAV

lol If I wanna practice with that gun I shoot target loads and maybe put gloves on if Im gonna shoot a whole box.

usually the worst I get is a small skin flap that blisters/rubs off on the knuckle of my thumb from where the rubber grips on the side meet the rounded metal edge of the tang.

FortyXDM likes this.
  8. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    I read someplace that the FEG SMC-380 is a .380 ACP version of the FEG PA-63. If that is true, I have to start looking for one. The PA-63 is one of my favorite pistols.

And I yielded to temptation and laid away the Baikal IJ-70 17A. So I really do need to find out if the 9x18 single stack magazines for the Makarov PM fit and work with the .380 17A pistol.

9. Pope130

Pope130 G&G Enthusiast

The SMC-380 is the compact version, PPK size. This is my PA-63 compared to the SMC-380. They both have Marschal grips installed. The second photo shows a comparison of the back straps. The last photo shows the family, at the top right is an AP-MBP in .32, bottom left is a Mark-II, steel frame, flat back strap, in .380.

FEG.JPG 008.JPG 017.JPG

Cyrano, blaster and Junction15 like this.
  10. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

I disagree. I have a Firestorm .380. If you get the factory magazines for it, it's pretty accurate (Mayo jar lid at 10 yds, 10/10), and is very reliable. I have probably 3000 rounds out of mine, and it just now seems to be broken in. For $325 (CA price), it's a great gun, at a great price.