Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i'm more or less new to the whole big game hunts mainly whitetail and hogs. This past weekend I shot 2 does from maybe a little under 40 yards away out of my tree tand and both of the shots were cartarized and didnt leave much blood to trail
So im looking for a ruger centerifre maybe up to $250-$300? SOmething that i can take bigger game with without putting a hole straight through them and not being able to find them?So yeah a rifle preferrably a cheaper .308 or a little smaller caliber of any make would be great

:feedback:

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
A used one from an individual, pawn shop or gun shop would probably be the only chance for the amount you want to spend. Hope you find what you want.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Another thought

Look, if you are hitting at 40 yards I truly think you should consider a 20 gauge rifled slug gun. I have a 20 gauge Rossi and I will tell you at 50 yards it just puts one big hole in the target with the sights (no scope). I plan to scope it this summer with a feeling of confidence it will drill the target at 75 and 100 yards. The Rossi is well within your price range.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
Look, if you are hitting at 40 yards I truly think you should consider a 20 gauge rifled slug gun. I have a 20 gauge Rossi and I will tell you at 50 yards it just puts one big hole in the target with the sights (no scope). I plan to scope it this summer with a feeling of confidence it will drill the target at 75 and 100 yards. The Rossi is well within your price range.
Thats funny, I could've swore he was asking about a centerfire rifle

Momoney, you should look into the Savage or Stevens brand of bolt action rifles, as they are within your price range, and they are excellent rifles for the money.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
I looked at a very good looking rifle this e-nin at Walmart and it was a Mossberg 100 ATR Boltaction, Black synthetic stock and matte finish iron.
It was nice !!! 270 caliber and was only $289.xx Thats just what you need and they come in a few more calibers at that price...A.H

Go to Mossbergs website and check them out, you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Nathangdad replies: He also has an objective of not putting a hole through something and have it move off. A .308 can and will do this at 40 yards.
A 20 gauge slug, by the way, does have centerfire ignition. He wants to put down hogs. A Remington buckhammer slug will transfer a great amount of energy
and hydrostatic shock to a hog. I do not back away from my post. I feel the readers and posters to this site have the desire to explore options and I, for one, appreciate their range of experience and intellect.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
Great suggestion, AH! I forgot all about the Mossbergs

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Slugs have too limited range to be very accurate compared to a Good High power rifle. Bullets, bullet weight, bullet Configuration, bullet velocity, and shot placement have more to do with instant kills than anything, but the variable is the Animal and its will to live...For a combination Deer and Hog rifle Caliber, it would be either a 45-70,or a 30/06. I have hunted both , best results were with these 2 calibers...
Rich

·
Registered
949 Posts
I own sevral rugers and rifle hunt with them almost exclusively. I am sure you will not find an new one for the price you are looking at. And if you find one in a pawn shop for that price range, in the caliber area you are thining, I would be very careful and really look it over good. go with AH and look into the mossberg or savage line they are good guns for the price. As for pass through shots consider your choice of bullet carfully as well as shot placement. I use my m77 mkII in 300 win mag for almost all my big game hunting and over the past many years it has killed lots of mulies, elk and a few bears. all at ranges of about 30 yards to farther then I will mention here. I have seen only one pass through with that rifle and it was this year when my son shot his deer in the neck about 3 inches below the head (a place I seldom aim for) from under 50 yards. I am with mooseman and would avoid a slug gun. where I live it wouldnt even be a consideration and it can limit your options. in my oppinion the 30.06 is a fine caliber, as far as smaller consider a 270 or even a 243 it is a fine deer caliber especially in the ranges you are thinking of(dont know how a 243 would do with hogs as the only ones i have ever shot have been with the 22 in the yard just before the butcher loaded them up and took them away) anyway just my 2 cents

·
Wonderment :)
33,588 Posts
caliber

Momoney567: Sir; stating the obvious; shot placement; bullet type
Give considerations to where you live where you shoot where you spend the most time finding ammo.
.270 caliber about any country store around here
.308 same
.280 gotta look or go to 'gun store'
.357 about any country store
About any caliber is capable of taking out the 'thin' skin animal. Hog a little tougher.
Which caliber you pick; pick a bullet that has expansion qualities.
.270 is a necked down .308

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Nathangdad replies: He also has an objective of not putting a hole through something and have it move off. A .308 can and will do this at 40 yards.
A 20 gauge slug, by the way, does have centerfire ignition. He wants to put down hogs. A Remington buckhammer slug will transfer a great amount of energy
and hydrostatic shock to a hog. I do not back away from my post. I feel the readers and posters to this site have the desire to explore options and I, for one, appreciate their range of experience and intellect.
I feel the readers have the right to know what they would be getting into when thinking about .20ga slugs for deer.A .20 ga.can be used within its limits. First 50yds would be about the limit in power range for foster type slugs in .20ga.You mention Rem.Buckhammer slugs.They cost $1200 and up for 5rds and increase the range moderately.They can be used in a rifled barrel or rifled choke only.This adds to the price of the firearm considerably.I have tryed rifled chokes and had limited accuracy and split one barrel,probably because the choke is right hand thread and the riflings are clockwise and the choke unscrewed.But the biggest drawback is at up to $3.00 a shot for slugs it doesnt lead to extensive practice to know what you can do with them.Indeed you show limited knowledge in what you are giving as knowledge and standing behind.Post some facts and verifications for your sugestions. sam.

·
Registered
606 Posts
The slugs cost $1200? Do you mean like $12? I agree with u sam, whats the point in buying a limited range rifle that costs more to shoot than a 308, or other cal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts