Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well now I have bought the gun (as can be seen a few posts below this one) I now need to find ammo for it. Ammo now a days isn't as cheap as it used to be. I was thinking the best way to go would be with milsurp ammo. It has already been suggested to me to use the Turkish ammo in it since it is a Turkish Mauser.

So I guess my question is what is the best suggested stuff? Will it all mostly give the same performance? Is there any 8mm ammo that I shouldn't shoot out of it thats made for Mausers? Any info will help. Thanks for all the info on the other thread, it is much appreciated.

·
Registered
741 Posts
J or JS refers to bore diameter. J is .318, JS is .323. Any 8x57 ammo you are likely to encounter will be .323. Your rifle is almost certainly .323. There is probably no issue.

American commercial 8x57 ammunition is loaded light because there are still a few .318 bore rifles out there. European commercial ammo is hot stuff, if a couple of boxes of RWS I shot are representative.

Any 8x57 milsurp should be OK. The Turkish actions are not the strongest, and heat treatment was inconsistent. Best have the rifle checked by a knowlegeable 'smith before shooting. Then have the headspace re-checked after a couple of hundred rounds.

Remington hunting ammo should be fine, if expensive. Just don't expect much performance. It's a popgun load. The brass is great for reloading.

I hunt with a sporterized Kar 98K that still has the original military barrel. It is a WWII Steyr, groups 1.5" with handloads, and anchors elk.

turner is correct, the 8x57 does not get the respect it deserves in the US. It's ability to handle heavy bullets makes it superior to the .30-06 for some uses. (After all, the .30-06 is a copy of the 8x57!) But you have to handload to get the performance.

Good luck from a retired USAF O-5.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts