Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to two places today to hunt.

The first was an extended powerline cut full of nasty briars and piles of branches. Great place for rabbits. Didn't pan out, however. The day was unusually hot and the cut crosses some dry, mountain areas. Any rabbits were buried up tight in their dens.

Second place was a well-watered hollow on the same property. Plenty of mountain laurel, tree falls and brush, but no rabbits, either.

Decided to end the day with a squirrel or two.

Walked along an old logging trail until I heard one barking or signaling up a ridge side. The sun was going down behind the ridge, so it was difficult to see him or to definitely place his location.

Slowly started up the ridge by hiding behind trees or taking small steps- not easy on a short, fat dude.

Finally stopped beside a tree to re-evaluate the wisdom of the chase and to try to locate the critter better. While scanning the trees, I caught movement to the left- SQUIRREL!!!

He had come around the base of a tree maybe 20' to my left. He looked at me, flicked his tail and scooted back around the tree. Got him!

I waited at the base of my tree for several minutes, but didn't see him climbing or trying to escape by ground. Took small rocks and threw past his tree hoping to get him to make that fatal mistake.

Nothing.

Picked up a fallen limb, broke off the branches and heaved it past his tree. Still nothing.

This guy was good.

Decided to wait him out for as long as it took. After 15+ minutes of squat, I knew something was up, so I walked up to his tree and started to circle it- immediately laughing loud and sincerely.

The tree this nemesis had taunted me on looked like a trough on the other side. He had found a great, split tree for a nest and had merely snuck into that nest a half hour before.

I left him in peace and congratulated him on his victory.

That'll do, squirrel. That'll do.

·
Premium Member
9,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You coulda waited all day and never seen him again lol.
Wished I’d thought to take a photo of the tree. It’s only about a foot or so wide and looks completely normal from the front.

The back looks like a section of rain gutter and then the hole goes right up into the tree.

Squirrel bro had my number from the get go. Lol

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Wished I’d thought to take a photo of the tree. It’s only about a foot or so wide and looks completely normal from the front.

The back looks like a section of rain gutter and then the hole goes right up into the tree.

Squirrel bro had my number from the get go. Lol
At least you're making progress now you're at least seeing them

·
Premium Member
9,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At least you're making progress now you're at least seeing them
That’s true, sir.

In retrospect, this has been one of those ‘transitional’ years as a hunter.

Not to blather on, but those little guys have taught me more about forest ecology, time management and my own failings, foibles and successes as a sportsman than I realized.

This has been a wonderful hunting season so far and I appreciate the G&G Tribe for helping.

·
Super Moderator
16,752 Posts
Went to two places today to hunt.

The first was an extended powerline cut full of nasty briars and piles of branches. Great place for rabbits. Didn't pan out, however. The day was unusually hot and the cut crosses some dry, mountain areas. Any rabbits were buried up tight in their dens.

Second place was a well-watered hollow on the same property. Plenty of mountain laurel, tree falls and brush, but no rabbits, either.

Decided to end the day with a squirrel or two.

Walked along an old logging trail until I heard one barking or signaling up a ridge side. The sun was going down behind the ridge, so it was difficult to see him or to definitely place his location.

Slowly started up the ridge by hiding behind trees or taking small steps- not easy on a short, fat dude.

Finally stopped beside a tree to re-evaluate the wisdom of the chase and to try to locate the critter better. While scanning the trees, I caught movement to the left- SQUIRREL!!!

He had come around the base of a tree maybe 20' to my left. He looked at me, flicked his tail and scooted back around the tree. Got him!

I waited at the base of my tree for several minutes, but didn't see him climbing or trying to escape by ground. Took small rocks and threw past his tree hoping to get him to make that fatal mistake.

Nothing.

Picked up a fallen limb, broke off the branches and heaved it past his tree. Still nothing.

This guy was good.

Decided to wait him out for as long as it took. After 15+ minutes of squat, I knew something was up, so I walked up to his tree and started to circle it- immediately laughing loud and sincerely.

The tree this nemesis had taunted me on looked like a trough on the other side. He had found a great, split tree for a nest and had merely snuck into that nest a half hour before.

I left him in peace and congratulated him on his victory.

That'll do, squirrel. That'll do.
Come on Rocket Raccoon... I could just imagine you being like..

"Eh... screw it!", and launching a plasma bomb or something into the middle of the woods at the tree. before leaving.:p

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
I grew up on this land squirrel hunting. Those little farts are not always as crazy as they act. More crazy like a fox at times.
I used to hunt with two brothers on "their" property:rolleyes: , as a young teen. Used pellet rifles and two screwy little squirrel dogs they had.
Modus operandi was the dogs and us kids would spot the squirrel and the dogs would give chase, us running behind the dogs. This kept up, not always in a straight line more like a bee in a field of flowers until either the squirrel leapt into a tree it couldn't easily get out of or maybe it got wore out as we did.
Then after paused heaving and panting for a minute or two we'd shoot the sweating ball of fur out of the tree. This went on until we got 4-6 to take up to their house for supper. Or near to supper time as we dared stay out; not so much out of fear of being late to supper time but that the growling from our stomachs would spook the squirrels into the next county over. :D

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yeah, those squirrels can be crafty! I hunt them a lot and on occasion, get fooled.

I was out Sunday and got my limit of 6, all grays. They were rutting and tossed all caution to the wind.

The ground was wet from a lot of rain the night before, and very muddy. At least it was silent stalking on the dropped leaves.

I arrived home two hours after leaving with my pile of gray squirrels.

My Savage BMAG .17 WSM with 20gr fodder is very deadly for small game and squirrels that consider me too far away to present a danger, LOL!

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
That’s true, sir.

Not to blather on, but those little guys have taught me more about forest ecology, time management and my own failings, foibles and successes as a sportsman than I realized.

This has been a wonderful hunting season so far and I appreciate the G&G Tribe for helping.
FB_IMG_15789629055461883.jpg

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
That’s true, sir.

Little fellers are teaching you a lot of patience also.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Squirrels are like people, some smarter than others. For the smarter individuals (squirrels) a different direction of your approach often works. I have hunted some smart ones and sometimes it took a couple of hunting seasons or so to get them.

The longest shot I ever took on a squirrel was certain fox squirrel that lived in a half dead oak. He always sunned on the same limb and escaped into the same den hole. After several years, I peeled him off his limb with a Marlin 60 loaded with CCI Stingers, nailed his head. About the time we would get close enough for a .22 shot, he always escaped into his hole.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,022 Posts
I once had the drop on two squirrels mating on a limb - a big Fox squirrel atop a female grey squirrel. I never knew different species would mate together. I aimed my Rem870 16 gauge, trying for a double kill. I fired, the little grey was nailed, and the big Fox ran! Dang that tight full choke! I recovered the grey squirrel.
Another time a grey squirrel popped up on a tree about fifteen feet away and a few feet off the ground. Knowing my gun had a tight choke, I aimed for his head. Took his skull clean off from the ears up! A hatchet couldn't have done cleaner.
Later I started using Dad's old Winchester 1400 semiauto. I had installed a Polychoke on it and could dial in the choke as needed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts