Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the trigger on something I hope I'll never need.
Plate carrier, level III chest and side plates.
I hope to god I just threw away my money

·
Premium Member
24,837 Posts
I'm amazed it's still available!

What is your wait time supposed to be? Last I read was 8 - 12 weeks! :eek::eek:

Reactions: ChaZam

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I’ve had one for about 3 months now with level 4 plates. Ever since I left the military I felt rather unprepared without one. I go running with it to stay conditioned. I’m sure the neighbors think I’m a paranoid crazy pants but I don’t care

·
Registered
900 Posts
As retiree who wore both military and police vests and protection, I am curious as to the probability of needing one and secondly the likely hood of having it handy when the time comes. Second what are the odds then of only getting shot in the body with a 9mm or 5.56 or 00 buck which are the likely rounds coming our way.

I still have an old vest and while the old Kevlar weakens over time, I have no reluctance to throw it in if I needed to drive thru a riot torn area and it seems like most major city have such an area now. I do not however want anyone to see it, they know what it is.

In survival planning while most of us would stay put, if you do need to move on foot, which is more important? 10 pounds of vest or 10 pounds of ammo, or maybe 2 pounds of food, 2 pounds of water, and 5 pounds of ammo and 1 pound of toilet paper?

Not trashing the idea at all just thinking if a person has a family and has to move everything has a weight attached and any vest takes away that amount of other stuff. If you do not move, then one for every member of the family makes sense, after they have their own weapons and ammo on hand. My 2 cents.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
19,016 Posts
Me too.

We'll give it a few months and guess we'll see.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
As retiree who wore both military and police vests and protection, I am curious as to the probability of needing one and secondly the likely hood of having it handy when the time comes. Second what are the odds then of only getting shot in the body with a 9mm or 5.56 or 00 buck which are the likely rounds coming our way.

I still have an old vest and while the old Kevlar weakens over time, I have no reluctance to throw it in if I needed to drive thru a riot torn area and it seems like most major city have such an area now. I do not however want anyone to see it, they know what it is.

In survival planning while most of us would stay put, if you do need to move on foot, which is more important? 10 pounds of vest or 10 pounds of ammo, or maybe 2 pounds of food, 2 pounds of water, and 5 pounds of ammo and 1 pound of toilet paper?

Not trashing the idea at all just thinking if a person has a family and has to move everything has a weight attached and any vest takes away that amount of other stuff. If you do not move, then one for every member of the family makes sense, after they have their own weapons and ammo on hand. My 2 cents.
The odds of getting shot by those calibers are quite high because those are the most common calibers. My plates can stop more than just those as well. I have one because, being the man of the house and first defender, I’m the one most likely to get shot. So when things get really hairy, such as a crazed mob marching into my neighborhood vandalizing property and assaulting residents, time to strap up.

·
Super Moderator
16,694 Posts
I still have an old vest and while the old Kevlar weakens over time, I have no reluctance to throw it in if I needed to drive thru a riot torn area and it seems like most major city have such an area now.
There was an old level 3A soft vest at our out door range that was left out in the sun, snow and rain for several weeks if not a couple months. Someone must have shot it or used it as a demo and just left it in the steel target pile outdoors and left it there and nobody else bothered to pick it up and throw it away.

The vest was several years expired per its manufacturing tag. I think it was made early 2010-2013s or something and its expiration date was 5 years after that give or take.

I was like screw it lets see what this thing does. I set it down on the target berm and stood about 6 feet away and rapid fired about half a dozen 147 grain 9mm JHP rounds into it with my pistol. (just what I had with me at that moment in time)

The thing still stopped every single round. I think it was a Point Blank manufactured vest.

Gave me a lot more confidence in the "expired" stuff. Of course that's from an anecdotal sample size of one... and I would always not recommend relying on old expired armor vs new stuff considering the very purpose of the product... but hey... good to know.

·
Premium Member
24,837 Posts
.... and I would always not recommend relying on old expired armor vs new stuff considering the very purpose of the product... but hey... good to know.
Better than none at all, if that's what you had! Not everyone has "tax dollars" to spend for their PPE.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
19,016 Posts
There was an old level 3A soft vest at our out door range that was left out in the sun, snow and rain for several weeks if not a couple months. Someone must have shot it or used it as a demo and just left it in the steel target pile outdoors and left it there and nobody else bothered to pick it up and throw it away.

The vest was several years expired per its manufacturing tag. I think it was made early 2010-2013s or something and its expiration date was 5 years after that give or take.

I was like screw it lets see what this thing does. I set it down on the target berm and stood about 6 feet away and rapid fired about half a dozen 147 grain 9mm JHP rounds into it with my pistol. (just what I had with me at that moment in time)

The thing still stopped every single round. I think it was a Point Blank manufactured vest.

Gave me a lot more confidence in the "expired" stuff. Of course that's from an anecdotal sample size of one... and I would always not recommend relying on old expired armor vs new stuff considering the very purpose of the product... but hey... good to know.
lol...I've ops tested lotsa stuff -- including spam (which I don't think ever expires lol so long as the can still has a good seal) and MREs (they've got so much preservatives in them that if someone was eating alot of them they could do away with embalmers) -- well past its expiration date. No ill effects and I'm still here. Alot depends on what it is and the conditions of storage.

Sun, Snow, and rain can't help.

But yeah....I had an old gas mask still left over from the first gulf war (1991) and seems to still have a good seal and work. I tested (with ammonia) the old canister and it seems to still work with a good seal.

It sat on a shelf for years; the only reason it came out is our son discovered it and it was novel to him. Despite my experienced advice that MOPP was never something you WANTED to have to do or be in for hours he was enthusiastically wearing it for awhile to see what it was like.

I'm sure the novelty will fade in time lol.

But I did get a replacement Israeli canister (cheap on eBay) just for the heck of it to replace the 20 year old 'war veteran' one.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I am not trashing the concept, I have worn everything from a traditional law enforcement vest, to a flak jacket to a vest that was actually built into a tuxedo jacket-I spent several years on protective service teams and vests were everyday wear. In government executive protective teams, you are expected to take the bullet if things go south and you certainly want the best money can buy. And if I were once again going to a place where I might get shot, I would still put my old vest on. I just think the odds of actually having it on when needed by someone outside of law enforcement is pretty slim.

Even when used by professionals, the success rate for survival is probably overstated. As a practical matter most officers (67%) who are killed by guns, had vests on when they died. And those who died about 71% were shot in the head or throat, the other 29% mostly died from wounds in the torso. https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R43544.pdf

So, if you are in the 1/3 that only gets shot in the vest they are very effective. If you are one of the 2/3 that get shot in the head, throat or torso, not so much. I am not aware of any statistics showing that people outside of law enforcement having been saved by vests during riots or any other type of crime. My belief is that most bad guys are not good shots, that is probably why so many cops have been killed by shots outside the vest

Just my thoughts after years of wearing them on the job. I have noticed the last few years people buying the armored back packs for their kids who are at high risk of random shootings. In the bigger cities it does seem that the kids are at higher risk of being shot than adults.

My 2 cents.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts