close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bolt action rifles

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dale, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Does anyone know when the bolt action rifles came into being and who was the first manufacture?

2. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I think the first practical one was the Dreyse needle gun. The modern bolt action rifle did not appear all at once, various features were developed over hundreds of years.

3. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

I believe the origin is Europe because in the US we were still using various breech loaders until the lever action came along.

4. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    I think Klaus is right the Needle gun was first in Prussia

5. That makes sense...I was just sitting here and wondered about that...thanks guys

6. Hans R Colt

Hans R Colt G&G Newbie

Didn't Hiram Berdan develop a bolt action rifle for the Russian Army called the Berdan 1? I don't know when that happened, though.

7. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

8. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

According to Smith's "Smallarms of the World", the first true bolt-action metallic cartridge rifle was the Swiss Vetterli. The Berdan and Needle gun's weren't quite there, though they certainly pointed the way. The Vetterli used a rimfire cartridge that was still sold as late as the thirties, due to popularity of the rifles. They were inspired by the American tube-magazine designs, but the Swiss wanted a non-lever design that was more useful for prone shooting. The American lever-actions were better for the mounted shooter, but difficult to use when prone.

9. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Like I said, the features of the modern bolt action rifle did not come all at once. Dreyse was the first to make a bolt action rifle that used a cartridge. Your definition seems to be the first with a metallic cartridge. Someone else may define it as the first to use a metallic centerfire cartridge with a box magazine. The needle gun was the first to use a bolt and a cartridge and pioneered most of the features of the modern bolt action rifle.