Best load for a squirrel?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by franchi, Sep 29, 2010.

1. franchi

franchi Guest

Im trying to think up the best load for squirrel this season. I have tried a 1&1/8oz load of BB and they patterend OK out of my 870 with a mod choke, but there were some holes in the pattern. I was using around 30gr of RedDot powder and a clay buster wad. I was thinking of using a # 7&1/2 shot as a buffer inbetween the BB. BB might be over kill but thats what i have laying around to pattern with. I want to try some 6 shot and 5 shot but i dont have any

2. ALR

ALR ][][][% Forum Contributor

I think a heavy load of biscuits and gravy would do well!

3. I think a load of 40 grain CCI mini mags out of your choice of .22lr rifle would be good :p God knows many many squirrels have fallen to a dark fate from mine.

4. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    A .22 or a .410 shotgun works fine. I personally think 12 gauge is a little overkill for squirrels

5. .22lr subsonics are nice for squirrel hunting. Quieter and more accurate than high velocity or hyper velocity ammo.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  6. franchi

franchi Guest

12 is all i have, i got rid of my 20ga a few years ago. wisconsinhunter, so would 16gr. work? I made a few off of my skeet load, only using bb instead of #8s

7. Although I haven't used a shotgun in years to hunts squirrels, I now use a 22 LR or my Winchester Model 74 that's chambered for shorts, a 3\4 ounce load of #6's works well out of a 28 gauge.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  8. 16 Gauge would work fine, I'd personally use 5's or 6's.

9. franchi

franchi Guest

i think you are confused with my post, i meant 16 grains of red dot powder not 16ga

10. Sorry I misread, what kind of hulls are you using?? My shot shell manual is at Dad's house 150 miles away, but an ounce or ounce and an eighth of 5's or 6's going between 1140 and 1250 fps should do a fine job.

11. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

!6gr will get close to 1100fps with 1 1/8oz shot but I would push 18gr at about 1200fps and use #4,s, 5,s,or 6,s.The smaller the shot,the more you get in them,which is good for killing but bad for picking them out.I use 6,s. finally found a load chart ,,,http://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...eightdis=1+1/8&shellid=453&gtypeid=3&gauge=12

12. I know he was talking about shotgun loads, I was just being a smart a$$ lol.

13. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

14. franchi

franchi Guest

Im most likely going to buy a bag of number 6 shot, maybe half a bag if the shop has one. 16.5gr of red dot, sts gold hull and claybuster wad. Id hate to have to use a 22

15. Mine is 37grains longshot powder with Fed 12S3 wads with #6 shot & CCI primers works very well.

16. longshooter234

longshooter234 G&G Evangelist

Alabama
    I usually tought 6's with me cuz when i bust squirrels i usually end up poppin a rabbit or wood cock or snipe or quail and its a good all around round. If squirrels were all i was going for i might carry a 22 cuz its easier to pick out one big piece of lead that 15 little ones, but i can't hit birds with a .22 and i have only hit one rabbit with one. If only rabbits or squirrels were an option i might even opt for a #4 or heck even #3 buck shot. If u time ur shot to were the squirrel is just leavin one branch to go to another they will pause for a split sec and then put a bead on em and drop the hammer.

17. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Evangelist

I rearely use a shotgun for tree rats but when I do I use 6s and try to hit them with the fringe of the pattern.

18. 101MP

101MP G&G Newbie

I have a Rem 870 Wingmaster that I sometimes take squirrel hunting. Durring the spring I like to use #4 shot, because spring time is a great time for turkey as well. Remember if u do see a turkey make sure u have the proper license and tags.

19. Shoot, I have been using a Marlin .22 for half my life, And I nver once hunted squirrel with a shot-gun. Honestly I think it might even add sport but meh, i'm thinking that 4 or 5 would work well up in my neck o the woods. :)

20. I have always use #6. And I live in southern Indiana dense thick woods. Have never had a problem. But, turkey season comes in April 14 and tree rats in August. But turkey I do use #4.