Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know when the bolt action rifles came into being and who was the first manufacture?

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I think the first practical one was the Dreyse needle gun. The modern bolt action rifle did not appear all at once, various features were developed over hundreds of years.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That makes sense...I was just sitting here and wondered about that...thanks guys

·
Registered
105 Posts
Didn't Hiram Berdan develop a bolt action rifle for the Russian Army called the Berdan 1? I don't know when that happened, though.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
35,663 Posts
According to Smith's "Smallarms of the World", the first true bolt-action metallic cartridge rifle was the Swiss Vetterli. The Berdan and Needle gun's weren't quite there, though they certainly pointed the way. The Vetterli used a rimfire cartridge that was still sold as late as the thirties, due to popularity of the rifles. They were inspired by the American tube-magazine designs, but the Swiss wanted a non-lever design that was more useful for prone shooting. The American lever-actions were better for the mounted shooter, but difficult to use when prone.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Like I said, the features of the modern bolt action rifle did not come all at once. Dreyse was the first to make a bolt action rifle that used a cartridge. Your definition seems to be the first with a metallic cartridge. Someone else may define it as the first to use a metallic centerfire cartridge with a box magazine. The needle gun was the first to use a bolt and a cartridge and pioneered most of the features of the modern bolt action rifle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts