Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Among all the other rifles, the Ruger 10/22 is the best weapon for home defense. Other than this, we could say Remington 700 and AR-15. That too, you need to acquire an AR-15 from good brands such as Daniel Defense and Sig Sauer. Even Ruger is known to sell AR-15 rifles.

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
Looks like a fragment of a post that was in response to some other post.

Either way, I don't agree with his contentions.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
you know what this world needs?
a good 44 caliber rim fire 10-22.
They had one. The 44 Carbine. Well...sorta. But not rimfire. It was the size and shape of one. The one I had was "cursed" right out of the box. First thing, it had to go back to Ruger because it was a "single shot". Ruger fixed it and sent it back.
Second, no matter what I put in it for ammo, that thing just would not kill anything. I could get 3" groups at 50 yards - not great but it should have been adequate in the thick woods I hunted in (and I do not shoot through bushes) Easy broadside shots at deer were clean misses.
I put a scope on it. I put aperture sights on it. I even took up reloading, hoping to find the "right" load for it. That gun would not kill anything. One day, I was lined up on a fat woodchuck about 20 feet from me. I was prone and the gun was well supported. I slowly squeezed the trigger. Clean miss!!!! (Saw it several more times after that - not a scratch)

That was that! I sold that gun off and got a Marlin 30-30 and had no trouble getting venison, woodchucks, and squirrels after that.

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
you know what this world needs?
a good 44 caliber rim fire 10-22.
They had one. The 44 Carbine. Well...sorta. But not rimfire. It was the size and shape of one. The one I had was "cursed" right out of the box. First thing, it had to go back to Ruger because it was a "single shot". Ruger fixed it and sent it back.
Second, no matter what I put in it for ammo, that thing just would not kill anything. I could get 3" groups at 50 yards - not great but it should have been adequate in the thick woods I hunted in (and I do not shoot through bushes) Easy broadside shots at deer were clean misses.
I put a scope on it. I put aperture sights on it. I even took up reloading, hoping to find the "right" load for it. That gun would not kill anything. One day, I was lined up on a fat woodchuck about 20 feet from me. I was prone and the gun was well supported. I slowly squeezed the trigger. Clean miss!!!! (Saw it several more times after that - not a scratch)

That was that! I sold that gun off and got a Marlin 30-30 and had no trouble getting venison, woodchucks, and squirrels after that.
You beat me to it, Junction15!

I had one, and sold it. I then bought the Ruger 77/44. I liked it so much I bought another one. One of my friends bought it from me, years later. I still have, and shoot, my first 77/44.

As for the Ruger 10/22, there are more accurate 22 carbines/rifles, and there are prettier carbines/rifles in .22LR, but the are VERY FEW 22 caliber long guns that are as versatile, or as much FUN to shoot, as the Ruger 10/22.

If it was the ONLY long gun I had, I would use it for Home Defense as a backup to my Glocks, but it would not be my first choice for Home Defense.

·
Registered
11,035 Posts
yeah that Ruger was abysmal.
they done a lever rifle that looked an awful lot like a Winchester model 88 that was hit or miss in the accuracy department too.

their biggest problem was they put a rifle diameter barrel on a revolver size chamber and you couldn't make the two work together.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts