Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sept 15th 2019 the squirrel season opens, squirrels have made cause to have a vendetta against them.

Sept 15th 2018.
Walk back along the creek to a hill top take a seat againest a big pine tree and cradle the Rugar 77 22 hornet (NO SCALPERS WILL RIP ME OFF FOR 11 TO 15 CENTS A PIECE 22LR AMMO.)in my shooting sticks as I wait for things to settle down.
Doesn't take long for the squirrels to start to collect the acorns that cover the ground then one decides ro take a seat on a log near the creek edge to sample one of the acrons it had collected.

The Rugar is raised to the shoulder and the cross hairs settle on the squirrels noggin, a slight squeeze of the trigger and the Ruger gives a gental push to the shoulder as the 55 grain Serria at 1600FPS removes the squirrels head.

One nice red phase squirrel down and 4 to go. No sooner eject the empty cartridge and insert another when a second squirrel jumps up on the same log to donate its body to a Bacon wrapped baked squirrel dish.

The 5 squirrel limit is filled in less than 45 minutes from one single stand. Is a good year for squirrels population in this area. Acron crop is good and falling, Hickory nuts are heavy in the trees and falling, then later in the fall the corn field just across the fence will provide a mess of ear corn for the squirrels.

Just walking the dog thru the woods two days before the season I counted 18 squirrels standing on tree limbs cussing the dog and myself out for interruppting their harvesting.

A friend said I was crazy going out to shoot a mess of nasty squirrels. their hide is so tough you can hardly cut it with a knife. I told him he was the crazy one missing out on some very fine eatting like the fore mentioned bacon wrapped baked squirrels, squirrel gravey and biscuits. and a stew with plenty of squirrel meat and veggies.

I told him if he could not afford a decent knife that would hold an edge get some hooked carpet blades for his utilty knife and that works great for the 1 minute squirrel skinning method, and 3 minutes to get rid of the skins and inwards.

Can't wait.

:D. Al

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't hardly stand it, the wait. Took the Hornet out twice this week and shot holes in those 2 inch orange just bottle caps my wife buys.
Pretty nice targets drill a hole in them run a screw thru then pack them in a carry all (I use a 5 gallon bucket.) with the cord less drill. walk out and screw them to trees different distances.

They do not break when hit even when it is really cold. use the cordless drill in reverese to remove them.

Now back on the farm My brother and my hunting partner used to shoot at hanging ears of corn out in the feild. stuff was super ripe and when hit the corn would fly out.

But we don't have the farm any longer.

5 days more.

:D Al

·
Premium Member
6,185 Posts
No! Uses just enough powder to make 1600 FPS. slower thsn thr 1800 Plus of a 22 Mag round.

That is an interesting post. The .22 Rim Fire magnum factory with a head shot destroys a Western Cotton Tail Rabbit. The high impact round causes massive blood shot wounds.
I use a CZ-527 .22 Hornet with cast lead bullets running at 950 Fps. muzzle velocity. :)

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have some reduced load rounds for my 220 swift also.

The Speer manuals have reduced load listing foir most 22 center fired.
Problem is the powder they use for those reduced loads is no longer made and they have not did any new load testing or published a new manual yet.

I do not care if the hornet takes the head off of a squirrel as I do not nor will I eat the brains any way.

"Doctors in Kentucky have issued a warning that people should not eat squirrel brains, a regional delicacy, because squirrels may carry a variant of mad cow disease that can be transmitted to humans and is fatal."

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/08/29/...against-a-regional-dish-squirrels-brains.html

·
Premium Member
6,185 Posts
The high velocity bullets fired from a hornet are intended for killing varmints. These are fragmenting rounds. A Hornet can take the head off and flood the front legs and back with hemorrhaging.
Using large centerfire brass to shoot Squirrels is an endeavor of unequaled devotion to your favorite rifle.:usa2:

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So you say but today after the mess just a few years back trying to find 22lr ammo at a decent price has many today shooting reduced rounds from 22 center fires.

I friends who also enjoy hand loading ammo who switched to center fire rounds. My closest friend uses his dads old 222 Remington. Loads a 40 grain bullet over 7 grains of 4759 and gets a slow 1489 FPS.

They work despite what your saying.

·
Registered
309 Posts
There is no such a thing as using too much rifle for squirrel hunting when used properly, like you gentlemen do.

I really enjoyed reading the posts.

I hunt squirrels with my .17 WSM. Some unknowing folks swear it is too much gun for squirrels. But as we know, it's all about bullet placement.

·
Wonderment :)
32,999 Posts
JohnA: Sir; I took a friend squirreling:). (He's an excellent shot)
.17hmr. I explained a number of times. Head shots only
He got excited; poor squirrel was disemboweled beyond human consumption
Needless for me to ever say more :)

·
Registered
10,354 Posts
Grandma used to make stuffing and bake the big grays we had up home. Them reds were not so tasty for some reason.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Boy color me red, Was about to go out and reduce the squirrel population yesterday. Then at the door the light came on and I have not bought my base License or any other yet.

We used to be able to freely hunt our own land for small game for most of my life time.
Then 8 years ago it became a law we had to buy a small game (base) License.
So I have to wait till I can get to a store today that sells them before the squirrels give up there meat for consumtion.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
That really blows having to buy a license to hunt on your own property. I haven't bought one in years, but I don't leave the property to hunt. That and I can hunt on my parents property without a license.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Boy color me red, Was about to go out and reduce the squirrel population yesterday. Then at the door the light came on and I have not bought my base License or any other yet.

We used to be able to freely hunt our own land for small game for most of my life time.
Then 8 years ago it became a law we had to buy a small game (base) License.
So I have to wait till I can get to a store today that sells them before the squirrels give up there meat for consumtion.

Yeah, that is not good!

·
Registered
309 Posts
JohnA: Sir; I took a friend squirreling:). (He's an excellent shot)
.17hmr. I explained a number of times. Head shots only
He got excited; poor squirrel was disemboweled beyond human consumption
Needless for me to ever say more :)
LOL, it happens! It was really nice of you to take him squirrel hunting. It will also make him a better hunter.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bit the bullet yesterday.
An annual base license is required for every resident or nonresident who hunts in Michigan, unless otherwise noted. The base license allows hunters to hunt small game and to purchase additional hunting licenses.
Senior $5.00

DEER COMBO
Senior (65+, Michigan residents only)- $8.00 single buck
Senior (65+, Michigan residents only) - $28 (two deer licenses: $8 regular, $20 restricted)

This allows you two buck deer one must have 4 points on one side. the other must have spikes 3" or longer to be legal..

Since I will be firearm deer hunting I bought the single senior deer and the $5.00 Base.

Now the squirrels are in danger.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts