close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Big Bore Pump

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, May 11, 2002.

Whadaya think?

1. If you build it, we will come...

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Maybe for some people, but not me.

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Death to pumps! Lever actions rule!!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. You\'re on crack, BattleRifleG3. Now would you quit it with these stupid polls? Get a girlfriend o

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Am I the only person who thinks a pump action in 45-70 or other big bores would be a neat idea?

I know a guy who hunted his whole life with lever action 308s, but recently got a Rem 7400 because of his arthritis. I'm not a lever guy myself, and wish some of the classic lever action cartridges came in a pump.

2. I have seen these new AK look alikes in 308 and wanted to try one, but haveing a lever gun in 45long colt and one in 45-70 I would love to try one in a pump.
    maybe something like the rossi 22 I had when I was a kid that would be cool.

3. BattleRifleG3

Hmm, that's an idea. I was thinking more like a Rem 7400 type with a box mag, but tube fed seems reasonable too.

4. squirrelsniper

squirrelsniper G&G Newbie

As soon as I saw "Big Bore Pump" I thought " hey, a pump with a faily short barrel chambered in 45/70 or 450 Marlin would be ideal in bear country because I could cycle it much faster than a lever gun if I needed to." Just watch out for making one that allows the shooter to hold the trigger and pump the action and fire at a semi-auto like rate; fun, until the pain sets in.:rolleyes:

5. BattleRifleG3

That was my thought too, a fast handling rapid reloading bear gun. No loops to stick your fingers through, just back and forward. everything good about a shotgun in a caliber that works on bear. Actually, I just had a wild idea... Designing a cartridge that is dimensionally similar to a 410... Yeah there's the 45 Colt, but what about a full length rifle cartridge that a 410 could be used in? You'd get rifle and shotgun in one. You'd just have to deal with the wierdness of shot in a rifled barrel.

6. azeeb

azeeb G&G Newbie

I think I saw a revolver one time that was designed to take either 410 shells or something else. I don't recall what the something else was though. I'll try to find the article I read about it.

7. BattleRifleG3

I've seen them, it takes 45 Colt or 410. It's designated 45 Colt for legal purposes, since something designed primarily for shotgun ammo would be an AOW or sawed off under the NFA.
    What I'm talking about is a full length metallic cartridge with a high power rifle load.

8. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    Um, apparently my post last night didn't stick around, but I can't vote again, so that stuck???. Well, anyways...

I'll stick with my theory of..Pumps are for shotguns, and bolt actions are for rifles. Then again though, sometimes after thinking about wierd guns like this for awhile, they seem alittle bit more intriguing.

-Tim

9. azeeb

azeeb G&G Newbie

I don't think shooting birdshot out a rifled barrel would be a good idea. It would tear the heck out of the rifling. Just having a big bore pump action rifle sounds kind of nifty though.

10. MarkII 22

MarkII 22 G&G Newbie

What happend to the remington thay have a 30.06 pump don't thay or is that not consederd a big bore.

11. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Colt used to make the Colt Lightning in the big cals. maybe some one could persuade Uberto(sp) in Italy to recreate it??? they been doing a bang up(pun intended) job on Colt SAA and Winchester reproductions for years.:nod: :nod: :nod: :D

12. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Shoot guys, I think my 30-30 Model 94 sux to shoot several times in a row! Not to mention a 45-70 Gov't!