Best way to put engine and tranny in

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Chris, May 7, 2008.

1. Chris

Chris G&G Evangelist Staff Member Forum Contributor

So I have a full car lift and fork lift. This is a 94 Ford mustang.

I have the engine out. the transmission is going to be replaced too. the only thing is...would it be easier to put the engine and transmission together and then try to drop them both in at the same time or not. It's just a PITA to put the engine and then the tranny back in separately.

Thoughts?

2. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Guest

Usually faster to put them in together Chris, unless space is tight. I use a 4 chain engine tilter setup which makes things much easier..

Last edited: May 12, 2008

3. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

As long as the radiator and condensor are out, it's a lot easier to install the engine and tranny together. Lift the car a bit so you can get underneath easily without sacrificing your ability to lean over the fenders. A floor jack is invaluable, but you can get by without a tilt fixture if you have to-just be sure to get the balance point so the engine hangs evenly side-to-side. Remove the Trans. crossmember if you haven't already and slide the eng\trans in. If possible, put the floor jack under the trans in a spot that won't interfere with reinstalling the x-member. Lift the rear of the trans as needed while lowering the engine and sliding the whole thing to the rear until you can set the eng. into the motor mounts. Bolt up the mounts and then adjust the trans height to install the trans x-member. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

4. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I take the Hood off...Put it in together...Much easier !!!
    Rich