Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys, This is realy an age old .22 LR question but, In your opinions what is the best .22 LR ammo for goundhogs between CCI stingers, quick-shoks (hich actually are pre-fragmented, so when you shoot them they turn into 3 little bullets making 3 wound channels), velociter, or the aguila super maximum which go 1750 F.P.S! So you guys choose,Thanks.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
19,029 Posts
CCI velocitors. Just shot the quick shok, so have limited experience w/them.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
35,663 Posts
I've shot the SuperMaximums, and like them for the added 'oomph!"
But they seem a bit lacking in accuracy at a fair distance. I've heard more good things of Velocitors.
Stingers have NOT worked for me. I might as well be shooting a .410 shotgun.... :09:

·
Registered
119 Posts
have you tried mini-mags? I've shot them on my .22's, but quite frankly, for what I use it for I haven't seen a difference.

·
Banned
704 Posts
At least in my gun, the Velocitors are the most accurate of the hypervelocity stuff. And I agree with the previous post - due to their 40 grain bullet they have more down range energy.

Ron

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Yes one is 40 but the other one is 36 or 38 I think. They make a hollowpoint and round nose one.

The stingers are 32 grain and the velcitors are 40 grain.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For me Winchester power points do the job. I shoot 1/4" groups at 50 yds.They do the same damage as velocitors plus more accurate and cheaper.

·
Registered
21 Posts
the rifle is a TOZ-78 with a simmons 9x12 scope.I'm on a webtv unit and can't send pictures,but if any board members live near me they are welcome to come by and see it.
I have a shooting range on my property 25,50 and 100 yards and shoot a lot off a concrete bench.

the TOZ likes HV ammo but shoots powerpoints best.My Remington 597 shoots them about a inch,so I guess it depends on the gun.I shoot sub sonics in the Remington because its suppressed and it likes Aguila SSS best.

·
Banned
704 Posts
A 1/4" 5 shot 50 yard group on a consistent basis (average of a number of groups - at least 5-10) takes a very good gun and very good ammo. If Winchester Power Points can do it on a consistent basis, I suspect they would be winning benchrest competitions instead of Eley and Lapua. Not saying it can't be done, but it seems a stretch given the 1280 velocity of a hunting load, even for a tricked up $3,000 Anschutz.

Ron

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
I kind of like the Remington Yellow jackets. They were pretty accurate out of my 10/22 and when I would shoot rabbits with it they would make a messy exit wound

·
Banned
165 Posts
Measuring Groups Ron-

A 1/4" 5 shot 50 yard group on a consistent basis (average of a number of groups - at least 5-10) takes a very good gun and very good ammo. If Winchester Power Points can do it on a consistent basis, I suspect they would be winning benchrest competitions instead of Eley and Lapua. Not saying it can't be done, but it seems a stretch given the 1280 velocity of a hunting load, even for a tricked up $3,000 Anschutz.

Ron
Firstly, a .250 measured group "could" equal .47 before subtracting the bullet diameter eh?

That said I have a couple tuned Ruger 678s that better the .47 regularly with Wolf MT, in fact a few Troopers here have witnessed sub-MOA @ 100yds from both 678s (one of each, 22-45 Slab & STS Slab) tho I cheat using the Trijicon Reflex.

While I'm bragging I gotta mention winning best 100yds group here in Anchorage at Rabbit Creek Range using a custom 10-22 with the mentioned Wolf MT with a measured .312 before subtracting bullet diameter.

Yeppers, I like two-d-twos!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts