big-city life is bad for raising children

Discussion in 'Political/Religious Topics' started by d_p_holland, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Often in those climates, youngsters are raised in such concrete jungles to believe guns and hunting are "bad". The city is bad for the human soul and the human character. It brings out the very worst in all of us.

Being raised next to mother nature's country is much more wholesome. The birds, the bees, the clover, the trees, hills and dales, rivers and brooks, mountains and streams, deserts and woods, canyons, cliffs and valleys, horses and cows and big backyards with puppy dogs is the life. Crime, drugs, congestion, traffic, concrete, corruption, jackhammers, machine noise, urban sprawl, graffiti and pollution are pure madness. Mountain air or rolling green hills with grazing cows is pure sanity.

Homo sapiens is a ground-dweller by nature. No man-made building should ever exceed one story in height. Man's numbers on earth should never be so great that big cities are necessary or multi-story homes are necessary.

I grew up in the hilly semi-rural suburbs myself.

A classic Boomer American Mayberry or Leave-It-To-Beaver setting. Boys played with guns and dressed up like cowboys and Indians. Girls wore dresses and had pajama and tea parties. Dairy farms and forests and rolling hills crawling with black/white Holstein cows and red/white Hereford beef cattle were close by. There were farm animals in my neighborhood. Horses, cows, sheep, goats, ducks, chickens and such. Mother Nature was always a bicycle ride or a 10-minute hike away from my front door.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    ItstheHOFF likes this.
  2. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf G&G Evangelist

Phoenix
    Cities were not like that in my youth.
    Cities had jobs, culture, museums, zoos, art galleries, aquariums, planetariums. Colleges, universities, and vocational schools where you could go to learn how to earn a good wage.

Unfortunately, that was the past.
    Now, I pity folks stuck in big cities, especially if it's run by democrats.

jerry and ncnascarlady like this.

3. Still I like to sit on my front porch and look at mother nature. Yes, cities are sometimes necessary for people to work in, get educated in and get various services. Yes, they are fun to visit once in a blue moon but I don't care to live in one. The suburbs and small towns (where there is a nature trail nearby) are much better for living than concrete jungles still.

Gray Wolf and 410dude like this.
  4. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

I grew up in a city, but just barely inside the city limits. My dad told me that when he built the house (literally built with his two hands & with some help from his brother), it was outside the city limit.

Woods & a creek close by & my dad took me fishing & hunting so I had the benefit of both worlds. Too many kids, these days, don't have that. One reason is that when I was a kid, you could drive to a lake/river, pull up & go fishing. You could do the same for hunting, as long as you had respect for your surroundings & safety of folks that may live in the area. Now, seems you can't do that. Places we used to camp out in are all built up & taken over by people that want $$ to set foot on their property. You have to buy a hunting lease, rent a spot to put up your tent, etc.

'Course, my dad wasn't one to just go out somewhere & target practice, so many of you folks have an edge on me in that regard. :( I didn't get into "target practice" until I got my carry license & retired!

ItstheHOFF, jerry and 410dude like this.
  5. I grew up in a smaller bedroom community to several cities. 1 was a business and college city (New Haven), one was a blue collar factory city (Waterbury) and the state capital. For all of that there was still plenty of room for me to get out into the woods.

Between woods, open spaces, farms and orchards, I could roam for hours and miles, enjoying the peace and quiet.

Gray Wolf and jerry like this.
  6. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    I grew up in the south end of Peoria IL. Learned how to fight,Love, fish, hunt. Dad got me out of the hood as much as possible. In the interim, I learned to be hard and street smart. I truly believe the combination of life skills I learned growing up hood / country , is the reason I’m typing this today.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

7. I grew up in no "hood" but in a middle-class suburban community with dairy-farm green rolling hills nearby of which the majority there were proper-English-speaking American citizens of western European and/or British descent in Novato, northern CA. Watch Leave-It-To-Beaver. That was my boyhood setting and demographic. CA was good when pre-Pete Wilson GOP governors (George Deukmejian and Ronald W. Reagan) ruled there. The most hated CA things at that time were the CHP and the bureaucracy of the DMV because CA was once a land of expensive/fast automobiles and slick crotch-rocket motorcycles and enthusiasts of such speedy sporty vehicles hated the ticket-happy CHP. Many CA city cops were also ticket-happy. If you drove a pony car (Camaro/Firebird/Mustang) in CA, watch out! The police often were more tolerant of speedy Corvettes because they were perceived to be driven by older men. People, again the enthusiastic motorists, also complained about CA emissions/state SMOG Checks even in the 1980's. Nobody then, though, complained about lack of good-paying middle-class jobs or of a high cost of living still. CA was still good when people of western European descent ran banks, real estate, hotels, cab companies and big business there. Jobs were plenty and cost of living still reasonable. CA was never really highly pro-gun or pro-hunting but it was still doable for hunting and gun ownership before the Democratic Left took over completely. That hostile anti-gun CA attitude trend started in the 1990's and coincided with the Clinton administration. In the 1980's, you could get an AS at one of CA's CC's and get into a good middle-income career. No more. California is a state of pristine natural beauty but horrific politics and an impossible cost of living for the working class. Lack of sound immigration policy decimated CA and much of America.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020