close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best Ammo

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Lanny, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Lanny

Lanny G&G Newbie

In your collective opinions, who makes the best factory FMJ and soft/hollow point ammo for M1 Carbines? I can go to the local outlets and buy 50 rds. for $10.99, but I haven't been real particular about the brands. I also handload 110-gr. softpoints using either IMR

2. Lanny

Lanny G&G Newbie

Oops, hit the wrong button; sorta like wanting the safety and instead catching the mag release button...anyhow, to finish up my earlier post...I use either IMR or Hodgdon 4227 powders and get a good snap! on firing; more noticeable than factory fodder. Thanks.

3. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I like the Remington soft points. They haven't let me down yet. I am going to try Winchesters' hollow points next week. As soon as I chronograph them, I'll give you a full report. As far as what brand is best, the one your carbine shoots without any problems is the best one. :)

4. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

Mil Spec shoots the best in my opinion. lemme know if you want some.

5. willys

willys G&G Newbie

TEXAS
    jarcp
    what is the price?

6. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

Sorry willys, I spoke too soon, the guy I usually buy from is out. Which really sucks, because he was cheap! and I'm almost out.

7. Lanny

Lanny G&G Newbie

Calvin -- really interested in hearing your chronograph results; don't have one myself and I'm wondering if the factory stuff actually lives up to the "1900 fps" I'm always hearing about. Thanks.

8. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

I can shoot a 1'-1 1/2" group with my Underwood at 100 yards with Winchesters White box 30 Carbine ammo. My Underwood barrel may have allot to do with it but we were amazed at how good it shot. Keep in mind each rifle will act differently to ammo. My brother in-law and I have the same Ruger 10-22's and mine will only shoot Winchester Wild cat's and his only Remington. If we switch they stove pipe his worse than mine. Not sure why but always bring a box of a few and see what she likes. This picture is from the first three rounds I bench shot with my Underwood at 100 yards. I know few may believe but those who know me can say I never lie. Rick B

[​IMG]

9. Lanny

Lanny G&G Newbie

Real nice, Doc. Mine doesn't do that well, even with carefully-brewed handloads. But I'll keep trying. What else am I going to do with all that empty brass?