close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Big boy 357?

Discussion in 'Henry' started by Catfish Billy, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy G&G Regular

IL
    Had a 22 lever Henry a while back and traded it off, been thinking that I might add the big boy to the family.
    Any thoughts on it? Quality as good as in the 22s?

I've never seen the big boy in stores so ill have to special order it.. And I really doubt ill be disappointed but, you never know!

2. Tack Driver

Tack Driver G&G Evangelist

It's a Henry, so you know it's gonna be top notch quality with that silky smooth action. I'd love to have one in .357 or .44 Mag, I'd say go for it! You won't be disappointed... Btw welcome to Gun & Game! Hope you enjoy the forum, lots of great folks here

3. BigCaneSwift

BigCaneSwift G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

buy it, BIL has a big boy in 45 colt very good lever gun

4. The rifle itself will not disappoint you in any way

Henry rifles have a reputation for quality across the complete product line.

However, I advise you to do some study on the ballistics of the .357 in a rifle. There are some people who anticipate performance that cannot be obtained.

5. Re: Big Boy in 38/357

I'm just a little biased. I have 5 38/357 Big Boys, then add the three Henry 22's. I need to mention that at one time I had three Rossis.
    Then I found myself in need of a part for one of the Rossis.
    Four days later, I gave up as I could not get in touch with Rossi and made the part myself.
    I sold one of the Rossis in SS and I still have the other two.
    Now to why Henry? I sent an email to the Henry CEO and he replied back to me that day.

[​IMG]\
    This picture does not show all of the Henrys.

6. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    The Henry is a good product.

Sent from my RCT6378W2 using Tapatalk

7. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Welcome to G&G!

I agree!

I sold all my Rossi/Puma lever guns.

The Henry rifles are excellent quality, AND they care about their customers.

8. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy G&G Regular

IL

Well I'm more than a little envious of your collection to put it civilly, lol.

And I whole heartedly agree that Henry's customer service is top notch.

I had a bent carrier screw. I called customer service, they said it should be in within a week, and I really hope so. Haven't shot it since Christmas due to poor Illinois weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. i got that guy on the phone
    answered my question and gave me the part i wanted free

10. deadzero

deadzero G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

One day I'm going to have one of them Big Boy rifles in 38/357. Everytime I manage to get some money together to order one, my wholesalers are out of stock. and something always comes up, that I have to dig into that fund before they can be found.

I have a huge amount of 38 special brass that I've picked up over the years that I hardly ever use. When I load for that pistol I'll do .357 to get more bang for my buck. (.38's are great for teaching beginners to shoot revolver)

I decided to crunch some numbers one day and found by casting my own lead bullet, the 38 special would be the cheapest to shoot of everything I load for, even beating the .45 because of the lower projectile weight (less lead used). Thats when I made up my mind to get the Big Boy.

I already have the Golden Boy in .22lr, but if the cost of what I'm seeing other stores charging for .22lr doesn't settle down, loading the .38 special with cast bullets may end up cheaper than shooting .22lr.

The Henry rifles are exceptional in fit and finish, and cycle like a fine tuned piece of machinery. They have the feel of craftmanship, that in itself, is almost impossible to find anymore.

If you have a desire to own one, and you can find one, you will not be disappointed in the slightest by owning one.
    I say "go for it!"

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  11. Deep13

Deep13 G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    They look really nice. They're a bit front heavy because of the octagonal barrel, compared to a non-cowboy Marlin 1894c. The action is very smooth as others have stated. The only thing I really do not like about them is the rimfire-esque loading gate on the magazine tube near the muzzle. I greatly prefer the loading gate at the breach like on the Marlin and Winchester models.

12. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Who needs a .357 mag rifle?

[​IMG]

And yes, I really have that barrel for my Dan Wesson, along with 5 others.

13. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

But....... thread highjack. We are talking Henry rifles here, and they are cheaper than that long-nosed hawgleg.
    I had the basic H001 .22LR rifle, loved it. It went to the range a lot more often than the vintage Marlin M39A, and shot just as well and was more reliable.
    Sadly I traded my beloved little Henry to a buddy for a part payment on a hunting rifle. Silly me.......
    I finally broke down and bought the Henry Golden Boy .22LR and love it! A good deal heftier than the little H001, but still out shoots the old Marlin. And it's mighty purdy in that Brasslite finish. :cool: