Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am new here. This is what is going on. My Dad is planning to buy a Mosin Nagant 91/30 or M44 (if they have it) from Big5. What should we look for to buy a good quality Mosin? Such as barrel, bolt, etc. Rusted barrel? And this will be his first time buying it from Big5, so will there be any paperwork to sign? Background check? And by the way, we live in Sacramento, California.

Thanks.

P.S. In the weekend ads, they mostly show 91/30's on sale for around 90 dollars. I don't see much M44's lately. I hope they have some.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just bought a m44 at big 5 in tracy,ca. they only had m44's.In livermore they are selling 91/30 this week for 90$. I had to do paper work and get my rifle this friday.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Welcome to G&G! Look for a good bore with plenty of rifling. Try to pick one with matching serial numbers on the barrel, bolt, magazine and butt plate. Look for a hex receiver as opposed to round. Make sure the bolt cycles properly. Good Luck! Let us know what you get, and any questions you might have.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,366 Posts
What SwedeSteve said. I would also stay away from the WWII-era ones if possible. The metal is fine but the machining isn't always what you want it to be in a firearm. The Soviets were cranking them out any old how, just to arm their troops after the Nazis invaded the Motherland and the SVT-40 they had wanted to replace the Mosin-Nagant with didn't work out as they'd expected it to.

If you have one, bring a borelight so you can look down the barrel and get an idea of the condition. If you don't bring a small mirror to reflect light down the bore. Work the bolt and see how easily it works. Working hard is not necessarily a down-check, but it can be a sign that there are headspacing issues.

My personal preference is for the 91/30 as opposed to the M44. I just dislike the side-mounted bayonet. If you are looking for a hunting arm, hope for a M38 and take a 91/30. Go to the stickies at the top of the Mosin-Nagant Forum and learn how to tell which is which.

Try to get the store to throw in an accessory pack, too. The screwdriver especially will help you take down the rifle and check your headspacing. And having the right cleaning gear never hurts.

Be prepared to deal with cosmoline. There are plenty of threads in the Mosin forum that tell you how to get your new Russian girl ready to shoot.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your Mosin!

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Hello all, I am new here. This is what is going on. My Dad is planning to buy a Mosin Nagant 91/30 or M44 (if they have it) from Big5. What should we look for to buy a good quality Mosin? Such as barrel, bolt, etc. Rusted barrel? And this will be his first time buying it from Big5, so will there be any paperwork to sign? Background check? And by the way, we live in Sacramento, California.

Thanks.

P.S. In the weekend ads, they mostly show 91/30's on sale for around 90 dollars. I don't see much M44's lately. I hope they have some.
I have purchased two of my favoites (post war M44's) from Big 5. If you want a good shooter the post war M44's are a good bet (1946-1948). BRING A PENLIGHT... Look for good metal (good bluing coverage with only occasional paint). Try not to pay too much attention to the appearance of the stock, as you will probably want to strip and refinish. Again concentrate on the metal parts.

Check the bore for good rifling (most of the bores are fairly dirty but clean up well) Counter bored muzzles are ok. Make sure that the serial numbers match on the barrel, bolt, magazine and butt plate. Sometimes these will be stamped (preferred) or electro-pencilled.

Cycle the bolt a few times to make sure it is fairly smoothe. It's not uncommon for the bolt to be wiggly when open. Big 5 usually has several Mosins in the storage room and will generally bring them out. The display model is usually the one they are trying to get rid of (not always)

Open the magazine (release on the bottom) and check for rust. Also check for rust on the trigger assembly. Pull the bolt (depress the trigger while pulling back on the bolt) and check the barrel tang for rust. You may have to ask the sales person to remove the trigger lock to do this.

A little surface rust is to be expected. You are looking for heavy rust and pitting.

Be ready to clean, clean, clean. Then be ready for fun, fun, fun.

Yes you will have to fill out the standard Federal Firearms Questionair/firearms registration, and in the PRK you will have to wait 10 days for the background check. Here in AZ it takes about 20 minutes. If you have an 03-FFL (Collector of Currios and Relics License) you can order older battle rifles (MN's Mausers, etc) from anywhere in the U.S.

Welcome to the G&G Mosin Nagant forum. There is a ton of expertise here so ask away.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Though I don't own a Mossin Nagant rifle theres been many members here that have bought them from Big 5 and were very satisfied with the quaility of the one's this company sells.
Another company that is mentioned often here is Dick's, so if you have a Dick's LOL go check his out too...A.H

