close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best ever American bolt action .22

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by wine9er, Mar 29, 2002.

1. wine9er

wine9er G&G Newbie

ca
    "Classic" American .22 Bolt Action?
    I love my Winchester 61 and treasure my father's Winchester 90. Grandchildren coming along now and time to think about getting a .22 classic bolt action. If you were to acquire the definitive bolt action .22 which rifle defined the genera? My objective is to pass along a piece of Americana, one that shows American rifle mastery.

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

For getting a child or young person started, I'd go with the Marlin bolt-action. It's about as definitive as you can get.
    For something that would have lasting value and some history, I'd go with a Mossberg, especially an M44.
    (But then, I'm a big Marlin and Mossberg fan.)

3. jlb

jlb G&G Newbie

You have picked two fine rifles to pass on through the family. As you already know both have appreciated in value many times their purchase price, because of their high quality among other things. the Winchester Mod. 52 B Sporter bolt action is what I would choose to compliment the first two. I realize that the 52 is quite pricey but it is being discounted by some dealers now. God Luck--Good Shooting

4. bgl0b6

bgl0b6 G&G Newbie

I agree with the mdl.52,but it was mainly known for the target gun versions.In a field gun I'd say maybe a Remington 541-s,fine made semi custom version of the 541 guns,good looking and great shooting guns......just my opinion.