Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Worst states for auto-deer crashes

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Drivers smashing into deer on U.S. roads is an increasing, costly and dangerous problem, according to an insurance survey released Tuesday.

Deer-related car crashes, including wrecks involving elk and moose, are up almost six percent compared to last year's deer season, according to the report by State Farm Insurance.

Deer collisions become more frequent during fall and winter due to deer migration and mating season, which typically occur from October through December.

About 1.5 million deer-vehicle collisions happen each year in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Those accidents cause about 150 deaths and $1.1 billion in property damage annually, according to NHTSA.

State Farm policy holders were involved in 192,877 deer-related collisions this year versus 182,458 last year. The average property damage cost was $2,800, $300 more than last year, State Farm said.

Increasing deer populations and the encroachment of urban sprawl into the deer's natural habitat have added to the risk, according to State Farm.

State Farm advises motorists to be aware of "Deer crossing" signs. Drivers should also use high-beam headlights as much as possible and be aware that deer tend to travel in packs. Where there is one, more are probably close behind.

"Deer whistles," devices that attach to the vehicles' front bumpers, have been shown to be ineffective, State Farm said.

Some states have far more deer collisions than others. According to State Farm's claim statistics, the 10 states with the most deer crashes between June 1, 2005 and June 30, 2006 account for more than half of all such claims.

Pennsylvania
Michigan
Illinois
Ohio
Georgia
Virginia
Minnesota
Texas
Indiana
South Carolina

Zen900 replies:

I live in SC. I know where to find lots of deer to crash into but I havent had much luck finding them in the woods here while hunting. I can only conclude that deer live in the roads not in the woods.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Zen900 replies:

I can only conclude that deer live in the roads not in the woods.
With a line like that, this should be in the humor forum! LOL! Thanks for the laugh, Zen... as much as this really isn't a laughing matter. ;-)

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
you might also conclude that deer may in fact live in the woods, but find walking on a nice paved road easier than walking through the woods.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,326 Posts
I find it strange Florida isn't on the list! I have three friends who have hit deer in the last year, others who have done so in past years. I've seen deer flash across in front of me numerous times, on the way to the range.
Saw one dead on the side of the road last weekend.

The automobile - the ultimate "hollow point", lots of muzzle energy! :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
They passed a law in wyoming that said if you hit it you could take it home.
Well everybody went out and bought grill guards and push bars and started to hit deer.
It only toke a year for the deer to figure out they need to stay off the road

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,582 Posts
driving up from souther IL to central IL once, I counted 97 deer dead on the side of the road

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
I saw one deer last weekend in northwest Missouri that won't be hit by a car. It ran into a 30-06 bullet instead.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i live in pennsylvania and i am not surprised were number one on the list it seems everywhere u look theres a deer on the side of the road

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Two years ago my wife was driving her new Buick Park Avenue on the expressway in the southern part of Kansas City, MO. As she decellerated on an exit ramp a deer decided to jump on her grill and hood, glancing off before running away. The damages exceeded $4,000 including a new hood, reconditioned bumper, new grill, rebuilt radiator, straightening both front fenders which were pushed backward, and many parts underneath which supported those parts.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Jerry...as you know, bucks have tunnel vision when deer are in rut. All else doesn't seem to matter...to heck with waiting at the stop light before crossing.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I read that list, but it said we here in Texas led the list by a long shot, probably because of the sheer size. What the real hazard is here is cattle. They get out more often than you might think, possibly because of the numbers of them. Deer can tear up your ride, but a 1200lb bull can ruin your life!

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
When I was growing up in northeast Pennsylvania it was quite common to hear someone say they smacked a deer.

It was equally common place to see deer carcasses laying alongside roads.

At that time the locl Sheriff would pick up freshly killed deer for use in senior homes and jails.

Now, I understand, the laws have changed and they can't use deer meat that way and the poor slob who hits the deer can now claim it.

First, I'm not sure how much good meat would be on most hit deer and it's a small rebate for a large repair bill.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Another thing about deer getting hit crossing roads. Many times deer move around close to dawn and dusk in groups. The unlucky motorcyclist who happens along at the wrong time is much more vunerable during this situation than the four wheel vehicle drivers. That almost always results in serious injury or death to the driver.

Dale...I was a front seat passanger in a car many years ago when we popped over a hill at night on a two lane road and saw a cow in the middle of two concrete culverts of a bridge. Even though the cow was hit on the passenger side near the front head light, the impact wrinkled the sheet metal of the car nearly all the way from front to back.

The cow eventually got up and walked off. According to an attorney my friend talked to, farmers at that time were exempt from damages caused by their cattle unless the person who received vehicular damage could prove that the cattle had been out on a regular basis. Basically, you're on your own to pay for damages received.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I know, I know, I know. We've been trying to get them to wear those reflective vest, here in Virginia, but the deer just won't cooperate. A lot like motorcycle riders who refuse to wear a helmet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The reason florida and other lower states didn't make it is because the deer are the size of small dogs and didn't really make a newsworthy threat to peoples life. :09: J/K

1 - 17 of 17 Posts