Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i no know this has been ask more then a few time. but here i go again. i have a wireless trial camera that send the pix to my phone so i see the pictures within in minutes of them being taken. recently i have been getting a lot of pix of a big sow with to big cubs. that i plan on hunting this fall the sow the cubs look to be old enough be along,,pictures to follow. from my shooting point the shoots should be around 85-125 yards
so for this hunting of Eastern PA black bears
Guns on hand for the job 243win with 100gr interlocks bullets pushing 2850fps
257 Roberts 117gr interlocks pushing 2900fps
260 rem 140SGK pushing 2700fps
270 win 140sgk pushing 2850
308win 165 sgk pushing 2650
300wm 180 nosler partion pushing 3000
all the rifle are bolt action but the 308 win is a pump

what would you guys choose

· Registered
5,870 Posts
308 Win - just a personal favorite of mine.
The other calibers will also kill a bear pretty efficiently.

I would say to use the one that you can shoot the most accurately, but you won't have any particularly long shots to make. So maybe you need to choose the one(s) that you have good hunting ammo for?

The 300WinMag would do very well , but I think it's a lot more than you need - unless they grow to 800 lbs over the summer. And these days (meaning that I've gotten older), I prefer to shoot guns that are a little more comfortable.
But, as always, YMMV.

· Registered
1,019 Posts
Bears can be tough, a lot tougher than people realize. Wouldn't advise worrying about "style points" when your life could be on the line (especially when cubs present). 308 pump at that close range, but 300 WM if further. And please, never shoot a sow with cubs regardless how large, that's unethical and can await separation.

· Registered
12,742 Posts
you shoot any of those around here and you better be using the cheapest peace of crap gun you own,, or don't want to own for much longer as the case may be.

any of the ones on your list will work.

· Premium Member
6,833 Posts
I'll second the 270 choice. 260 would be good too. I'd stay away from partitions and bonded bullets and such and go with ballistic tip, Sierra Game King sort of bullets. Black bears are not hard to kill. I've shot several. You'd be better off with a bullet that grenades after entry. Broadside heart/lung bullet placement is assumed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.