Blow Guns

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Palladin8, May 10, 2020.

1. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

Anyone have experience with blow guns? I have watched a few videos on Youtube of people hunting game animals with what are called large bore blow guns and I have to say i'm pretty impressed. I was thinking about ordering one online and mess around with it. Cold Steel makes a large bore blow gun and you can even get darts that broadhead style and razor sharp. I would like to use it on pigeons here around the house since Airguns are not legal to discharge and they do make quite a bit of noise with homes being on top of one another.

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-B...152464&sprefix=cold+steel+blow,aps,223&sr=8-3

Jaison, rando, blaster and 2 others like this.
  2. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I’ve got one I got off of Sportsman’s Guide years ago. Lot’s of fun and quite accurate. never tried hunting with it even though along with the target darts, it came with broad heads. There are tube vids on making your own darts.

Jaison, rando, ChaZam and 3 others like this.

3. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

Many years ago I bought one for my younger brothers to mess around with. They were not the large bore type and the darts were made from wire and beads.

When I went home to visit I found out my Father had destroyed both of them because my brother's were killing the Black Squirrels and a neighbor told my father that they were protected and she was going to call the Police.

ChaZam, blaster, Huey Rider and 2 others like this.
  4. I have one that I bought about 15 years ago. Found that I could consistantly hit the telephone pole with it out the back door which is about 20 yards. Never hunted with it though, just got it to goof off with.

Haven't played with that thing in years, might have to dig it out and see if it still works.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    ChaZam, rando, Palladin8 and 2 others like this.
  5. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    That was the same type I had. A couple of us at work many years ago ordered a bunch of them together. They were aluminum tube and a camo finish. Had high temper thin wire in a bundle and a long string of beads. They had instructions how to make the darts. You cut the wire in small pieces like 4" long and pulled beads off of string. You heated the end of a wire with a candle or small alcohol heater. You pushed wire into it and melted into bead. I also ordered the cone shaped ends. You just made the darts as you needed. They also had a booklet with ideas to make potent poison from household stuff. I took down a few pigeons with mine. We used to practice in our warehouse aiming at an old dart board. Those wire darts would penetrate in a tree pretty deep. Pretty dangerous and not a toy by all means.

Jaison, blaster, Dutch and 3 others like this.
  6. White Rook

White Rook G&G Evangelist

When I was stationed in the Philippines, I would shoot Gecko's with a blowgun.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    Jaison, Dutch, Palladin8 and 4 others like this.
  7. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk G&G Evangelist

Still very much in use as a hunting weapon in parts of Central and South America. I have used a couple of the wood ones from Central America. Despite their long length and being wood, they are light and easy to use. With a little practice, they are very accurate.

blaster, Palladin8, rando and 2 others like this.
  8. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Long ago as a young kid, I had a toy blow gun, pumped to activate to shoot pellets out!!!

ChaZam likes this.
  9. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

I have one of the old aluminum tube ones that came with the plastic beads. it was really accurate and hard hitting. the darts were only lethal to small animals like lizards , frogs, mice etc. that one in the video that was killing wart hogs impressed me! I couldn't stand it and went and ordered one of those Cold Steel big bore blow guns!:D looks like a good way to eliminate those coons under the feeder while sitting on the stand.

Jaison, Dragunov, rando and 3 others like this.
  10. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

I ordered one as well. Should be waiting for me when I get home.

rando, PAPA G, ChaZam and 1 other person like this.
  11. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

I have been practicing with the new blow gun and am getting pretty good with it. I am hitting a 16.9oz about 50% of the time from roughly 15yds. The other hits are just grazing the bottle. It's really powerful when using full force. I had to use a pair of pliers to pull the darts from the pine board. I am sure if I were to hit a pigeon it would certainly penetrate clear through it.

PAPA G, Huey Rider, Jaison and 2 others like this.
  12. blue fox

blue fox G&G Evangelist

sounds like Jaison should get ready to attend a lot of family funerals. :D

PAPA G, Jaison, rando and 1 other person like this.
  13. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I made a blow gun once. 120 psi of air would drive the darts through a phone book. Not very portable though - the air hose wasn't long enough.

PAPA G and goat roper like this.
  14. rando

Maryland
    Looks like you are getting used to shooting it. It is not hard to figure out the line of sight . Ahhh yes it will kill a pigeon and dont ask me how I know that.

Palladin8 and PAPA G like this.
  15. ACfixer

ACfixer Global Warming Enthusiast Forum Contributor

L35-KAPV
    I know an AC fixing guy that might have brought one back from Mexico one... until he learned there were illegal in Kalifornistan. Yes, you read that right.

PAPA G and Jaison like this.
  16. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

I recently got the big bore blow gun. I don't think its any deadlier that the old "small bore" one I've had. as far as killing something as big as a wart hog, they had to have been using poison on their darts in that video.

rando and PAPA G like this.
  17. blue fox

blue fox G&G Evangelist

Maybe a portable air tank from a paintball gun?

PAPA G and Junction15 like this.
  18. 63B20

63B20 G&G Evangelist

Montana
    You say big bore what are the sizes?

PAPA G likes this.
  19. ACfixer

ACfixer Global Warming Enthusiast Forum Contributor

L35-KAPV
    Yep. The one that guy I knew ;) had, you aren't killing anything with it except maybe a small bird or something. I could see a bigger one taking a squirrel or maybe a rabbit even with a good shot because rabbits are pretty fragile, but a warthog? Not without an artificial air source of some sort and a much heavier projectile.

I don't even know what kind of poison you could use, sounds pretty dangerous to me to even handle something like that unless maybe if it's something that kills over a longer time period. I would think people in the Amazon regions for instance probably went out and shot a lot of animals with a poison dart, then were patient to let them die and gather them up later? I mean I really have no clue, but I can't imagine really incapacitating a game animal with one.

You get accurate very fast, especially for those of us that shot spitwads at the teacher. :D It is a very intuitive weapon, easier than a slingshot but along those lines.

PAPA G likes this.
  20. rando

Maryland
    Lance so you cant have Pea shooters in California?

PAPA G likes this.