Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting a new toy realy bad but the car parts and teenagers have been wipeing out my extra $$ like NRAJOE on a six pack :) Im going to a few gun stores today and am thinking about putting something nice on Law_a-Way or just ordering a balck powder pistol out right (want an HK but out of my price range).....So I need some input on the black powder revolvers:

I noticed that Midsouth and Cabals has the Colt/Remington Army copies for about $110 these are 44 cal single action......but I have not realy looked around much. So here are the ????

The pistol will be used for plinking/targets....I have 2 black powder rifles so I know some things about cap/ball...but not about cap/ball pistols.

Does anyoen here own a cap/ball revolver? Are they "fun" to shoot or a major pain? Is 44cal about normal ... and any better than the 36 cal I've seen?? What the recoil like in a black powder revolver...ie 38, 9mm, 25acp?????? What is the "stoping" power of a cap/ball revolver.....Im guessing a 44cal is about equal to a modern 38....am I close?? Do they make black powder pistol bullets like they do for the rifles or am I going to be limited to round ball??? How accurate are these things...say 25 yards and under?
Ok thats about it for the ???? Need to have some of you all talk me into or out of getting one of these things....thanks all :):target:

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,475 Posts
The Cap&Balls can be fun, and recoil isn't at all bad. Not a sharp jolt like a modern gun, more a softer push and it bucks up (it's supposed to, don't try to hold it down).
There are bullets made for them, but I'va always used the round balls. The .44's normally use .452 diameter, but some use up to .457's (Ruger's Old Army, for instance). Muzzle velocity is (I think) in the neighborhood of 700 FPS or so.
The biggest down side is that they foul up fairly quickly from BP residue, even Pyrodex does this. They must be completely stripped and cleaned after shooting - having the rifle, you know the drill. Haven't tried the new 777 powder yet - it may be a lot cleaner. BP and Pyrodex cause my revolver to get sticky and jam up after a half dozen cylinder loads. Mine is an old Italian replicolt, and accuracy is pretty poor. The good ones can be good shooters.

·
Registered
491 Posts
From what I have seen the navy colts are good up to about 50 yards or more. I have fired them a few times. The recoil is close to any big revolver. I have always just fired a round ball from them. Most are designed with a slower twist makeing the round ball the ideal load. Lots of fun to shoot not the most fun to clean just like the rifles.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
They are fun. I recommend a steel framed model. The Ruger "Old Army" is available in stainless and is essentially a black powder BlackHawk, made to look like a 1858 Remington. The Remingtons are stronger, and easier to clean, but the Colts are nice too. The Colts have a funky design that is quite different from modern firearms, but surprisingly accurate. The .36 cal pistols are about equal to a .38 spl. I like "conical" bullets rather than balls in my 1851 Colt replica. 20 gr of powder behind a 125 gr bullet works great for me. Be sure to buy a good book or 3. It is important to take precautions to avoid chainfire. I recommend "prelubed" bullkets and wads.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
One other thing to remember is that you can buy a replacement cylinder for the Remington Army that will allow you to shoot LC .45. The draw back is that the cylinder runs as much or more then the pistol. But then you also own an unregistered new handgun.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,319 Posts
I had a 1860 Colt Replica made by Umberti of Italy when I finished my last year in the service at FT. Knox. It was a lot of fun...used to overload it a little to get it bucking and it always stood up. Would like to have another one, but it probably wouldn't get shot alot. For the ultimate, Colt makes a third generation cap&ball to original specs for around $500-600 dollars. Even though its a replica, it really isn't because it truly is a Colt! Ruger makes a nice stainless that looks like a Remington for around the same price and the thing is built like a tank!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I've been shooting C&B revolvers for some time. The one main difference from rifles is in the wadding used.

You probably know that the C&B ball has to be an airtight fit in the chamber of the cylinder. If not, a spark can get thru and set off the load in the next chamber (happened to me once, with an Italian Colt Walker).

Oldtimers would cover the face of the ball with grease after loading to seal it off. Nowadays a good under-the-ball wad will keep this from happening. I use Wonder Wads in all my C&B guns and find them excelllent - clean, dry, and they do the job.

In my opinion the Remington style is so superior to the Colt that there's no reason not to get one. If the gun has a good-size front sight it should hit close to aim at 25 yds. If it has a cheap little bead sight (like on a shotgun) expect it to hit a foot high.

Steel-frame is worth the extra few bucks, but brass will hold up for every-so-often shooting.

Some Italian guns have poor quality springs that just don't last. Otherwise they are good guns.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I love the smell of Pyrodex! That chain fire can be pretty nasty. It happened to a buddy of mine while I was standing next to him. He had a Colt Navy replica and 3 rounds fired at once. We both got nailed pretty good with pieces of lead but werent hurt. That was the last time he ever shot that gun. He went home and destroyed it!! Yep, smear grease over the cylinder to be safe so you dont do what this guy did.

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
go for the 58 colt or the 1847 Walker I have both and I have to say the walker is the most fun out of the two 60 grains of Black Powder and a 147gr ball is a max load and its fun

·
Registered
781 Posts
I've shot a Ruger old army before. Extremely fun, but not all that useful from what I could see. The coolest part is all the big flames and smoke. That and scaring the crap out my friends mom shooting caps in the house and me lieing on the floor when she came running in. Bwhahaha!

Downside is the thing rusted like mad because it didn't get cleaned for a couple monthes.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I'm in the same boat, Doglips, considering a black powder revolver. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the Remington 1858 model, since its the sturdiest. Wished the beautiful brass would hold up, but have to heed to reason. Maybe I'll have it plated some day. Anyone know how effective these are for hunting as a backup to a rifle?

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
I was watching a history channel program on the magnum, they claimed the walker colt has as much impact energy as the 44mag, well thats what they said anyway

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
ill give ya the advise i wish someone had given me before i bought my first black powder revolver....BUY STAINLESS!!!!!! lots easier to clean! go with the ruger! great gun! and yes they are a blast to shoot! if you can get an extra cylinder too! loading every 6 rounds can get a bit boring after 50 rounds or so. and the recoil aint nothing at all. i had a couple 44's and the recoil of my 38 spl was a heck of alot more than them. one other thing,when loading be sure to grease the open end of the cylinder (over the top of the bullets) it is possible for a spark to get by the ball (although unlikely) but it could be disasterous!

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Oh, about the grease:
people use VEGETABLE SHORTNING, not grease. Get a can of Crisco type shortening and spoon some into a small can to keep with your reloading gear.
Note:
I use DRY LUBED conical bullets and wads, and so do not use grease.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The 58 Remington has a stronger frame, but if you stay within load limits, this is pretty much a non-issue, since you won't be using it as a club. The colt design does take more shots to foul it to the point that it fails to function. Both can be just as accurate as modern revolvers. Uberti makes really well finished and accrate pieces, but Pietta (Cabelas) is only a small step behind and can be had for quite a lot less. One thing that can make the experience more fun is to make yourself a loading stand. You need an L shape with a stop at the base and a U notch at the top to support the piece while you load. Much easier with both hands free! Also, you can get Pyrodex pellets for revolvers, more expensive, but much easier, especially when the wind is blowing. Black powder is great fun, the pace is different-I can load and shoot a couple of cylinders in the time the guy next to me can go through a box of 9mm. I enjoy it a lot, even load black powder 45 Colt and 38 Special.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm new to this forum, but I've been shootin' BP fo over 20 years. One thing I'd like to add is don't use grease or petroleum products on your BP's. Tallow,beeswax, parafine wax, Crisco, Young Country Lube 103, TC Natural Lube 1000. Do yourself a favor and try some of these. You'd be suprised how much longer you can shoot with less fowling, and a fewer number of broken hands or springs. And your barrels will love it too.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts