Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy and I met at the gunshow Saturday, and we both walked out with new additions to our collections.
He bought a Marlin .22 Model 60 for his oldest son - the boy's first rifle! Keith also bought a Highpoint Carbine in .40 cal - the camo model like my 9mm. I guess he kept seeing me having a blast with mine, and figured why should I have all the fun? Hehehe.

Anyway, while Keith was filling out the 4473, I was looking over the guns. The vendor was an older gentleman I bought several .22 rifles and my CETME from, and he has always done right by me. I saw what I thought were two Yugo SKS carbines, one with GL, and the nuetered 'California model'.
I looked closer at the 'Cal' gun - it was labeled as Chinese! A very dark stock, blade bayo, and other features marked it as what I think is the early "Sino-Soviet" model, basically the Russian design with Chinese markings! Score! For $225, it's a fantastic deal for down here! Well, there goes this month's milsurp ammo fund.
This gun is a military model, imported some time ago - it has the tiny CAI marking near the muzzle and very few other marks - a different situation than today! Also, construction is very different - all forged parts, the threaded barrel and ALL MATCHING NUMBERS! This gun came from a personal collection, and is not a recent import. It has been shot very little, and is in nearly new condition. A few small dings in the stock, nothing recent. It has the Vietnam Issue wire coil sling mounts too - I'd read of them, but had never seen them before.
I am one happy camper!
Didn't get to shoot it yet, so Im looking forward to that maybe next weekend.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Killer find there BigDog. Is the stock filled with cosmo?...I hate that stuff. Let us know how she shoots.
I'm still in the market for SKS parts-basicly the trigger assembly.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Great deal, I love'em too Dad has three I have one. Dad sporterized his and it is his deer gun. He has shot about 8 deer with his. He has one Russan that he has not shot yet, all are in good shape and shoot really well. I'm real pleased with them.

·
36,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, it gets even better! I checked the manufacture year list over on Gunboards.com, and this one is a 1956 model, the first year the Chinese were making them! The Russians were helping them gear up for it, and some of these guns even had Russian parts. The Russians left in 1957, and the spike bayonet replaced the blade in 1958. Cool!

Here's the pic of the cheapo Norinco on top, and the 'new' '56 model below it:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-1/93045/ChineseSKSCarbines_Norinco_Fac26.jpg

·
Registered
545 Posts
nice deal bigdog.. curious, how much does sks ammo run for your area? my gun shop wants $4 after tax for a box of 20 rounds, wolf.. im in colorado right now and just found the same stuff for 2.29 before tax.. that in the ballpark of your prices?

this should be my only night of internet untill saturdayish but other than that its a good trip.. i have enough explosives in the car to make me happy... 4 boxes sks ammo, a crate of mortar artillery shells *fireworks*, and a few other things :) dont suppose that will bring up a few odd questions if pulled over :D stupid people and their deals ya just cant say no to :)... and i still have days left before i leave.. guess im getting a trailer :D

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Big Dog said:
Anyway, while Keith was filling out the 4473,
You guys have to fill out forms at gunshows? Down here we don't have any "dealers" at shows. Just walk in pay your money and walk out with your new toy(s)

·
36,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, here it's no different than going to a store. Gotta do the paperwork! And for handguns, we still have the 'three working days waiting period'! A local shop keeps it during the waiting period, if the vendor isn't local.
Bummer, but it helps keep the GunGrabbers at bay. It's always a headscratcher when those idiots claim there's a 'gunshow loophole'! Not here, there ain't. :smash:
I buy my 7.62X39 by the case at the gunshows - usually about $100/1000 rounds - higher than mailorder, but without the shipping cost, it works out about even.
My last mailorder was $45/700 rounds, or somewhere thereabouts.

I just totally stripped the new gun down for a good cleaning. Glad I did - it was coated inside with a heavy preservative oil. The firing pin was really mucky - might have gone full rock&roll, it was so stiff! But the good thing is, weren't no rust! Hehehe.
The stock cleaned up nice too - had some age-darkened grunge on it. I think this one did see some field use before it's last refurb. But it still had only a few rounds fired since refurb.
I confirmed the presence of a Russky barrel too - it really is a Sino-Soviet model! Very cool - one of the Holy Grails of SKS collecting! :right:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts