Best factory ammo for the Rem 7400

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by cadreau87, Aug 15, 2010.

1. cadreau87

cadreau87 G&G Newbie

Ok to start i have a Remington 7400, pretty much brand new with less than a box of shells through it. I did some research and heard that alot of people had luck with the core lokts. Yesterday i purchased 150 grain, very first shot i was great left to right and 1 inch high. Feeling great i went to go shoot just a few rounds to group to ensure that everything was good. Well the next shot was 4 left and 1 low. Long story short the gun was keeping a 4 inch group at 100 yards. Now we did shoot 23 rounds throught the gun letting the barrle cool after evey 4 and i had a friend shoot to make sure it wasnt me.

So is it the shells? Maybe 180 grain would be more accurate and consistant. Any help would be great thanks

2. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

With a 1:10"twist I would be tempted to use 180gr and heavier bullets.It seems to me that you might find something lighter that would work.AL,s are not known for pinpoint accuracy but you should get 2.5" group or there abouts.With factory fodder you are restricted on how close you can get the bullet to the lands.A heavier bullet would be closer. ,,,sam.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  3. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Is it a 30-06 ??

4. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Mmmm,

you did not state a caliber but trying out several different bullet weights in a new rifle then handloading lets you dial in the right bullet/velocity for your rifle.

5. cadreau87

cadreau87 G&G Newbie

oh yes im sorry its a 30-06. And that was what i was thinking with the heavier bullet. I realize this gun is not a 600 yard gun but i was hoping around 300 yards.

6. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Mmmm,

three hundred yards is a bit of a stretch for this gun.
    It is not designed for target work at this range.

However, it is a great hunting gun in the one hundred yard or so range.

7. cadreau87

cadreau87 G&G Newbie

what is the best factory ammo and what grain

8. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

If you can get it diwn to 2" groups at 100yds it should be fine for 250yds+.I have a fondness for them and the way they handle in brushey country where a 300yd shot would be rare.Best of luck with it. ,,,sam.

9. cadreau87

cadreau87 G&G Newbie

i was thinkin abou the Nosler Customs?. I am hunting out in South Dakota and i am not use to such open land, in michigan i was required to use a shotgun and was limited to 200 yard shots any ways. But in SD its unlimited as long as you can see them game but i just want to be confident around the 250 to 300 yard ranger with this gun. Im hoping the change in ammo will help the grouping of my rounds

10. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

The more you practice with the rifle the better your groups will get and your confidence with the rifle will also improve. My friend had one in .308 that shot 1" groups on a regular basis with factory ammo. He ofcourse had shot that rifle since he was young and knew it well and what to expect from it. My first suggestion would be to find the ammo that works well with your rifle and then practice practice practice and become more proficient with it. Work on your shooting technique as well. I see no reason why you couldn't shoot out to 300yds with this rifle once you have shot it enough.

11. cadreau87

cadreau87 G&G Newbie

But any suggestions on ammo? I tried Remington Core Lokt and did not shoot well with those, What about the Noslers

12. SilverRun

SilverRun G&G Enthusiast

I generally have pretty good luck with Hornady ammo. You may want to give that a try... I hate to talk about anyone's rifle, but my experience with those rifles has been pretty bad. Of course they are still making them after a bizillion years in production - so I guess someone can get them to shoot right - just not me. Good Luck...

13. cadreau87

cadreau87 G&G Newbie

ok thank you sir im gonna try a different ammo and see if i can get it to shoot better but i just dont want to put a ton of cash into a rifle that i dont plan on keeping and really isnt designed for my hunting here in SD

14. stinkybriches

stinkybriches G&G Enthusiast

in my experiance with a few rifles ive found that cheap remington/winchester/federal ammunition sucks.
    without paying for nosler there are other choices. federal fusion, federal primium, winchester supreme, black hills, and hornady come to mind.

15. moosemike

moosemike G&G Newbie

Federal blue box is some of the most accurate amoo I've ever used. Remington Core- Lokt has been some of the least.

16. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

I have shot the Federal Fusion and Federal Premium ammo as well as the Hornady ammo and have been impressed with it. Don't give up on the Rifle just yet. You have only shot a few rounds through it yet and haven't even broken the thing in yet. Try several different brands and try the Noslers if you wish. I have never tried them so I can't say they are good or bad, but it is premium ammo so I would hope it would perform well. For hunting in SD the rifle should do just fine.

17. cadreau87

cadreau87 G&G Newbie

thank you for all the help and advice. I havent given up on it yet i am going to try different ammo this weekend and will post the results. If all else fails i have found a Savage model 111 25-06 with a 4x12 nikon scope and a harris bipod for $400. I figure if i can get that, it could be my all purpose rifle and i could up grade next year for a long range deer rifle.

18. cadreau87

cadreau87 G&G Newbie

well i shot nosler 165 grain this weekend and they seemed to shoot alittle better but still not well. My first two shot group ok about 1.25 inches, and then the 3rd was like 5 in low. From then on it was just all over. Really just getting frustrated i think that this rifle should be able to hold better than a 5 inch group at 150 yards.

19. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

Have you had someone else shoot the rifle and see if they are getting the same results? Have you made sure that your scope is properly set and not binding or is lose in it's mounts. How are you shooting these groups? Are you shooting from a bench with a solid rest? There are still a lot of questions to be answered.

20. waterdog

waterdog G&G Enthusiast

I stopped shooting rem. ammo several years ago for the same accuracy issues, switched to federal. In .308 now I reload started using winn 150grn sp 43.5 grn Varget, fed. brass, win primers. must say I'm happer with the reloads. ............Waterdog.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted