close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bipod on my SKS

Discussion in 'SKS' started by ninwnc, Oct 26, 2014.

1. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Evangelist

Since the SKS is "front heavy" Nicholas has trouble keeping it stable when he shoots. Sooooo, I bought a bipod that attaches to the front sling swivel mount. But, the Tapco Intrafuse stock I bought doesn't have a sling swivel mount. Sooooo, I bought a pair at 1/2 and 3/4 inches, and drilled the stock and screwed in the 1/2 inch one, and attached the bipod. The 1/2inch stud does not touch the barrel. It is firm and steady. Nicholas rolled out his 4' x 6' "sniper mat" and after a little squirmin; and wigglen', gave it his approval.

The bipod is a Caldwell XLA 6" to 9" and the sling swivel studs are Uncle Mike's 2520-0, in case some one else wants to do this. I ordered them from Midway USA. I'll post photos in a day or so.

Nick

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I'll be interested to know if y'all get the typical vertical movement of POI that a barrel mounted bipod usually causes?

3. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Evangelist

Big Dog: I'll let you know once we take it to the range.

4. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Evangelist

sks bi 1.JPG sks bi 3.JPG Here are a couple of photos of the bipod mounted to the SKS. The bipod extends 6 to 9 inches. I'm not very good with these digital cameras. Please excuse the messy loading bench.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    SKS NOOB and GSFixit like this.
  5. Big Dog

AH! NOT a barrel mounted unit. Should be good and solid then!

6. SKS NOOB

SKS NOOB G&G Evangelist

I know that the Yugo SKS barrel is a lot more "beefy" so I don't think a bipod mounted on the bayonet lug is going to hurt the accuracy much if at all. Just my opinion.

7. Big Dog

The Yugo barrel is no more 'beefy' than others, it just has more hardware attached. The stock is certainly heavier, giving it greater overall heft.

8. GSFixit

GSFixit Curmudgeon In Training

PA
    I don't worry about the extra weight of the bipod. I have bipods on my rifles so I can use them since I can't hold a rifle steady enough to shoot off hand.

I like the look of how you mounted it forward. I find it helps me with my steadiness to have my bipods as far forward as possible. That way, movement of the stock as I aim translates to very little movement to the point of aim.

9. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Evangelist

I mounted it forward because the stock seemed thicker there, and I thought it would give more clearance between the barrel and the end of the swivel stud.

Nick