Bolt Problem

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by tnjeff, May 26, 2008.

1. tnjeff

tnjeff G&G Newbie

Ok, so I cleaned my m44 today, stripped the bolt and everything (chickened out on removing the extractor). When I put the thing back together, after a few cycles of the bolt it would not open unless it was cocked. When I looked at it, it looked like the extractor was developing a burr on the top edge. Can't imagine what this could be. When I look at the connector bar, it looks like it's slightly "bent up" at the end where the bolt head is. I can't imagine that I would have bent it during assembly or disassembly though. I tried the bolt from my 91/30 in the m44 and it too is hard to open when de-cocked.
    Thing is, though I didn't work the bolt that many times before I cleaned it, it didn't seem to do that. Does anyone have any idea what I might have done?
    Thanks

2. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I hope Moose jumps in on this one. I had the same problem with my m39. I did find that on my m91 the bolt was smooth before I cleaned it up. I cleaned it up, wiped out all the dirt, rust, oil and lube, relubed and reassembled and the bolt got stiffer. Need to take it apart and lube it with white grease.

3. tnjeff

tnjeff G&G Newbie

Thanks Tex. I dunno, I'm thinking this is some sort of mechanical problem. I can take the bolt head and the bolt body off of the connecting bar and then reassemble and the bolt head has a little "wiggle". put the bolt back in the gun, cycle it five or six times, and by the sixth time, it won't open when decocked. I pull the bolt out, and now the bolt head wiggles more than it did before. The connecting bar does seem to bent up at the front, just behind the locking lug, at least compared to the one on my other gun. I guess I'll order a new connecting bar and see if that helps. Maybe it didn't matter as much when it was gunked up.

4. texnmidwest

5. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

^ Called the Doctor, and woke him up...

6. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

He needs to take it to a gunsmith if it is not a lubrication problem...He may have bent his connector...Firing pin may be out of adjustment too..
    Rich

7. SwedeSteve

+1. I'd also remove the extractor and clean it real good.

8. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

If man has no problems on earth,he buys a mosen to have something to completely baffle him. sam.

9. SwedeSteve

LOL Sam! Ain't that the truth!

10. tnjeff

tnjeff G&G Newbie

Thanks guys. I did order a new connector. I'll see what that does and let you know. Thanks again.

11. killer

killer G&G Newbie

Where you getting your parts from?

12. tnjeff

tnjeff G&G Newbie

Ordered from Tennessee Gun Parts, Tennessee Gun Parts. They have a 10 dollar minimum order and shipping is included. The connector bar was $5.00.

13. SwedeSteve

So what else did you buy?

14. tnjeff

tnjeff G&G Newbie

I bought a spare extractor just in case. Didn't see anything else I really needed. This has really got me stumped. I would say that the connector is bent, just don't have any idea how I did it. So we'll see if a new one takes care of it. I still have to work on that burr on the extractor. I have a feeling I'm going to learn alot from this one! :scratchchin:

15. texnmidwest

That connector was probably bent when you got it. So, no need to blame yourself. Have fun with your rifle. I am learning a lot with my M91 as well. Still not through cleaning it up. Then the work on the stock starts.

16. I took the bolt one of my M39s completely apart and cleaned and lubed Put it back in the receiver and it's harder to cock now than it was. I'll take it apart again and polish the caming surfaces and try lubing with some lithium grease. "If it ain't broke...........":):)

17. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Mosins only work when they're dirty!

18. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I bet you are Over adjusting the firing pin...are you using the gauge ???

19. SwedeSteve

I bet he didn't, LOL.

20. tnjeff

tnjeff G&G Newbie

I did use the gauge, and it looked fine, but I'm curious..how would a firing pin being out of adjustment cause this particular problem?

Sure I'm using the gauge. How else could I tell when I filed enough off?
    (kidding...don't try this at home.)