close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Black Powder..any fun?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, May 14, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Ok keep seeing these people at the ange shooting the black powder rifles...seems like a lot of work per shoot but for plinking seems like it might be fun. Anyone have any input about the smke poles?:confused:

2. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Love it! once you get started it's addicting! not much up fron to get started, gotta love it. let us know if you have ????

3. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

I was picking up some cleaning supplies and the gun shop showed me a cap lock not in line for $99...did not catch name...realy want a new Pistol...but who knows.

4. jerry

USA
    go best of both, get a cap & ball pistol!

5. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

ITS A BLAST! HAD A .50 CAL HAWKEN WHEN I WAS IN THE SERVICE IN GERMANY. A BUNCH OF US WOULD GET TOGETHER AND SHOOT THEM ON THE WEEKENDS. ITS NOT ABOUT SPEED OR PRECISION,ITS ABOUT HAVING FUN. SURE YOU CAN GET THEM PRETTY ACCURATE OVER TIME BUT WE HAD THE MOST FUN TALKING DURING RELOADING AND CHECKING OUT WHAT THE OTHERS DID, ITS A WAY TO GET BACK IN TOUCH WITH THE WAY OUR ANCESTORS HAD TO SHOOT AND BE ACCURATE OR NO FOOD ON THE TABLE THAT NIGHT. EXCELLENT FAMILY GET TOGETHER. HAVE FUN!

6. jerry

USA
    NRA Joe
    Where in Germany, what branch? I'm going back in October. Live at Sembach and work at Ramstien

7. NRAJOE

JERRY, WHARTON BARRACKS,HEILBRONN, 237TH ENG. BATT. TRYED TO FIND OUT IF WHARTON WAS STILL THERE BUT I THINK IT GOT CLOSED DOWN. WAS THERE 1976-1979.

8. jerry

USA
    thats cool, my sister in law is German, her and my brother are going there on vacation this week I'll ask her if I remember. this will be my 3rd trip over. good duty,

9. Doglips, blackpowder= handloading in the field, and on the range every time. Very relaxing to do it like our forefathers did.

10. jerry

USA
    not to mention the look on the metalic cart. shooter's faces when the cloud rolls by thier shooting lane. kind of makes one feel guilty,,,, NOT!

the weird thing is, after a day of huffing BP sulfur, your mildest farts smell very bad to you. you will run from yourself. just a side note :)

11. NRAJOE

YOU NEED HELP JERRY! LOL!

12. jerry

USA
    so Iv'e been told! I laugh out loud at my self every day, keeps the grey hairs at bay :)

13. Black powder seems like fun, how much is it to get started in that as far as, caps, ball, powder ect.
    -Jesse

14. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

I love traditional Black powder guns pistols and rifles but those caseless center fire rifles(Modern Black powder rifles oh hold it they use a pellet) are not black powder guns. A black powder rifle uses black powder which in reality is safer than smokeless as you can never get an over pressure.

15. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Hummm you all got my attention....could delay the IRS a few more weeks...least thats what Im paying lawyers for....Gun Store (Indian River Sportsman) talked me out of an inline and was showing me the cap lock....cant think of the brand but was short like a carbine and retail was $99. Said to use Black powder (I guess he ment FFg and not the pelets) and round balls...offer to teach if I decided to go for it. I was told that a pound of powder ($10) 50 balls ($9) some caps and patches (also cleaning gear) was all I needed to start (About $40 + Rifle) was all I needed.
    Now I got to decide 9mm Pistol or Cap Lock........better get some flowers and send my gun bearer Gurka to see if my queen will increase our spending on the milita :).
    You know I got to stop going into theses stores..reading shotgun news...and the flyers I get....this is gettingto be expensive :)

16. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Way I see it, the way to use black powder is in the guns that our ancestors used it in. I have a replica of a shortened Brown Bess pattern flintlock musket that I use in Revolution War Re-enacting. Great gun. It's a whole different world, but a good one.

17. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

I started shooting muzzleloaders again. This time I went in-line. It makes cleanup quite a bit easier when I can pull the breech plug and nipple on the bench with a tool that came with the gun.

Darned good way to make 50 rounds last all afternoon. Relaxing and deliberate. Just make sure to clean up your gun right away after a shooting session or you'll quickly shorten the useful life of your smokepole or pistol. Soap and water (or any water based cleaner) are far better than petroleum based cleaners.