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
since you're not planning on getting it for a while anyway, look into getting a c&r license. it costs the same as the background check does and allows you to buy through mail order from other states and get better deals on guns and ammo. if i'm not mistaken, you can still get the gun locally with it (if you really have to see it in person before you buy) without paying for the background check but you'll still have a ten day wait. the gun i just got from big 5 on the s.f. peninsula was imported by century. if i had my c&r at the time, i could have got it in three days for $59.95 instead of $75 plus tax and a three week wait. (dept. of justice screw-up) i'm not really planning on getting another mosin at the moment (yeah right!) but i'm sending the c&r application in for when the time comes. there's also hundreds of other nice guns out there for holders of the c&r. i just can't see any reason not to have on if you live in the peoples republik of kalifornia these days.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Though I don't own a Mossin Nagant rifle theres been many members here that have bought them from Big 5 and were very satisfied with the quaility of the one's this company sells.
Another company that is mentioned often here is Dick's, so if you have a Dick's LOL go check his out too...A.H
We have a new Dick's Sporting Goods over in Ahwatukee, but not a Mosin Nagant in the place. Mainly shotguns. Maybe the other new one being built in Gilbert will carry them. On the other hand we have about 10 Big 5's here, and there is always J&G up the street in Prescott.

So you are Mosinless... whyfer?

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Geo I don't know why I haven't got one yet...I bought a 20ga pump shotgun 3 weeks or so ago to see what it looked like LOL...LOL and I could of bought 2 Mossins for what I paid for the shotgun I sure didn't need.

I also bought a 22 rim fire 6 weeks ago I didn't really need it because I already have plenty of them, but I wanted to buy it to match the 22 magnum I bought 4 months ago. LOL

So I figger what I paid for the 22's and the 20g. shotgun I could be the proud owner of may be 6 Mossin nagant rifles ?
Hummm I ain't right am I ?

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
At the current prices I wouldn't wait!!!!! They are only going to go up!!! I would go get it now, and spend some time shooting it and getting good with it.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Yah AH, sometimes we get sidetracked. I have my eye on a bolt action Ruger .204 that will cost as much (or more) as the second Finn B barrel I have my eye on. The .204 will always be there.

Looks like the Finn B wins... hopeuflly still available in May when I get some more of my hard earned taxes back.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
no!!

Geo I don't know why I haven't got one yet...I bought a 20ga pump shotgun 3 weeks or so ago to see what it looked like LOL...LOL and I could of bought 2 Mossins for what I paid for the shotgun I sure didn't need.

I also bought a 22 rim fire 6 weeks ago I didn't really need it because I already have plenty of them, but I wanted to buy it to match the 22 magnum I bought 4 months ago. LOL

So I figger what I paid for the 22's and the 20g. shotgun I could be the proud owner of may be 6 Mossin nagant rifles ?
Hummm I ain't right am I ?
LOL AH your just like the rest of us !! no you aint right :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bought my Mosin M44 (1946) at my local Big 5 about a month ago. As mentioned, the stock looked worn, but not nearly as worn as many others I have seen. EVerything else was/is pristine. I am still shocked that I picked up such an accurate, powerful rifle for mere $75.00. THe cosmoline is indeed everywhere on these things, but after I spent a few days cleaning the bolt and metal pieces, I have not experienced any type of sticky bolt OR cosmoline issues after firing over 200 rounds of both heavy ball and light ball through it.
The bayonet on the M44, as I have come to discover, has many uses. FOr example, since I shoot in the desert, I always walk with the bayonet extended to stab at snakes or other nasty critters I may happen upon. It's also usefull for being a good neighbor to mother nature and picking up trash and crap people leave laying around. However, its biggest use is for launching objects you have stabbed by firing your rifle :p
-Thepurplem0nkey

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
"However, its biggest use is for launching objects you have stabbed by firing your rifle"

That's pretty dangerous!!!!!! I wouldn't recommend it. You're looking for an accident.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was teasing, SwedeSteve. Althogh if anyone DOES launch stuff off of their bayonet and injure themselves....it just seems like natural selection in action to me :p Besides that, everyone knows that juggling loaded M44's is WAY MORE FUN than launchuing stuff off of them <<just kidding>>
-Thepurplem0nkey

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,366 Posts
But seriously. How many rounds does it take to heat up a precooked sausage or a chunk of kielbasa skewered down the long axis of an M44 bayonet to eating temperature? Inquiring minds want to know. Surely some happily insane owner of the fireball-shooting M44 has tried it!

·
Registered
72 Posts
LOL. I'm stating the obvious when I say that the internet is a terrible means of conveying sarcasm or humor :p

-Thepurplem0nkey

Cyrano, shame on you for putting these ideas in my head. Can I send you the medical bill when sizzling hot kielbasa lands in my eye? On that same note, I think you may have discovered the next non-letahl crowd deterant. Just fire some boiling hot sausage at crowds to disperse them....and to satisfy their hunger. We just found a new practical use for the M44!!!!
-Thepurplem0nkey

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Dang it... I don't have an m44 to get it properly cooked with, but I do have a 91/30 which will have a longer heating time, due to the lesser fireball. I'd totally be done with this "experiment" already from the other thread we were discussing it in if I had one. As you can see in the rollcall, I only have a 91/30 and 91/59's.

...I'd even taste it after shooting/heating. :bigeyes::throwup:

1 - 20 of 99 Posts