best scope for the money?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by JohnD, Mar 19, 2002.

1. JohnD

JohnD Member

What is the best scope for the money for varmint hunting? I want a decent scope for under $200 canadian. I am looking at a tasco varmit/tactical 6-24X42 @ $189 is this scope good enough for the job, I do not need that high of quality as long as it is accuate and holds a zero, It will be going on a .270 that already has a bushnell 3-9X40. That is good enough for deer hunting but long range coyotes it is not good enough. Also i want somthing with mill dots. anybody use these scopes? With the weaver detachable rings can I have both of them sighted in on seperate rings and swich them without loss of zero?

2. KidKwiK

KidKwiK G&G Newbie

I'm not really an expert on this subject, but awhile back I was looking at scopes and looked at abunch of diffrent reviews on the web. If I'm not mistaken alot of scopes are made by the same company and put under diffrent names. Try searching the internet for reviews on what your looking for it may help. Just my 2cents.

3. squirrelsniper

squirrelsniper G&G Newbie

Quite a few people will disagree with me on this, but I've had really good luck with BSA when it comes to the cheaper scopes. The optics aren't as good as higher priced scopes but I've never had one to lose zero and the adjustments are accurate on all of mine. The BSA scopes are usually in the same price range as a comparable Tasco scope too.

4. tonto

tonto G&G Newbie

I have a new 2.8x10x44 Simmons Aetec on my .270 great optics and priced good, they come in the higher mag. for varmints.
    But I have heard allot of good things about the BSA scopes for varmints, and they have the mildot reticle you are wanting too.

5. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Leupold always is a great choice and its a good scope for Hi-Shock Rifles

6. sadiehn

sadiehn G&G Newbie

I have and enjoy a bushnell banner 6x18 50mm good glass decent eye releif and real reasonable price 158$

7. JohnD

JohnD Member

Is that USA$?

8. sadiehn

sadiehn G&G Newbie

yep bought it new in the box at masterman sportinggoods you can pick the same identical scope at wallmart for 150$ in USA$

the scope also has a ajustable objective

9. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I love my Tasco EXP 3x9. It is oval, like 54mm wide and 46mm high (I do not remember exact measurements) . It was like $180 at Wally World. I use it on my Weatherby. It is nitrogen filled, fully coated, and came with a lifetime warranty. I think it is a great scope for the price.

10. JohnD, I have a Tasco 4x16. It has target turrets, which is the first time I've ever had , and I really like them. So much so, that any scope I ever have in the future will have them on it. I am very pleased with this scope. It has a clear field of view, and holds zero through all power settings. I gave 90$ for it at a local gun shop. It is fully fog proof, water proof, and has a lifetime warranty. I have never owned a high priced scope, but the ones I've looked through on rifles that I have sited in, I see no differance in the ones that cost 100$ or 400$.

11. JohnD

JohnD Member

Yes you do not always have to pay a price for good optics. I think that there is no need to spend more money on a scope than the gun is worth.

12. Klaus, what calibre weatherby do you have the Tasco EXP on?
    How long have you used it on that gun? How do you find the oval view for looking in? I'm looking for a scope for a 300 RUM and am looking at a Leupold but I have to admit the EXP interests me and comes in the power range I want (1.5-5x32/44).
    I don't know of anybody using the EXP in my area.

13. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Mine is a 30-06. The RUM would probably kick a little more. I have had the scope a bit over a year. I like the wide view and the good brightness, even at high magnification. I also have a Simmons 3x-10x 44mm scope that I like a lot. They call it a "Wide Angle 44 Mag".

Last edited: Mar 23, 2002
  14. IMO, the best scope for the money is from IOR-Valdada. You get Swarovski-quality optics at a Leupold price.

15. Adirondack Bill

Adirondack Bill G&G Newbie

Zeiss Conquest for about $500. Can't be beat.:p

16. carl

carl G&G Newbie

for the money atn go to their web site atncorp.com i use these exclusivly. i use the 6x18x65mm on most all 30 cal, and i use the 12x36x90mm on my 50 bmg.both have 1000 yard ranging, coated optics, etc. atn makes 90% of all night vision epuipment in the world. andthey make all the optics for the major optics companies, leupold, zeis swarofski ,bauch and lomb etc. they are from the ukrain and have set up in the u.s. the 6x18x65 mm will run you 499.

17. Eddie L.

Eddie L. G&G Newbie

scopoes

I am going to show my age.. Most of my weapons are scoped with old steel tube Weaver K or V series scopes. Have two Weaver target scopes in steel. Maybe the new ones are better but I Have had good luck on the hunt. These are all scattered on some 60 guns.

18. StateWrkr

StateWrkr G&G Newbie

Adirondack Bill, I recently purchased two Zeiss Conquest scopes in the 3.5-10 power. One is great. The other Zeiss had to be sent back because it shot all over the place and it couldn't be zeroed. Also, the bolt handle on the Remington Model 700 BDL hit the rubber eyecup while using low rings. They are good scopes, but not infallible.

19. Adirondack Bill

Adirondack Bill G&G Newbie

State Wrkr,

Thanks for your input. Just got them a couple of months ago and haven't been to the range with them yet. I hope they are ok because I bought them used at a gun show.

Did Zeiss correct the problem with the bad one ?

:confused:

Bill

20. StateWrkr

StateWrkr G&G Newbie

Adirnondack Bill,
    I sent the scope back to Zeiss and they received it on May 9. I haven't heard from them yet, but I'll let you know what happens with the scope. Good luck with your scopes.