Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Haven't seen much action in this forum lately, so I thought I would throw this out there.

What are the best groups you've gotten with you Mosin Nagant rifles? What distance? Ammo? Rifle variation?

Hopefully this will spark some discussion on the best area on G&G. :) :assult:

Russ

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I noticed, this is mostly the most active forum, but no action in quite a long time.

With my 91/30, with Brown Bear ammo, i havent really checked out accurately, since we usually throw shot up targets out, but very tight at 100, and of course very tight at 50, where i usually start out.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
While not the ideal choice, I do believe I can cleanly kill a deer at 100yd with my Mosin. I consider it an option at the very least. But I wouldn't shoot over 100yd.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Killed a Moose at 175 yards with one shot from the 7.62x 54r in a different rifle, so a deer at 300 would be an easy kill with a mosin. My m44 groups 1 3/4
inch at 100 yards benched ! Open sights !

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
My M-91 will group at 1 inch at 100 yards, IF I am having a good day. IF I am NOT having a good day, it looks like I am using 00 Buck.

I hand load my own ammo. I normally use Serria bullets and IMR powders. My Nagant is most accurate with a 200 grain, HPBT bullet, loaded pretty close to max.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ninwnc said:
My M-91 will group at 1 inch at 100 yards, IF I am having a good day. IF I am NOT having a good day, it looks like I am using 00 Buck.
I hand load my own ammo. I normally use Serria bullets and IMR powders. My Nagant is most accurate with a 200 grain, HPBT bullet, loaded pretty close to max.
Dang that's some pretty good shooting!:uzi:

Keep it coming guys. :lucky:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Mine & Hers

My old Mosin was bought at the local "Rose"s" dept. store a few years back, for $49.00. It turned out to be a prety good shooter.

My better half went to the range with me to shoot her .22. After a while she asked if she could try my rifle. I said sure, but it kicks. All I had at that time was the old surplus military ammo.

She fired 3 rounds. All were with in an inch at 100 yards. This is with iron sights. To say she made me look bad is an understatement.

So I got the scope mounting kit and put a scope on it, and my groups improved greatly. And so did her's. I got tired of being out shot with my own rifle, so I bought her one, (on sale $39.00) and had it scoped.

Her rifle holds better groups than mine! It just ain't fair. <G>

When I go to the range my old Nagant is the first out of the gunsafe. I have fired hundreds of rounds through it and it is till an excelent shooter. It's my favorite rifle.

Nick

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I dont like to shoot at paper targets at long distances it is too slow and borrrrrring.
Gongs are much better
I have had good experiences with old automobile wheel rims.
at 360 yards I can hit a 15 inch automobile wheel rim set (flat on a stump)
just about every time.
I like to hear a ring when I hit.
I have made 20 hits for 20 shot strings at 450 yard gongs that where siluette shaped.
the mosin nagant can be a very accurate rifle if ya just practice with it.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Never cared for scoped rifles. I have always been an iron sight person. I cant tell you how many people have left the range pissed and cussing, because they hit a bump on the way there and scope was out of line

BUT thats just me!!

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Amen

Mooseman684 said:
When you get OLD like some of us and your Eyes quit focusing on some open sight patterns, you'll be putting on the scopes and keep on shootin' !!!LOL
I can leave my cheaters off and see the front sight (on something long like the 91/30), or put 'em on and see the rear sight. But either way, one or the other's gonna be a blur. I'm pretty good at guesstimating the center of a blur, but it's a lot easier to put on a scope.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Mooseman684 said:
When you get OLD like some of us and your Eyes quit focusing on some open sight patterns, you'll be putting on the scopes and keep on shootin' !!!LOL
i'm not even that old (36) and i gotta agree with you on that one.:(

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anybody else? I've been trying to think up some ideas to start another thread. I miss reading stuff in the Mosin forum.:insane:

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
It has kind of dried up, hasn't it? I don't have much to say, because I haven't had a chance to go shooting for a while and haven't bought any new ones lately.

I'm working on refinishing one of my M39's, but at the rate I'm going there isn't much to write.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmmmmm, what thread could we start?

Tips and tricks for working on and cleaning Mosin's?

Best deals you've gotten?

Best ammo? Worst ammo?

Favorite type of Mosin rifle?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
How about after market stocks? I had one of my M91/30s in a synthetic stock for a while, just to try it. After a few trips to the range, I went back to the original wood.

I Didn't like it much. Anyone else tried one?

ninwnc

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
My 2nd M39 Finn came with a synthetic Monte Carlo stock

ninwnc said:
How about after market stocks? I had one of my M91/30s in a synthetic stock for a while, just to try it. After a few trips to the range, I went back to the original wood.
I Didn't like it much. Anyone else tried one?
ninwnc
I'm giving it away.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
my best group was 2 feet when I threw them in the garbage. I dont like these rifles however troy2000 is the man to talk to about them. they require a lot of tlc. very good when sorted out troy knows them well I dont have the time

1 - 20 of 23 Posts