close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best Military Rifle

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Downrange, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Downrange

Downrange Precision through accuracy

What's the best military rifle in history?

2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    M1 Garand, its history speaks for itself.

3. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Oh, what a can of worms this opens up! If you're talking quality and accuracy, it could be the M1 Garand, or the Swedish Mauser. If you mean sheer numbers, it could be the basic Mauser design. If you mean on-going suucess in the worlds armies, either the AK or the M-16 rifles.
    You'll get as many different answers, as there are people on this forum. I expect a lively "discussion" on this one!

:assult:

4. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

are we talking single shot or multi shot because if Its a bolt gun I would say the Pre-64 Model 70 Winchester. Like the one Hathcock used in Vietnam

5. I vote for the M14. Good solid and dependable gun in all weather conditions. Like many semi's/autos you could drop it in mud..., pick it up and keep on chuggin'.

Only draw back in my book was the weight...sure got heavy after a while.

I liked it simply because I felt very confident and confortable with my abilities when using it.

6. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

i like them all!!!!. no fence sitter here:rolleyes: ;) :D

7. BEST??

YOU WILL GET AS MANY ANSWERS AS THERE ARE TYPES BUT MY FAVORITE USER IS A JOHNSON AUTOMATIC WITH A BALVAR 8 SCOPE. FUN TO SHOOT AND DOES NOT HIT FROM BOTH ENDS. IF YOU HAVE NOT USED ONE IT IS QUITE A EYE OPENER.
    DANA

8. dhermesc

dhermesc G&G Evangelist

If you look around the world at every hot spot, the AK47 seems to be the choice of at least one side if not both. May not be the most accurate (M14, M1) or most ergonomic (M16, AR15) but it seems to be the most bang for the buck. Watch the NRA video on the 10 most influential firearms in history.

9. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

M14 you bet. .30 cal over .223 any day!!

10. Joe B.

Joe B. G&G Newbie

Another vote for the M14. 20rds.,serious rifle cartridge very good sights and can be had in wood or syn. The M16 is a good choice also, but I'm not over optomistic about the .223/5.56.

Joe

11. well........

my vote for the best bolt action goes to the mauser 98, second the lee-enfield, and 3rd the mosin-nagant, for best semi auto of ww2 my vote goes to the M1 grand, second the SVT-40, and 3rd the GEWER-43, for best modern semi auto my vote goes to the H&K-36, second the AK-47, and 3rd the FAL, for best sniper rifle my vote goes to the remington 700 in 30-06. "I just want my M-14" .223 vs .308?? well... lets just say ".308 holes make invisible souls" .223 just make's em mad!', best military rifle ever?? I'd H&K-36.:assult:

12. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I'm with Papa G....all of 'em!! :target:

13. M14 First, Second: FNFal, the rest well....

14. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

As the best rifle among our present choices:
    I'm one person who thinks the HK G3 is highly underrated. It can hit accurately AND durably if properly built. Accessories and knowledge can transfer between different models, like the PSG-1 and MSG-90. I think it's a great rifle that just has yet to be used for anything as recognizable as the M1 Garand.
    As the best in its part of history:
    M1 Garand, because it was the cutting edge rifle that did NOT sacrifice capability, unlike the Vietnam Era M16. It put our country ahead in wars that were stacked against us.
    But I tend to believe that in most conflicts until the Civil War, the model of standard issue weaponry meant nothing compared to the extreme discipling and training of the men. Skill is still the most important thing, but in the 18th century, I don't think the type of infantry weapon made ANY difference. Wars were won purely by being fast enough with your weapon to overwhelm the enemy.

15. Mauser Gew98/Kar98 comes in first,
    M1 Garand comes in a close second.

-Jesse

:assult: :cop:

16. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

M1 Garand, maybe not the best today, but for it's significance in history it takes the cake for me...

Jesse

17. Benny

Benny G&G Newbie

I'm gonna have to go with the M1 Garand too on this one. Potent round, quick follow up shot if needed, very accurate. Just my 2cents!

Benny

18. Armorer

Armorer Guest

1803 Harper's Ferry Rifle. <-- Look it up
    Modified 1814: Steel ramrod, 1:66 twist
    Modified 1836: Percussion cap :-(
    Modified 1852: from 54cal to 58cal US standard before the civil war.

Oh yeah did I mention it was the very first U.S. contact rifle :)
    Lasted many years, and you can still get them brand new!

Best Battle rifle M1 Garand
    Best shooter 1903A3 Springfield

19. Overall?
    FNFAL, reliable, accurate, high power, simple and easy to repair. And NO gas blown directly into the bolt carrier like some other Mickey Mouse weapons.

The Right Arm of the Free World!