Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow 2a patriots....just wanted to know what you guys think would be the ideal home defense tool given my unfortunate situation.

I live in Hawaii..no suppressors, 10 rounds MAX for handguns in house with tight corridors. Probably gonna blow my ears out

Neighborhood is pretty spread out, roughly half an acre per lot

Current "arsenal": (all with optics/arisaka Flashlights)
Scorpion evo carbine
Glock 22 (mck chassis,)
16" AR

Im asking as to which i should put most time training on givin the ammo shortage
(have about 300-400 rnds of hollowpoints on each gun)...ammo is beyond scarce here on the islands

Wife doesnt want to move...........

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
Hello fellow 2a patriots....just wanted to know what you guys think would be the ideal home defense tool given my unfortunate situation.

I live in Hawaii..no suppressors, 10 rounds MAX for handguns in house with tight corridors. Probably gonna blow my ears out

Scorpion evo carbine
Glock 22 (mck chassis,)
16" AR

Im asking as to which i should put most time training on givin the ammo shortage
(have about 300-400 rnds of hollowpoints on each gun)...ammo is beyond scarce here on the islands

You have pretty much the perfect urban/suburban setup as it is.
The only thing missing is a 12 gauge or 20 gauge shotgun, and maybe, a same-caliber backup for your Glock pistol.
If your AR is a good build, you pretty much are in the catbird seat

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,195 Posts
Howdy
Make sure you stop by the newbie section. You will be told there is cake there. 🤔 maybe, possibly 😂

If the evo is threaded, maybe install a blast diverter. Understand ammo is a bit dicey, that said some sub sonic 147 grain would tame it a bit more.
If your in a gun fight in your home more times than you’d be struck by lightning, a more urgent concern. Not that hearing is not important, but that one (hopefully) time in your life it may happen will weigh heavily on how you respond to pressure as we’ll as the performance of the given tool.
Product Font Material property Auto part Engineering

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
To get experience on gun blast indoors, you only need to fire one round in near total darkness and of course no hearing protection. I am retired military and worked 4 law enforcement jobs and experienced it early on and hunted at night since very young. But if your wife will not let you shoot in the house even once, just trust me on this. The only clue I can give on this subject is to fire with one eye closed, for the first round, then you have a second eye for round two. Actually, the training says you fire as many rounds with your open eye as you can when you see the target, you move (if you can) and then have the second eye to open and gather your wits about you.

My opinion is you want the lowest velocity ammo or gun that will meet your needs. I am going to say the Glock 22 as your primary. I am going to suggest the slowest hollow point or specialty ammo you have, which means the heaviest bullet, probably a 180 grain in your 40 cal. If you can find one of the brands that claim low flash, go with it. I buy premium ammo for carry guns, but at 20 feet in your home, any good hollow point should work. For carry ammo, I want the fastest on the market, just an opinion for your question.

My house gun is a Glock 19. I shoot it suppressed on occasion, but would not put the suppressor on for home use, that makes it too long for my style of moving and it makes the handgun way front heavy. and like Jerry says, pretty unlikely to happen. And even then, like Joe Biden say, you can just fire a few rounds through the door (LOL).

Welcome to the forum. There is a great deal of knowledge and a fair share of humor.

·
Firearm Affectionado
4,232 Posts
I would go with a revolver in .357 mag. or a 12ga. shotgun. Perhaps a Mossberg Shockwave for the tight corridors. Shotgun ammo is still reasonably priced. Practice with bird shot and load with #4 buckshot for home defense.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Shotgun

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
21,335 Posts
I have a scorpion pistol and am familiar with the carbine. I might suggest a decent optic like an EO tech XPS 2-2 and use that. It’s a fair bit quieter than a rifle out of the shorter barrel and has plenty of capacity and is reliable. The training with the optic is the key. I also might suggest getting a few 30 rounders — the pmag or manticore arms works well in mine. The OEM CZ mags had issues with feed lips cracking but I think They’ve solved it.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Premium Member
13,122 Posts
Find the shortest shotgun you're comfortable with (the Wall, thought I prefer a stock) and learn to love it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You have pretty much the perfect urban/suburban setup as it is.
The only thing missing is a 12 gauge or 20 gauge shotgun, and maybe, a same-caliber backup for your Glock pistol.
If your AR is a good build, you pretty much are in the catbird seat
Find the shortest shotgun you're comfortable with (the Wall, thought I prefer a stock) and learn to love it.

Neighborhood is
I would go with a revolver in .357 mag. or a 12ga. shotgun. Perhaps a Mossberg Shockwave for the tight corridors. Shotgun ammo is still reasonably priced. Practice with bird shot and load with #4 buckshot for home defense.
View attachment 167733
Not over here my friend, i actually do have a mossy 590, but at Hawaiis legal limit (18.5 inches) and $2.50 per 00 buckshot....itll be hard to get enough training on it to be proficient enough. Sucks we cant have ammo shipped to our door here

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you ever need a gun for actual home defense, you won't notice the noise.

Pick the gun your already best with.
Deep Blue State, I dont know where the news gets its statistics saying "crime at a low" here, but a simple google search "Big Island Shooting" will indicate that that's B'S.

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts

Scorpion evo carbine
Glock 22 (mck chassis,)
16" AR

Are you on Oahu or big island?

·
Super Moderator
11,718 Posts
View attachment 167733
I agree with the #4 buckshot.....but disagree on the .357 mag. This round has perhaps the loudest and sharpest crack of nearly any handgun. The cylinder gap gives even higher decibel in a hallway. Perhaps a lower pressure 180...
Also, the OP never said his wife didn't want him to shoot in the house.
I do think your current set up is fine.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts

Scorpion evo carbine
Glock 22 (mck chassis,)
16" AR

12 gauge semi auto shot gun, extended magazine full of 00 buck.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
i got nuthin on what you should have.
but i do agree that all the experience you need is one shot inside a building in the dark.
a shot barreled AR is not what you think it will be under those circumstances.

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
Howdy
Make sure you stop by the newbie section. You will be told there is cake there. 🤔 maybe, possibly 😂

If the evo is threaded, maybe install a blast diverter. Understand ammo is a bit dicey, that said some sub sonic 147 grain would tame it a bit more.
If your in a gun fight in your home more times than you’d be struck by lightning, a more urgent concern. Not that hearing is not important, but that one (hopefully) time in your life it may happen will weigh heavily on how you respond to pressure as we’ll as the performance of the given tool. View attachment 167730
THIS! ^^^^^
I know ammo choice is very limited everywhere but if you are able to obtain some subsonic loads. Reliability is formost and a balance of accuracy and quietness is next.
I used to run an UZI Carbine with a 147gr Hornady XTP JHP tailored to it's 16"bbl.

They can be very quiet but not silent roughly like a bottle of champagne popping with a loud metallic slap.

As suggested a good blast diverter will help a bunch.
If you run ammo that obtains a good burn within a 16" barrel muzzle flash will be minimal at worst.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
THIS! ^^^^^
I know ammo choice is very limited everywhere but if you are able to obtain some subsonic loads. Reliability is formost and a balance of accuracy and quietness is next.
I used to run an UZI Carbine with a 147gr Hornady XTP JHP tailored to it's 16"bbl.

They can be very quiet but not silent roughly like a bottle of champagne popping with a loud metallic slap.

As suggested a good blast diverter will help a bunch.
If you run ammo that obtains a good burn within a 16" barrel muzzle flash will be minimal at worst.
[/QU
Ammo is hard to find, the only hollow points ive been able to stock up on are 124 gr. Federal HST, but ill look into the blast diverter thing, barrel is 16.1 with 1/2x28 thread.

My Ar was my choice for original choice for defense. Its WAS fun to shoot, until it became over a dollar a round
16 inch, bcm upper (FN barrel) on an aero lower with SSA trigger, beautiful rifle, BUT, after an interesting range sess., I thought I might need to reevaluate my home defense choice.

Two things happened at the range,
my cousin and I tested different types of 223 and 556 (for shixxt and giggles)… we set up 8 pieces of extra drywall we had, all about a bout a sq. ft. in size and spread 6 inches apart on a rack we use for fireworks,...…we shot the rifle from 25'ish yards away with m855's,193's, and bunch of other ball ammo. went right through em.. small puff of dirt from the berm behind. during 2 of those shots, I forgot to put my ear pro on....and boy did those bells ring. Like to the point where I'm doing weird jaw motions.

We then hung a 12"x20 steel torso 1 inch above the ground and about 3ish yards from the dry wall sets and shot it with Hornady 75 gr BTH, my only AR soft/hollowpoint and choice for defense.....
DING, Torso, Bottom right corner.....from 30 ish yards, through 4 double sets of drywall.
So I've decided to switch out my AR and put it in the safe, and this Thread was created to help me chose what will replace it.

so again 2 choices excluding my long-ass 590
glock with chassis and scorpion,
Im starting to lean more for the scorpion, of which I bought simply cause the carbine version is legal here and looks cool.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Nothing wrong with the Scorpion for sure but I am not a fan of the chassis added to handguns. During my law enforcement days I was a narcotics officer and was the head guy on a small multip-jurisdiction drug suppression unit and went on a number of buy busts, raids, serving warrants etc. You are going into people's houses without their permission. If you plan well, the time should be when the kids are gone, but you never know. When your gang of guys walks into a house there are dogs and toddlers, toys and stuff to fall over, innocent people, cats, aquariums, stereos blaring, candles burning and bad guys in their underwear, some holding a toothbrush, others with guns., The wives and girlfriends know where all the kitchen knives are and you can expect lots of guns under throw pillows.

When you do a raid plan, every officer is asked to show his gun and his time through the door and where he goes is discussed. In my time officers used handguns, and a rare shotgun, often not their duty gun. In terms of popularity Glocks had taken over, probably because inside you will never need a reload, it happens too quick, so they load up with something that takes over 10- rounds. Second, a lot of older guys made entry with a 357 handgun, while their duty pistol was on the waist, they wanted that big blast and 125 grain bullet at 1,450 fps if they had to fire. And the last group were the SWAT minded guns who always had that special 1911 in 45 acp that they only carried on raids, again their duty gun on the waist and that 45 out front.

I have a 12 gauge pump, a Glock 19 and my carry gun out all the time, (and two 38s hidden in the house) so if I have an invasion that is what is going to work, or not. On raids back then, I was in the 45 acp crowd. Today we have better ammo and any 9, 40, or 45 should work fine. So, I am with your Glock 40 without the chassis. If you are indoors during the event I see no value to a longer gun, if you take it outside the longer guns make sense. I do have AR pistols and other compact carbines, just discussing what I would prefer indoors and why. If you cannot find HP ammo, the flat nose solid ammo is not a bad option. Winchester sells a training round that is flat nose in 147 grain that I like a lot. It is a thumper. Let us know what you decide. Much better to plan now than the morning after.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts