Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Firearm Affectionado
4,232 Posts
I agree with the #4 buckshot.....but disagree on the .357 mag. This round has perhaps the loudest and sharpest crack of nearly any handgun. The cylinder gap gives even higher decibel in a hallway. Perhaps a lower pressure 180...
Also, the OP never said his wife didn't want him to shoot in the house.
I do think his current set up is fine.
As you know .357 mag. revolvers also shoot .38 spec. A revolver is also less likely to have function issues in my opinion.

Reactions: neophyte and TXplt

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
21,295 Posts
Ammo is hard to find, the only hollow points ive been able to stock up on are 124 gr. Federal HST, but ill look into the blast diverter thing, barrel is 16.1 with 1/2x28 thread.

My Ar was my choice for original choice for defense. Its WAS fun to shoot, until it became over a dollar a round
16 inch, bcm upper (FN barrel) on an aero lower with SSA trigger, beautiful rifle, BUT, after an interesting range sess., I thought I might need to reevaluate my home defense choice.

Two things happened at the range,
my cousin and I tested different types of 223 and 556 (for shixxt and giggles)… we set up 8 pieces of extra drywall we had, all about a bout a sq. ft. in size and spread 6 inches apart on a rack we use for fireworks,...…we shot the rifle from 25'ish yards away with m855's,193's, and bunch of other ball ammo. went right through em.. small puff of dirt from the berm behind. during 2 of those shots, I forgot to put my ear pro on....and boy did those bells ring. Like to the point where I'm doing weird jaw motions.

We then hung a 12"x20 steel torso 1 inch above the ground and about 3ish yards from the dry wall sets and shot it with Hornady 75 gr BTH, my only AR soft/hollowpoint and choice for defense.....
DING, Torso, Bottom right corner.....from 30 ish yards, through 4 double sets of drywall.
So I've decided to switch out my AR and put it in the safe, and this Thread was created to help me chose what will replace it.

so again 2 choices excluding my long-ass 590
glock with chassis and scorpion,
Im starting to lean more for the scorpion, of which I bought simply cause the carbine version is legal here and looks cool.
The scorpion I think would be a good choice. It'll be quieter (rifles are REALLY loud) and the 124 Federal HST is a decent round. Given you're out in the sticks, I WOULD get some OEM 20 and 30 rounds mags (the gun is made for 30 rounders).

I'd also put a decent optic and WML on it. Perhaps something like this:

Sleeve Textile Air gun Military camouflage Comfort
Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel Shotgun

·
Super Moderator
11,718 Posts
The scorpion I think would be a good choice. It'll be quieter (rifles are REALLY loud) and the 124 Federal HST is a decent round. Given you're out in the sticks, I WOULD get some OEM 20 and 30 rounds mags (the gun is made for 30 rounders).

I'd also put a decent optic and WML on it. Perhaps something like this:

View attachment 167786 View attachment 167787
You think you used enough dynamite Butch ?

·
Super Moderator
11,718 Posts
As you know .357 mag. revolvers also shoot .38 spec. A revolver is also less likely to have function issues in my opinion.
True, you could also load .357's back to about 700 fps., but generally when people write about this round they mean the full Monty. :)
Also most of are likely aware that the wheel gun is supposed to be less prone to follow up shots, and in saying this I am not trying to be controversial in the least, I am just curious. Has anyone done any kind of random study as to the percentile of difference between the semi auto (not the tiny ones) and revolvers. The results would be quite interesting to all.
I do know that in the fifties, it was a concern and likely influenced many localities to keep wheel guns with the police...(perhaps) ? I will try to do a search and see if I can find something. Neophyte: are you 'listening".
Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Nothing wrong with the Scorpion for sure but I am not a fan of the chassis added to handguns. During my law enforcement days I was a narcotics officer and was the head guy on a small multip-jurisdiction drug suppression unit and went on a number of buy busts, raids, serving warrants etc. You are going into people's houses without their permission. If you plan well, the time should be when the kids are gone, but you never know. When your gang of guys walks into a house there are dogs and toddlers, toys and stuff to fall over, innocent people, cats, aquariums, stereos blaring, candles burning and bad guys in their underwear, some holding a toothbrush, others with guns., The wives and girlfriends know where all the kitchen knives are and you can expect lots of guns under throw pillows.

When you do a raid plan, every officer is asked to show his gun and his time through the door and where he goes is discussed. In my time officers used handguns, and a rare shotgun, often not their duty gun. In terms of popularity Glocks had taken over, probably because inside you will never need a reload, it happens too quick, so they load up with something that takes over 10- rounds. Second, a lot of older guys made entry with a 357 handgun, while their duty pistol was on the waist, they wanted that big blast and 125 grain bullet at 1,450 fps if they had to fire. And the last group were the SWAT minded guns who always had that special 1911 in 45 acp that they only carried on raids, again their duty gun on the waist and that 45 out front.

I have a 12 gauge pump, a Glock 19 and my carry gun out all the time, (and two 38s hidden in the house) so if I have an invasion that is what is going to work, or not. On raids back then, I was in the 45 acp crowd. Today we have better ammo and any 9, 40, or 45 should work fine. So, I am with your Glock 40 without the chassis. If you are indoors during the event I see no value to a longer gun, if you take it outside the longer guns make sense. I do have AR pistols and other compact carbines, just discussing what I would prefer indoors and why. If you cannot find HP ammo, the flat nose solid ammo is not a bad option. Winchester sells a training round that is flat nose in 147 grain that I like a lot. It is a thumper. Let us know what you decide. Much better to plan now than the morning after.
Thankyou for your input, Im sure you are FAR wiser when it comes to home intrusions and the such, and I agree to everything your saying.
One more factor I forgot to mention is ease of use. See my wife works night shifts at the hospital, and there are days in the week that she's home alone. I know its MY job to protect the her and and our own, but I simply can't be there all the time.
That said, when it comes to the glock 22, alone, my girl cant hit the paper at 5 yards. We tried swapping to a lonewolf 9mm conversion barrel to see how she fairs. Though slightly better, she's terrified from the blast, and her itsy bitty filipino hands be shaking like an a parkinson's pt. BUT, slap the mck on it, and she be making 2-3 inch groups at 15 yards.
On the Scorpion, she does even better at 25 yards, but she states that it is a little heavy for her.

So I guess it all comes down to the pro's and cons

Glock22 (40 cal)
Pros: bigger round, smaller package, more concealable and maneuverable
Cons: 10 rounds max, slightly poorer groups than scorpion, probably more concussive indoors,

Scorpion (9mm)
Pros: 35 rounds, more accurate,
Cons: much longer, heavier, trigger kinda sucks.
I could go with either one but only one can fit in the secureit box.

Planning on taking her to the range again on her next day off, we're gonna see which one she chooses, happy wife= Slight happier life

and when shes not looking, Imma pick myself up another piece, been looking at them cz75's or p320's....

·
Wonderment :)
34,697 Posts
FortyXDM: Sir; once upon a time I got tangled up with a bunch of hogs.
While carrying .41 Blackhawk revolver
Multiple accurate shots in a big hurry doesn’t happen
The event was swift. The action left 1 hog down; 2 hunters in trees
Its one of those times a double stack sure would of come in handy

When practiced. I can set off accurately multiple rounds quickly with .41 4.5” barrel 210g
Not so with GP100 .357 4” 158g

Ive practiced with both! Trying for speed and accuracy.
It appears that I’ve developed some sort of a mental conditioning handling single action
With the GP100 it’s double action. (It’s mental. ) For those. GP 100 is either single or double action

what I experienced that day. It woulda been nice to have a double stack .40
I remember thinking about officers and the messes they get into.
How easily they could be over-run in crowd situations

·
Super Moderator
11,718 Posts
I did do several searches looking for some empirical evidence of revolver vs. semi auto reliability. There were numerous articles which started with the statement, "SOLVED why the (insert either action) is superior!" Each side filled their arguments with mostly opinion and dubious facts. Hate it when someone starts with, "my friend....or, my cousins best friend had this happen type BS, or the gun mag/cylinder fell out.....I saw it. So the search yielded zip in the way of any conclusion. The only thing I found interesting was for some of the knowledgeable giving their take on the pro's and con's of each type. Otherwise a rather dull exercise. The only thing I found that would seem general agreement was that dirty or filthy guns jam. Keep whatever you use clean.
Tom

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Thankyou for your input, Im sure you are FAR wiser when it comes to home intrusions and the such, and I agree to everything your saying.
One more factor I forgot to mention is ease of use. See my wife works night shifts at the hospital, and there are days in the week that she's home alone. I know its MY job to protect the her and and our own, but I simply can't be there all the time.
That said, when it comes to the glock 22, alone, my girl cant hit the paper at 5 yards. We tried swapping to a lonewolf 9mm conversion barrel to see how she fairs. Though slightly better, she's terrified from the blast, and her itsy bitty filipino hands be shaking like an a parkinson's pt. BUT, slap the mck on it, and she be making 2-3 inch groups at 15 yards.
On the Scorpion, she does even better at 25 yards, but she states that it is a little heavy for her.

So I guess it all comes down to the pro's and cons

Glock22 (40 cal)
Pros: bigger round, smaller package, more concealable and maneuverable
Cons: 10 rounds max, slightly poorer groups than scorpion, probably more concussive indoors,

Scorpion (9mm)
Pros: 35 rounds, more accurate,
Cons: much longer, heavier, trigger kinda sucks.
I could go with either one but only one can fit in the secureit box.

Planning on taking her to the range again on her next day off, we're gonna see which one she chooses, happy wife= Slight happier life

and when shes not looking, Imma pick myself up another piece, been looking at them cz75's or p320's....
One of the problems in life is many people do not know the issue when they go in search of an answer. You have it pinned down and the issue with your wife is probably the most important issue. You comment that I am far wiser makes me chuckle. I am just older. Most folks on this forum have equal or greater knowledge, I just spoke up first.

I was first licensed as a CCW instructor in 1996 and my advice for new shooters or people fear full of blast has not changed. I can take anybody and remove that fear in a few sessions and you can also. First you start with a BB gun, Airsof t will work but I like BBs. I want her shooting bottles of water or tin cans that will fall off of a board or something you place them on. I want her brain to associate pulling the trigger with something going thump in front of her. And I want some action of the gun. Even the BB will move a little and we want that.

She needs to shoot the BB gun a half dozen times, and nothing else, no other guns that day, just the BB gun, getting a sight picture, pulling the trigger and watching the target go thump.

Once she master the BB gun you have to spend some money, buy a 22 semi auto. I have many, the most recent is the Glock 44, Walther PP 22, PPKS-22, 1911-22, Firefly or any others will work. I suggest the Glock 44 for you for several reasons. First it has the exact frame and trigger of your Glock model 22. They come with 10 round mags but the after market 18 round mags are great as well.

She can learn to master the G44 and then the only issue is the noise and blast of the bigger guns. Even if she never gets farther than that, she can be armed with a 22 semi auto pistol with 19 rounds in it. That is a far cry from not being armed and it means she can light up any threat. Regardless of what we think ab out the 22, and I have investigated people killed by one round, nobody will keep coming when you have a steady stream of 22s coming your way. Just like the Ruger 1022, there are people who use them for home defense, way down on my list but I am not advancing toward one.

Anyway, you have well defined the issues and the biggest one is when you are not there. Try the smaller guns for her and you will solve that problem. Any cheap BB gun will fill that need to get started. Let us know so we can learn from what works for her .

·
Banned
223 Posts
Smith and Wesson M&P. is the best.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts