Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well guys my hard work finally paid off. My archery season started out terrribly slow passing up on a few smaller deer. Monday the season opener for rifle came around and could be happier until i opened the door and it was pouring rain. It rained all day and i didnt see a single deer in shooting range and i didnt hear that many shots, infact it was a record low first day. I couldent get out the rest of the week because school and work filled up my scedule. Friday came around and i was pumped up for saturday morning i got all my stuff ready and went to bed. Saturday mornin did not start how i wanted it to and i was ina bad mood. My brother would not get out of bed after waking him 4 times i nearly flipped. By the time i got him and my dad up and into the truck i didnt have time for breakfast. i sped the whole way to our hunting area. By the time we parked the truck it was starting to get light out, i grabbed my gear and hustled to where i planned to sit all morning. After 4 hours all i saw was a few squirrels and alot of leaves. All i heard were the squirrels, a few shots and my stomach growling. My dad called me and said that a few hunters kicked up 7 deer and they headed up the mountain and asked if i wanted to head up after them. I said yes if we can go get some breakfast after. He told me he was going to start walking my way. Not 2 minutes after i hung up the phone and starting stuffing my gear into my pack i heard some rustling behind me, figuring it was just another squirrel i just turned around. All i saw was a huge white rack shining off the sun:bigeyes:. I almost choked i saw the rack was a shooter buck and i never looked at it again. i was bent over putting stuff into my pack and my .50cal inline muzzleloader was across my lap. i slowly sat up and turned my gun over. as i did that he stuck his head up in the air like he smelled something. He took two steps and did it again then look into my direction. He turned and was about to run so i swung my gun up pulled the hammer back and pointed into the laned i thought he was going to cross by the time he got there he was into a full sprint i saw him in my scope and the next thing i know there smoke everywhere and im trying to blow it away to see which way he ran i mean i know it wasnt gonna do ne thing but hey i was excited. I dont think ive ever loaded a muzzle loader so fast in my life. right after i got done loading i see another hunter walking up the trail looking into the woods all i was thinking was this guys gonna try to shoot my deer. I was wrong tho he was very nice and he actually helped me track it. for the first 20 yards we were just tracking him on his footsteps i wasnt feeling very confident and wondered if i had missed. Then we found a pinsized drop of blood and marked the area 5 yards away there was a tree that looked like somebody took red paint and went all over the tree i was feeling alot better and started to get the shakes again. we followed the trail for another 30 yards or so and then we heard movemeant ahead. i pulled the hammer back and was ready for another shot. My phone started vibrating and i opened it but i left it at my side but from the phone and from ahead of my i heard "Ry...Ry you there bud" i loved over the bush and i saw my dad and my brother about 20 yards away i put the phone to my ear and i said hey he goes Ryan u shot a monster its up here. I hung the phone up and started running up the steep slope gettin caught in all types of bushes prickers and trees. When i got up to my dad and my brother i could not believe the size of this buck. i ran to my dad and just gave him a huge hug i then thanked the gentleman that helped me track the deer. i was so excited. The drag was a tough one it was downhill at first but the brush was soo thick it took forever. we got him into a clearing and i dressed him out. we got some pics and prepared for the long drag back to the truck. it was only about 3/4 of a mile but it felt like 10. Later we figured out that he had a estimated live weight of 200lbs. He had an inside spread of 19.5 inches and his main beams were 20 inches. He ended up scoring 135 and i couldent be happier. Hes at the taxidermist now getting mounted. This is definately a hunt i will never forget.

Attachments

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,601 Posts
Congrats young man!

I do have to admit, I'll do the reading over a cup of coffee tomorrow. Bed time now.

Best,
Jerry

·
Registered
271 Posts
Congradulations, looks like a very nice buck. Wish my family hunted. You have something special there. I don't even take my phone in the woods with me, lol.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
rdnckhnter...I enjoyed reading every word of your deer hunting experience. That was well written and full of the details I enjoyed viewing in my mental image of your hunt.

Yes, the work begins when the trigger's pulled. Nice job of staying cool when you heard "squirrel sounds." Sort of happened like that with me last season, too. I thought my buddy was walking in on me in leaves, etc. but when I turned it was a huge deer.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks alot oxford i just got so into writing the story just as i remembered it i didnt even noticed i had written so much. But it was a great hunt and ill never forget it.
thanks again

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Way to go! That's a beautiful deer. There's a similar-looking one at the processor that I use-shot by a 9-10 yr. old boy!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
nice looking deer. and it is something special to have family to hunt with. i loved to go with my dad until he got too sick to go. now i hunt by myself cause none of my friends hunt.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
feller you mind if I come over and you touch me !! I ain't had a bit of luck Deer hunting and have just about lost interest.
I've seen more Does and you can't shoot Bucks than I ever seen where I hunt.
WE've had Bucks or Had Bucks as you have pictured but there not to be found yet anyway.
CONGRADULATIONS and I hope you mount that feller cause he is a Dandy.
I bet you couldn't quit smileing after you shot that bugger. :)...A.H

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks alot guys i really appreciate it and yes it will be mounted and ill be sure to throw some pics up of when i get it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
That's a beautiful buck you got redneckhunter. I wish you could push some of them big bucks down my way. Awesome

1 - 19 of 19 Posts