Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I've been doing some research on the literally HUNDREDS of AR15 configurations and to be honest...I'm a little overwhelmed. There's just a TON of information out there, and instead of asking the forum the ever popular question of "what is the best AR15 manufacturer" or "who makes the best AR15"...I thought my question might be better stated like this:

What should I look for in a good all around AR15 Varmint Rifle? More specifically, what is better...for instance:

Is a chromed barrel better than stainless?

Is a Wylde chamber acceptable if I'm only going to be shooting .223 and not 5.56?

If I'm going to be shooting varmints at less than 200 yards, is a heavy barrel something I really need?

And then there's the question of optics...most of my hunting is done in the evenings or after dark for varmints. Any suggestions on night vision scopes that won't break the bank?

Lastly, I've been looking at Rock River Arms...specifically, their 20" Varmint A4. Has anyone had any experience with these rifles?

Thanks in advance for your input!!

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
ive orderd a Dpms That is Super popular and the price is Right. for the money rock river arms and dpms are the best you can get!

now if you really want to go brand name $$$$ bushmaster and armilite are for you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just ordered the RRA coyote rifle. Everyone has an opinion on who makes the best rifle but you should look at the capabilities of each. The RRA has a two stage trigger which is going to give you a smoother pull, i.e. more accurate. Get something with a free float barrel too. I dont think that you need a bull barrel but a heavy barrel is a good thing. Bushmaster makes a good varmint AR but the RRA has hogue grips as an option and i think that that extra tack gives you a better feel. If you think about the bushmaster go look at the O.R.C. Its a nice rifle ready for a scope and would shoot well at 200 yards. But if you go with a varmint set up the RRA is the way!!

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
i own a bushmaster varminter, excellent rifle. i also hear many good things about the RRA. at 200yds or less, just about any rifle is acceptable for exploding varmints!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
If you are only going to shoot .223 Rem then get the .223 Rem chamber, if you may shoot some 5.56mm also get the Wylde chamber.
Stainless can be nice for bad weather. If the ammo you shoot is non-corrosive then do not worry about stainless, chrome lined or regular. A regular barrel would be okay, but a 4150 barrel would, in my opinion, be better than one in 4140.
For target/varmint hunting I would go with a intermediate diameter barrel, not skinny and not real thick.
Just some of my thoughts.

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
Simple:

Stripped lower
RRA 2-stage LPK
A2 stock
MIAD grip
M16 LMT or CMT BCG
20" Stainless RRA flat top upper, Wylde chamber(can be used for both .223 and 5.56 rounds
Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 mildot scope

Stainless and chrome lined barrels have certain points that are better then the other. But, for hunting and non full auto fire, stainless. Wylde will fire both rounds. And in all honesty, if your staying within 300 yards do this:

Stripped lower
RRA 2-stage LPK
Stag 6 position stock
MIAD grip
M16 BCG LMT or CMT
RRA M4 upper, chrome lined barrel
EOTech HoloSight (AA battery version)

This config will give you the best all around weapon. I have also yet to see any corrosive .223/5.56 ammo, do not worry about it. Non chrome lined barrels are harder to clean also. Or Bushmaster(to much $$$), DPMS, Double Star/J&T, Del-Ton, whatever brand of upper you can afford. Anymore, if you make crappy AR-15's, you wont stay around very long.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've used my Stagg in .223 with the EOTech HoloSight for coyote hunting and it's great for that...given that you're calling in coyotes within 50-75 yards max. Very fast target acquisition and it helps you avoid tunnel vision when dealing with more than one coyote at a time since it allows you to keep an eye on your surroundings while drawing a bead on your target. Anything further than that I would look at a magnifier for the EOTech (lots fo $$$), or a 3-9x scope with a large field of view and the right reticle for the job. You don't want thick crosshairs that will completely cover your target if it's out past 100 yards.

If you're looking for a true varmint rifle, the EOTech is definitely not the way to go, believe me, I've been there, done that. Gophers are pretty small targets, especially out at 200+ yards and you need the right reticle for the job. Also, consider a scope that has a focus turret, instead of the adjustment out on the end of the scope. If you're looking for a scope that fits the bill and won't break the bank, check out the Super Sniper line by SWFA, or the Bushnell Elite 4200 in 6-24 power. A lot of the times when we're out gopher hunting we have our scopes maxed to 24 power so we can actually see where we're aiming on the gopher. It's nice to have the flexibility of a variable power since many times you can't get very close and you're also switching from one distance to another depending on where the gophers are coming up.

Also consider, if you're going strictly for varmints and coyotes, taking a look at the .204 Ruger caliber. I'm in the process of building my second one now. Great varmint caliber, and you can use the standard .223 magazines and bolt, all you need is the barrel. A 24" with a 1 in 12 twist seems to produce the best results. Lucky for me, the company that makes all of the barrels for DPMS is located just around the corner from me. :) I should have the barrel any day now and can put everything together.

Free float is definitely the way to go, and a medium barrel is plenty good. You don't want to pack around all that extra weight of a true bull barrel if you can help it. You'll get lots of great advice on here and it sounds like you're asking all the right questions. Good luck and have fun with it!

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
If you aren't going past 200 yards, you should be fine with about anything. The main thing to look at will be your barrel twist. What weight bullets will you be using? I'm gonna assume you'll go for the standard 55gr. A 1:8 or 1:9 would be good for that. A 1:8 will also handle larger bullets very well also. I would go with a 20 inch barrel. My personal preference is the chrome moly heavy barrel. You'll also want a good scope rather than a red dot for shooting the smaller critters at longer ranges. Find something that's variable such as a 3-9x or a 4-12x depending on your preference.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My choice is the Remington R-15 with the 22 inch Barrel. It is chambered in .223. A good quality Scope and Mount (mine has a Weaver Classic V24 6-24x42 mounted on a Burris P.E.P.R. one peice mount.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Okay, so I've been doing some research on the literally HUNDREDS of AR15 configurations and to be honest...I'm a little overwhelmed. There's just a TON of information out there, and instead of asking the forum the ever popular question of "what is the best AR15 manufacturer" or "who makes the best AR15"...I thought my question might be better stated like this:

What should I look for in a good all around AR15 Varmint Rifle? More specifically, what is better...for instance:

Is a Wylde chamber acceptable if I'm only going to be shooting .223 and not 5.56?

If I'm going to be shooting varmints at less than 200 yards, is a heavy barrel something I really need?

And then there's the question of optics...most of my hunting is done in the evenings or after dark for varmints. Any suggestions on night vision scopes that won't break the bank?

Lastly, I've been looking at Rock River Arms...specifically, their 20" Varmint A4. Has anyone had any experience with these rifles?

Are you looking for a specific price range? What is your major intrest for this rifle? Target, Defense, or Hunting? All of the above?

·
Banned
1,038 Posts

I use the RRA "Predator Pursuit" upper, and I couldn't he happier with it. I would recommend one of these over their varmint uppers, due to the "heavy" barrel as opposed to the "bull" barrel on the varmint model. You'd be amazed at how much weight will be saved when you slim down to a .750" from a .920"...especially if you're going to be walking anywhere with it.

PK Firearms | Online Store has it in stock right now for under $600.

Which ever way you go, I'd highly recommend a 1-8 or faster twist, as well as the hybrid chambering, so you can shoot anything in a .223 or 5.56 out of it...

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
To answer not in the exact order...

For accuracy, no. If you're wanting a varmint rifle, typically it's better to look at stainless. I say typically, because a high end chrome lined barrel will usually shoot more accurately than a cheap stainless barrel.

Yes... I like the wylde chamber. Plus, it lets you shoot 5.56 if you ever want to.

No. Especially if you're going to be packing it around. That being said, a nice 16-18" heavy or bull barrel can make a really nice varmint setup. A 20" just looks a little better balanced with a big scope on it.

most of my hunting is done in the evenings or after dark for varmints. Any suggestions on night vision scopes that won't break the bank?
No, but keep us updated if you find one. :)

I've been looking at Rock River Arms...specifically, their 20" Varmint A4. Has anyone had any experience with these rifles?
I've heard a lot of good stuff about RRA. I've never bought one of their complete rifles, but I do have some of their lowers, and have had an upper. They're good. I think there are options out there that are more accurate, but the best advice I can give you is to really think on what you can spend and what features you really want.
What grain bullet will you be shooting? What's your budget? Set up in a stand/bench, or stalk hunting? Is weight or length an issue?

·
Banned
1,038 Posts
If you're going to use this as a hunting rifle, make sure you get at least a 1:8 twist so you can use the heavier bullets in case you decide to hunt deer with it (if your state allows).

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Well, here's mine, just about completed (still to fit the Bipod).

It's a 26", 1 in 7", Lothar Walther, .920" bull barrel in blued steel, .223 Wylde chambered, fully-floated, flat top, British straight-pull. The Lower is by Fulton Armory and the trigger breaks crisply at 3.5lbs.
Scope is a cheap & nasty 10-40 x 50 illuminated NCStar (it's worked OK on my other barrelled set up, so I will keep using it until it breaks.) I've test fired it & zeroed at 100 yards (No pics but well within 1" with 69grn reloads.) but tomorrow is it's first real range outing and if time permits, I'll try it at up to 600 yards. Spent all morning reloading so I'm now ready.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Why spend close to $1,000 on a gun that you are going to shoot varmints with? That is silly! Spend $3-400 on a good Savage or Remington rifle for varmints.
Why do people spend $1,000 on a gun and around $1,000 on a scope to hunt critters for fun? That is an expensive past time. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
The Stag Varmit is the way to go without a doubt.

·
Registered
47 Posts
AR-15s can be configured in so many ways it's possible to make a rifle very specific to the game your hunting. This RRA Varmint 24 has been set up to be a near ultimate prairie dog shooter. Your type of varmint hunting should dictate what you want on your personal AR-15. I hunt allot of jackrabbits and a few coyotes as well, but this one (at 12 lbs.) would be heavy for a calling rifle.
The Leupold VX-III 6.5-20X50 Long Range Varmint Hunter takes care of the long shots, and the Burris FastFire red dot mounted on the Larue LT-137 ring extention, handles anything that pops up at close range. I have been using this setup for the past 2 years and it's my favorite rifle now.
Modifications include:
Tubb CS Buffer Spring
D-Tech tunned RRA NM Match 2 stage trigger
Self tuned ejector spring
CAA G27 grip
Badger Tactical Latch
Larue Tactical SPR Mount with Larue LT-137 red dot mount
Burris FastFire red dot secondary optic
Leupold VX-III 6.5-20X50 LR Varmint Hunter Main optic
[

If your wondering how it shoots, here is a 100 meter 20 shot, full magazine, target I shot last year.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Jim

That is a helluva ice 20 round shot group!!!

Do you use the David Tubb's Final Finish bullets with your barrel?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts