Best self defense ammo?

Discussion in 'FEG' started by Hawkeye 63, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Hawkeye 63

Hawkeye 63 G&G Newbie

What's the best self defense ammo out there for the PA-63? I'm going to make it my concealed carry weapon and want the most stopping power I can get. Thanks.

2. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Silver Bear makes 9x18 hollowpoints that don't seem to have feeding issues with the PA-63. But there aren't a whole lot of choices out there. Fond as I am of the 9x18 Makarov cartridge, there simply isn't a whole lot of choice in bullets, because it's neither an exotic hunting round nor one of the 'universal cartridges' like the 9mm Parabellum or the .45 ACP, or even the .380 ACP.

3. Pope130

Pope130 G&G Enthusiast

Georgia Arms loads a 90gr Gold Dot hollow point that gets out of a PA-63 at about 1050fps. My brother just fired a test batch over the weekend. They were very consistant on the chronograph, accurate and had no feed problems.

It's my new carry load.

Robert

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  4. 9mmXDm

9mmXDm Suspended

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  5. Hawkeye 63

Hawkeye 63 G&G Newbie

I tried to get some Hornady HPs from Sportsman's guide, but they were out of stock. Have any of you guys had any experience with "powrball" ammo from Cor-Bon? I checked out their web site. The ammo looks like it should perform well, but it's a little pricey. I don't mind spending a little more $$ on carry ammo, but I'm not sure if the stuff will feed in my PA-63. Guess I'll keep looking for the Hornady. Thanks for the replies.

6. I carry my FEG daily (on a University Campus) and it's not stopping power that I want, I want something that will stop the bad guy without going thru a bunch of bystanders.

That's why I use Glaser Safety Slugs. It's a hollow bullet filled with shot and capped with a rubber tip. Feeds into the FEG like candy in a fat kid.