Best multi-purpose rifle

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doc Jones, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Doc Jones

Doc Jones G&G Addict

On a recent thread the forum folk were good enough to steer me toward a good rifle as part of the SHTF arsenal.

I know some about shotguns and handguns but next to nothing about rifles. What caliber, configuration and brand would you recommend as a great multi-purpose rifle for shooting deer and BGs after the apocalypse.

Doc

2. Tack Driver

Tack Driver G&G Evangelist

A Remington R-25 in .308, or an FN FAL in .308.

3. Tack Driver

As far as a survival rifle for the wilderness, it would be a Savage 24 .22 Hornet barrel over a 12 gauge barrel.

4. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

The .30-06 is a great choice

It has successfully taken all American game for over 100 years. It is factory loaded in the widest bullet weight range of any cartridge.
    Components are widely available. Factory loaded ammo is widely available.

Personally, I would choose a higher quality bolt action mated to a higher quality scope.

5. sea_chicken1

sea_chicken1 G&G Evangelist

If the only option would be one gun I would go with a 12g pump all the way. You can shoot slugs at big game or for defense at a distance and use various shot loads from big game to birds and rabits.

6. larmus

larmus G&G Enthusiast

Doc Jones it would depend on the set up you want to run with... if you had a revolver i would choose a leveraction rifle in the same caliber i.e. .45long colt like ruger vaquero's and a leveraction in .45lc as well... if you have a semiauto handgun they do make pistol caliber rifles or carbines and some even take the same mags as the guns like the highpoint series... but if you have say an 1911 .45 and you dont own a "tommygun" then i would go with a shotgun in 12g first 20" barrel and at least a 7+1 capacity in pump or semi-auto, or if i had to get a rifle i would go with anything in a semi-auto (im kinda hooked on the sks to fill this niche)... but you will get some good advice from everyone here so good luck and let us know or see what you get...

7. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

8. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

IMHO Something in .30-06 or 7.62 NATO and an SU-16 in 5.56 NATO.

9. Doc Jones

Doc Jones G&G Addict

Looks like it comes in 22 Hor, 223 Rem, 30-30 Win or 17 HMR on top of the 12g. is there a reason you'd get the .22 rather than one of the bigger calibers on top?

Doc

10. andy*

andy* G&G Newbie

Does it have to one rifle? A .22lr is great for putting meat on the table. Something in .30/06 or .30/30 would be good to have around for big stuff and ammo is easily found.
    The revolver and rifle combo sounds nice too, maybe a combo in .357mag. would fit the bill? Andy

11. jrswanson1

jrswanson1 G&G Newbie

Okay, ditch the shotgun idea. Shells are too heavy to carry and if you're shooting small game you're wasting ammo. That's what snares are for. Same deal with a .22 rimfire. Everybody has this mind set where they shoot small game. ??? Too much noise for too little gain.

A centerfire 22 is nice, and it CAN take deer, but I would not recommend it. Again, too much noise for too little benefit.

Personally, a good semi-auto carbine in a mid-weight cartridge would give you a lot of advantages.

1. Enough power to take down a threat NOW at reasonable ranges
    2. Enough power to take down deer at reasonable ranges
    3. Not as much noise as heavier cartridges
    4. Less weight per round than even 308 based cartridges

I don't have one yet, but I am working towards getting a Mini-14 in 6.8 SPC. I don't care about finding more ammo. If you're looking for more ammo, you either aren't prepared or you wasted too much doing something you shouldn't. By this time next year, I will have 3000 rounds of it saved up, on top of rounds I've shot during the year. I won't outlive my ammo supply if I have that much.

Jim

12. the_harbinger

the_harbinger Suspended

m14. FOR THE WIN!!! or m1 or whatever they call the civilian versions.
    the 7.62nato is a great all around round.in a carbine you know as long as you hit what your aming at it will go down and stay there.and you can acuratly aim out beyond 1000yrds.my father wants one of the new socom 16s cause there shorter. ill keeb my m14 ebr

13. Tack Driver

You can carry a lot more ammo with a 22 Hornet or 223, and with good ammo, they will cleanly kill a deer with a neck or head shot.

14. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

The M24 is a great all around choice for survival. I have one in 22LR/.410. Use of snares is a good idea, but usually yields far less than a 22LR will. A 410 slug will drop a deer if encountered.

15. Doc Jones

Doc Jones G&G Addict

Thanks Tack. Sorry for my confusion. I thought .22 Hornet was a brand of .22LR and that didn't seem like enough punch for deer.

I did a bit of digging and learned the .22 Hornet is quite a different critter than .22LR.

For other potentially confused newbies here's the link I found describing the cartridge.

.22 Hornet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seems like it would indeed be a good "general purpose" cartridge.

Doc

16. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

For the cost of the ammo, you are better off with a .223 than a .22 Hornet.

As for the ONE rifle question, my signature says it all. I have owned and shot just about every general purpose rifle on the market, and I would take the AR10 (.308) with a 20" barrel and a VERY good scope for my "One rifle" choice. And I don't care if it looks "scary" to some folks.

M1 Garand (.30-06) would be my second choice.:usa2:

17. SMcQueen

SMcQueen G&G Newbie

I'll be rolling with an AR-15 craddled in my arms and a Colt .45 on my man tit.

18. chiefrcd

chiefrcd G&G Newbie

I've come to love the 7.62 x 33 in Corbon DPX with a Barnes all copper bullet.... and a good old .45 myself as my primary weapons. 12 ga. pump 18" with a Green Laser (daytime) as my back up weapon.

19. knightRider

knightRider G&G Newbie

i would say either an fal in 308 or my ak74 in 5.45

20. BradleyCMDR

BradleyCMDR G&G Newbie

+1
    I own a SA SOCOM I .308 just like the one I had in the military. My wife wants mine and let me get a SA SOCOM II .308. She likes it because it doesn't kick as hard as my Mossburg 590s and it will be commonality of ammo(12ga, .45, and .308). Even with a 20rnd magazine(fully loaded), a Harris Bipod, and a raised rail with a SA Mildot Scope she can handle the weight fairly well. The compact size reduces range compared to a stardard M14 or M1 Scout but at her height(5'3") she handles it quit well. I don't expect her to carry heavy but working her up to a full Combat Loadout weight.
    Just IMHO you need something in a .308 caliber. It is the best all around round for your needs(BANG Vs. BUCK & Weight)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted