Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the last few days I was hunting on a friend's lease. one evening on a stand, I shot this ugly mangy coyote.
while we were riding his swamp buggy, two big hogs ran across the trail. the first one made it to safety but we both pulled the triggers at the same time on this monster bar hog. one of our bullets hit the vitals and the other broke his back legs. not sure who's bullet was where but both contributed to "getting" this hog. even though I was using a .30/06 and he had a .308 Win., we also lost (and found later thanks to the buzzards) a couple of other big hogs that were still able to run after being hit with almost the same chest shot as this one. none of them left much of a blood trail. this big bar hog couldn't go anywhere with broken back legs and dropped in the ditch beside the trail. he weighed 334 lbs.
here are some random pictures of does and wood ducks eating at a feeder.
this is a pic of a bunch of spider webs reflecting the morning sun across a marsh.

Registered
Yes sir, that's a pretty big hog you all got...
About the mangy coyote, I've seen domestic dogs with Sarcoptic Mange and/or Demodectic Mange that look that bad or even worse. It's getting more and more common for many shelters and rescues to treat them now instead of putting them down. Most of them make a miraculous recovery where it's basically impossible to ascertain that they looked that pitiful. Of course wild predators wouldn't be candidates for that and are likely to be dispatched even if they aren't mangy due to their love of chicken or the family cat or dog...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chupacabra is what I also thought when I got a closer look at him! but it really is a coyote. that is only the second coyote I have ever killed and the first one (shot in Da U.P. of Mich.) was also full of mange. someday I'll luck into one with a good pelt.
Mauser9, a bar hog is just a feral boar hog that had been casterated when trapped or caught by dogs when it was a piglet. some trappers & houndsmen do this so the hog can't reproduce and is much better eating when re-caught or shot. they also split the ear or cut off the tail to mark them as bars. that way when a sounder of hogs come in, the hunter can tell which one to shoot.

Registered
I don't know how the poor thing survived the skeeters & deer flies with no fur to protect him.
That's a fact blaster, being without a coat of hair to protect him from skeeter bites he could also be full of heart worms since infected mosquitos are how they are transmitted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.