Gun and Game Forum banner

best ak-47 variant???

22K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  shockme77 
#1 ·
i hear the vepr are preety good as are the yugo's whats your opinion?>

#2 · (Edited)
Best by objective standards - my opinion is the SLR101, Bulgarian milled AK imported as single stack but professionally restored to military config using US parts. Why? Excellent uniform machining of receiver and all other critically mating components (bolt, barrel, carrier). Side rail scope mount on milled receiver is actually worth using, while those on stamped receivers may or may not be firm enough.

IF you don't want to use a scope, I'd say a Saiga in the chambering on your choice and adapted to use military mags (if in 223 or X39) and in pistol grip config.

Neither will be cheap. The Bulgarian is worth it if it's worth it to you. The converted Saiga is worth it in the most objective sense.

The VEPRs and Yugos are worth it IF you want a heavy gage AK. The Yugos are built on US receivers and some with US barrels using ex military kits, most of them refurbished from an unattractive condition. The VEPRs are all Russian but with US compliance parts. Some people have criticized their QC, but the VEPRs are known for being very accurate.

#6 ·
That's a good question. My answer is that there are things that are AKs and things that aren't. SKSs and Dragunovs aren't AKs, they're SKSs and Dragunovs. FPK/PSL/Romak-IIIs that are marked Dragunovs are actually AKs.

Ok, to get a little more technical, there's a light machinegun designed from the AK called the RPK. Some AK variants are actually based on this. Some parts interchange. This includes VEPRs, FPKs, and some Yugos.

#8 ·
I was wondering the same thing meatloaf and thanks for answering it BattleRifleG3 and I see what you mean now by there is no Romanian Dragonov, they are just AKs with Dragonov style stocks.

#13 ·
I would answer that a true AK is one that was built on Kalashnokov's design in a Soviet factory.

Anything else is a variant.

It woud be like..."What is a genuine Colt 1911"?......a Colt 1911!

Anything else is a variant.

#18 ·
True AK's are built in Russian factories and are selective fire. By Russian made it also means they were built to V. Kalashinkovs design, but also built in factories that were Soviet Bloc nations. Some of those nations made modifications to orginal design to fit their own needs and spec's, but used the same basic designs. Take the example of Maddi made in Egypt. They were made in their factories but on tooling and use of tech personel supplied by Russia. Your variants will come from factories that use their designs but are built for import and are semi-auto only.

#19 ·
My .02 The Arsenal Bulgarians are definitely top of the line. I have several Century Yugos and they are great, much better than the Romanian crap that Century kicks out. That being said, a Romy kit built on a quality receiver by someone who knows what they are doing (not me) is a fine weapon. All ak's are great, even a lowly WASR can be a fun weapon. Bottom line, as long as it's built correctly, you pretty much can't go wrong with an AK.

#20 · (Edited)
IMHO.....IF it fits the classic silhouette of an AK made in a country aligned with the commies......it's an AK. A "shorty" Krinkov is an "AK variant." As an M4 is a variant of an M16.

A Velmet and Galil ain't.......cause, it ain't a commie made weapon. Though, one could say it's a variant.

Now, would I want an AK47 style rifle with a stupid looking frt hand grip, thumb hole stock or muzzle device? Nope.....not me. I'm a traditional kind of guy.

Aloha, Mark

#21 ·
Now, would I want an AK47 style rifle with a stupid looking frt hand grip, thumb hole stock or muzzle device? Nope.....not me. I'm a traditional kind of guy.

Aloha, Mark
Muzzle device?... Like the 45-degree slant muzzle break that came original on the Russian AK-47? Can't think of much more traditional than that.

Personally, I like the NodakSpud Tabuk/SVD-style flash hider (found near the bottom of the page) and will be putting that on my long-barreled AK.

#22 · (Edited)
Weren't all Kalashnikov AKs full auto?

No. The 7.62x51 , 8mm and .308 M76 Yugoslav countersniper rifle were not select fire even in the original military configuaration. They are AK variants. Big FUBAR with those guns when they were imported a few years back as the receivers were cut for the safety sears which is the same thing as an auto sear. Lots of people got their stuff confiscated by the ATF.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.