Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Black Squirrel

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by rando, Mar 13, 2018.

1. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I travel a lot and see many critters off of the roads and interstates as I drive daily. I go to this one place now and then to do work and they have a lot of woods and a stream down the hill. I have seen this black squirrel a few times there. He was brave today and came out. Got a pic or two. He actually has a white tip on his tail. Early today I was on Interstate 95 and a white critter caught my eye also. I thought it was a goat at first but then realized it is state lands and an isolated area of no houses. There was a big hill and it was a pure white deer. Extremely big and thinking it was a buck but they just shed their antlers if it was. Wish I had a pic of him. I was traveling about 70MPH and there is a huge dam a few hundred yards from where I seen him so recognized the area. IMG_2BlackSquirel.jpg IMG_BlackSquirrel.jpg
    neophyte, ChaZam, gsbuickman and 3 others like this.
  2. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

Good catch.
    We have a community of them near here.
    neophyte and ChaZam like this.

3. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

was the squirrel a fox squirrel? they are about twice the size of a common gray squirrel. fox squirrels come in black, red or silver fur. a black gray squirrel would be a real rarity.
    rando and neophyte like this.
  4. Coach

Coach G&G Evangelist

Not meaning to sound like a wise azz, but the only place I've come across black squirrels was in the Bronx. None in the area of where I live, plenty Red, Brown and Grey. I have seen a white (Piebald) deer around here a few years back.
    rando likes this.
  5. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

Cool, around these here parts we have plenty of grey squirrels and a few red squirrels here and there. The only dear we have around here in the high desert are big non-typicalnon-typical muley's & a few of them are piebald. As a matter of fact somebody on the bench got a few pictures of a piebald at the cemetery off latah st . not too long ago
  6. White Rook

White Rook G&G Evangelist

The first black squirrel I have ever seen was near Audie Murphy's grave in Arlington Cemetery.
  7. Hobbes

Hobbes G&G Regular

We have them here in northeast Alabama...they're larger than the Grey's
  8. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

Our neighborhood in Gadsden had black squirrels. It's the only place I've ever seen them in real life.
  9. draftingmonkey

draftingmonkey G&G Evangelist

My pappy had a pet Fox Squirrel when he was a teen in eastern Kansas.
  10. 455rocket

455rocket G&G Evangelist

I believe that the black squirrel is just a mutation of the gray squirrel. There is a population of them in North East Ohio on the Kent State University campus. We found several of them on a campus visit with our son last year. I'd like to bag one and put it on my wall.
  11. Mr.tbolt

Mr.tbolt G&G Enthusiast

And I see them just to the north of the
    Bronx, in Yonkers. There was a piebald deer around the county police barracks on the Saw Mill River Pkwy.
  12. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    We have three or four black squirrels who come to our yard to eat the stale bread and seed we put out for the birds, squirrels, and chipmunks. The grays in the neighborhood bully them.
  13. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Its not a Fox squirrel. We have Delmarva Fox squirrels here and protected. But we also have them on far west side of the state and called the Eastern Fox squirrel. I have one in the freezer and he is huge.
    blaster likes this.
  14. Mark Ricks

Mark Ricks G&G Newbie

I live in Ga and we have black fox
    Squirrels, red with grey or black heads or vice versa.
    Hobbes likes this.
  15. Please!! Don't shoot these poor things. Remember.....Black (squirrel) Lives Matter!!!
    Hobbes likes this.
  16. ronhart

ronhart G&G Regular

Black squirrels are fairly common in the Colorado Rocky Mountains, also known as Alberts squirrels.
    rando likes this.