close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Blast From the Past. Mr. Carbine

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Stock Doc, May 14, 2002.

1. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

Does anyone no about the invention of the carbine from a prisoner and wood? There was a movie on this but I forget the name. If I remember right this is from a 1960's American Rifleman . Enjoy,, Rick
    [​IMG]

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

COOL OLD DUDE, THOUGHT IT WAS ELMER KEITH FOR A SECOND THERE!

3. wes

wes G&G Newbie

I believe the name the name of the movie is "Carbine Williams." Haven't seen it in years though.

4. Rick, although I can't cite the source, I read in an authoritative book that the "prisoner inventing the M1 carcine" story was an "urban legend". If you want me to look, I can.

5. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

Yes that would be cool to know the truth. If I get a moment I may try to dig also just to busy lately. Thanks,,Rick

6. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Yep, and if I recall it correctly, Jimmy Stuart played the role of "Carbine" Williams. Good Shooting! Eric

7. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Mr. Williams played a small part in the development of the carbine,the short-stroke piston and something else,that escapes me now. From what I have heard,he was hired by Winchester,(I think),and was kind of a pain-in-the-*****,wanting full recognition of it's development.

8. SteveG

SteveG G&G Newbie

Omaha
    James Stuart played David "Marshall" Williams in the movie Carbine Williams. In the movie Stuart gets put into solitary and comes up with the idea of his short stroke piston design. Later he is working in the prison workshop and builds a rifle that the warden allows him to shoot right there in prision! Gotta love Hollywood! I never did find out how much of the movie was true. I can guess a good bit of it was, because I believe that Williams was alive at the time and I am sure they try to get it right, or close....you know, for Hollywood.

Ok, I'll shut up now.

Steve G in NE

9. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

Last edited: May 15, 2002