close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Blast From the Past. DCM article on why they are there.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Stock Doc, May 17, 2002.

1. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

This explains why the DCM was started. Thought you all might enjoy it. Sorry for the poor qaulity but scanner hates being reduced in size I guess.Rick B

[​IMG]

2. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Thanks Rick. My Dad was a D.I. in WW2,and I hope he taught some of those "kids" to shoot as good as he taught me.

3. Thanks Rick. Side story of similar meaning. My two sons, Eagle Scouts have been and are in boot camp. They've said the young men and women (opinion withheld) who have the most trouble are the "city boys". One of the biggest obsticle is homesickness and just learning to use there hands; like which is the right and left one. They have gotten questions like, how do you know that. Their scouting background has given them a rounded outdoor education. As ASM I encourage canoeing, topo map reading and backpacking. My Motto is," the adults are the hardest to train" and "I'M NOT YOUR MOMMY!".

Last edited: May 22, 2002
  4. JackT

JackT G&G Newbie

Great article. I just finished a biography of Mr. Marine, Chesty Puller. Several references to the Garand and Carbine in that book. After the army came in with Garands at Guadacanal, "the increase in the firepower along the line was noticable." He ordered his officers to "get rid of those carbines and get a Garand or a BAR" when the Carbines froze up during the Cosin Res. battle in Korea. After his retirement in 1959 he gave a speech saying "I'll tell you why we can't beat the Russians in Europe. The men we have over there can't shoot and they're carrying carbines. What's wrong with the American soldier that he can't carry a good old fashion 10 pound American rifle?" He really believed in marksmanship training. He nearly attacked an admiral when he proposed closing down the Marine range near Pearl Harbor. Here's to straight shooting.