Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Bit the bullet yesterday.
An annual base license is required for every resident or nonresident who hunts in Michigan, unless otherwise noted. The base license allows hunters to hunt small game and to purchase additional hunting licenses.
Senior $5.00

DEER COMBO
Senior (65+, Michigan residents only)- $8.00 single buck
Senior (65+, Michigan residents only) - $28 (two deer licenses: $8 regular, $20 restricted)

This allows you two buck deer one must have 4 points on one side. the other must have spikes 3" or longer to be legal..

Since I will be firearm deer hunting I bought the single senior deer and the $5.00 Base.

Now the squirrels are in danger.

:D Al
Yeah on that, Al!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
It must be nice to have squirrels sit up & pose for you to take a headshot. There must not be much hunting pressure in the woods you hunt.
Down here the squirrel are so fast you have a hard time taking them with a shotgun. They don't stop at all from one hiding spot to the other & they like to stay in the tops of the trees, almost never on the ground.

·
Registered
309 Posts
It must be nice to have squirrels sit up & pose for you to take a headshot. There must not be much hunting pressure in the woods you hunt.
Down here the squirrel are so fast you have a hard time taking them with a shotgun. They don't stop at all from one hiding spot to the other & they like to stay in the tops of the trees, almost never on the ground.
Those must be gray squirrels. I hunted those in Kentucky and they were usually hunted with shotguns.

I hunt fox and grays here in Iowa. The grays move most of the time and are a real challenge because I hunt with rifles and pistols.

Grays and fox squirrels taste the same, and town squirrels taste the same as their county cousins. I have been asked a lot if they taste different.

I am off work for 11 days, starting today. Because of work schedule and rain, I have been unable to hunt. I intend to make up for lost time.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Ive shot so many squirrel on my property i dont see them as often. They scared, very Scared. I come out the door and the Squirrel say oh, S*** RUN! ! !

·
Registered
309 Posts
I finally made it out hunting and saw only one, a fox squirrel. He would ended up a redhead but my .17 WSM 20gr bullet removed his head.

It was funny, that dummy was sitting on a bare limb eating his lunch and we spotted each other at the same time at a distance of only about 75 - 100 yards. He froze, figuring he would be safe holding still. Broadside still head shots are fun. The bullet blew him 6 feet or so from the tree.

A .17 WSM may seem a tad overkill for some hunters but for me is the perfect rifle. If I tried to sneak to within normal .22 range, the squirrel would have ran.

·
Registered
309 Posts
332577_296460433726846_1593892019_o.jpg
A couple of my Iowa squirrels when I used to use my .17 HMR. The gray squirrel on the right is full grown, so you can see how big some of our fox squirrels can get.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts