Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First bolt action rifle in my collection, and looking for 30-06. Whats the most accurate rifle for the money?

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Hard to beat a Weatherby Vanguard/Howa 1500 for the money. I bought mine onsale almost 2 years ago for $390. My whole set up cost me just under 700 bucks and shoots 1 inch groups.

Weatherby Vanguard
Nikon Prostaff 3-9x50mm scope
Leopold Scope rings
Remington rails
and sling

Savage makes some good rifles for under $700. the Remington 700 is another good one that you can usually get for under $700. Also Marlin makes the XL7 and XS7 for around $300 and are very accurate rifles too.

Personally, the xl7 my buddy had felt kinda odd to me but the Vanguard felt good to me thats why I got it, plus they have a 1 inch group guarante for 100 yards.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
ha ha You posted that as I was editing my post to add the xl series.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,110 Posts
For the rifle alone, you can't hardly go wrong with either a Remington 700 or a Winchester Model 70. But to get the kind of performance out of them they are capable of delivering, you're going to have to spend as much on the glass as you did on the rifle.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
For the rifle alone, you can't hardly go wrong with either a Remington 700 or a Winchester Model 70. But to get the kind of performance out of them they are capable of delivering, you're going to have to spend as much on the glass as you did on the rifle.
True that but there are some budget scopes out there that perform quite well, one of them is the basic Bushnell Banner series. Dad has a 3-9x40mm scope on his .270 and it is pretty darn clear and holds a zero like none-other.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you can't find a remington 700 within that price range, then go for the Weatherby Vanguard. The Weatherby vanguard, Marlin xl7 and xs7 are the way to go outside of the remingtons.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
My favorites in the "under $700" price range are the Weatherby Vanguard/Howa 1500, the Savage 110 and it's variants, the Ruger M77, and the Remington 700. I have had nothing but good luck with all of them, and would trust any of them to get the job done in whatever conditions I am hunting in.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
My favorites in the "under $700" price range are the Weatherby Vanguard/Howa 1500, the Savage 110 and it's variants, the Ruger M77, and the Remington 700. I have had nothing but good luck with all of them, and would trust any of them to get the job done in whatever conditions I am hunting in.

Dad's .270 is a Ruger M77 MKII

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Tikka T3 Lite.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Rem 700 or Marlin XL7 gets my vote. I have a XL in 270, 3/4 inch groups. I have a 700 in 223 bbl, clover leaf groups at 100. But the Rem 700 is too heavy for much more than target shooting.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
I'd suggest either the Tikka T3, Savage 110 or the Weatherby Vanguard\Howa. The advantage to getting the Savage is the ease of converting to another caliber if you stay with the same size case-head. I expect the Marlin XL\XS series to follow this trend once the aftermarket sees that they're here to stay and start producing barrels for them like they do for the Savage\Stevens line.
That said, I love my Winchester 70 in .270 Win., but I'd trade it for a Tikka any day of the week.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts